02/28 - The Ordinary and Unremarkable Thursday!

Discussion in 'Daily mTurk HITs Threads' started by Melting Glacier, Feb 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cipher

Cipher Turker

Ratings:
    +46
    Kylie Xiong [A1Q9T1OEMLJKCF] Answer a survey about your opinions on Coke Zero - $0.30 | PANDA

Generous

Unrated

Unrated
    $16.88 / hour
    00:01:04 / completion time
    Pros:
    Cons:

Qualifications:
    To read Kylie Xiong's full profile check out TurkerView!

2. Randomacts

Randomacts Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +124,073
    I have like 10 grams of cumin that I should prob use for something.

3. Tri

Tri Active Turker

Ratings:
    +165
    Curry.

4. tricker

tricker Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +14,571
    I put cumin on loads of stuff.

I make a great double stuffed baked potato with potatoes (duh), butternut squash, butter and loads of cumin.

And now that I just tasted tumeric straight, that is also going into chili and into more soups. I need to use it more often.

5. morweeg

morweeg Triple Double Certified Organic Batch Master

Ratings:
    +54,131
    I thought the secret ingredient for curry was apple?

6. ChrisTurk

ChrisTurk Administrator

Ratings:
    +162,927
    Aside from what people have said, the rules for the forum are much older than TV, have never been updated to the growth/changes in the forum (or mturk), etc etc. Editing forum posts is also easy & meaningless, so content here gets nuked at a much higher clip.

In contrast to TV, which largely relies on people being able to read something & know it came from the person writing it & isn't being manipulated at my random whims. I will not hide a review unless it is absurdly blatantly destroying a survey's purpose & likely in a malicious manner. There is no way to edit the content of a review on TV w/o the reviewer doing it themselves, so I can't (and wont) "snip" info out of a review, it's kind of an "all or nothing" proposition, so there is generally way more leeway afforded to workers on a review.

People do lose reviews on TV to things, but essentially never if it isn't outright reported on TV and even then I guarantee I miss some b/c people write things like "CT pls" and think I have the same level of knowledge/understanding of the situation they were living in 6 hours ago when I don't, and I generally will lean towards not removing a review if I don't have a very clear reason to do so. Or simple misclicks, occasionally I close a flag on accident lol.

Aaaaaand finally (and honestly) there is a time component involved. If I sat & moderated every review for survey content w/ a fine toothed comb TV would die a fiery death b/c nothing else would get done in the day lol. There is always going to be a bit of balance/trade off when it comes to the hours I can spend on any given aspect of the place (not just this, pick any idea/feature/etc), and hiding minor snippets of survey content that (hopefully) don't materially alter the entirety of the study naturally get placed rather low on the list. When I can fix things (ie removing answers from unpaid screener return reviews) I do them, and if there is content like on TO where entire IRB pages are pasted into the review & calls for pitchforks go out I (generally) have removed it in the past (saving for public name/university references) but yea it's always going to be more common on TV than the forums.

Also not so finally but as a quip, if it ever becomes a serious problem the solution lies in the hands of these Universities. I'd be happy & open to an IRB representative of their choosing to peruse the place & check for study altering material in reviews. They are 100% the ones who should be doing this as they're the only ones who actually know what is/isn't material to a study. Plenty of requesters do it themselves already (as they should) & AFAIK none have had any problems getting workers to alter the review when it's pointed out to them (most workers aren't malicious, they just have no clue what is material to the study b/c that isn't their job) but this isn't an issue that materially affects TV, nor is it a problem simply for TV. Completely obliterating it from TV would leave it on TO or other forums because there is no official communication channel for workers so the "best" one is going to end up w/ this content like it or not. It's going to exist, the only question is where and are Universities going to give a shit about their own research to become involved in the process.

Continually they balk at that part of the issue because just like w/ Amazon we generally do a downright astounding job of policing ourselves & covering their gaps of effort despite the absurdly distributed & anti-cooperative nature of our existence in the ecosystem.

Not perfect, but generally good and there is definitely a standard I wouldn't want to see TV drop below, which I think it currently does a pretty good job at avoiding (plenty will disagree, FWIW).

Anyway... If you do see something you think is egregious just report it (on TV, not the forums.. well both if you want but only one really matters much)

• LOL LOL x 1
    • Love Love x 1
    • WOW WOW x 1
  7. ChrisTurk

ChrisTurk Administrator

Ratings:
    +162,927
    hit pagedown :p

• LOL LOL x 1
  8. morweeg

Ratings:
    +54,131
    tl;dr

• LOL LOL x 1
  9. ChrisTurk

ChrisTurk Administrator

Ratings:
    +162,927
    Universities should be doing this shit, not me.

• Today I Learned Today I Learned x 1
  10. dan

dan daelian

Ratings:
    +61,817
    wait for my refractory period and I'll have another batch

• WOW WOW x 2
    • LOL LOL x 1
  11. Randomacts

Randomacts Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +124,073
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. Tracy Wethington

Tracy Wethington The Bone Crusher

Ratings:
    +22,085
    nvm

• WOW WOW x 2
    • LOL LOL x 1
  13. dan

dan daelian

Ratings:
    +61,817
    pretty good on hard boiled eggs too

• Nom Nom Nom! Nom Nom Nom! x 1
    • WOW WOW x 1
  14. morweeg

Ratings:
    +54,131
    I think people seriously think it's a typo and not on purpose.

• LOL LOL x 3
  15. Tracy Wethington

Ratings:
    +22,085
    Dang...I deleted it and you beat me to it :emoji_joy:

16. Kayashi

Kayashi Titler

Ratings:
    +14,908
    that ship has sailed

• LOL LOL x 1
  17. rippy

rippy Well-Known Turker

Ratings:
    +1,627
    New Requester Profile!

chong wang [A3GI5LWALTL6EM] Short Survey (within 3 minutes) - $0.10 | PANDA

Generous

Unrated

Unrated
    $17.14 / hour
    00:00:21 / completion time
    Pros:
    Fairly straightforward.
    Cons:

Qualifications:
    To read chong wang's full profile check out TurkerView!

18. morweeg

Ratings:
    +54,131
    @A6_Foul_Out

• LOL LOL x 2
  19. tricker

tricker Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +14,571
    I love fried eggs, over hard, which is essentially a spread out hb egg. I put red pepper on those already.

Tomorrow's eggs will have cumin, red pepper, and tumeric.

I also make devilled eggs a lot. I'm going to sneak in some cumin and see what people think. I make mine regular, green onion, and garlic already, so cumin is now next in my devilled egg experiments.

• Nom Nom Nom! Nom Nom Nom! x 2
  20. Tracy Wethington

Ratings:
    +22,085
    :oops: Has not.

:hitwithrock:

• LOL LOL x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.