05/04 - Swimming Saturday!

Discussion in 'Daily mTurk HITs Threads' started by TissueHime, May 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheNerdyAnarchist

TheNerdyAnarchist Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +4,680
    lol - it didn't actually "pop" but it was collapsed... "spontaneous pneumothorax"

Woke up with pain from my mid back around my left side to my chest and had a little difficulty breathing. Went to work just thinking maybe it was just some weird passing thing. It got worse as the day went on, and on my lunch break, I called my boss and said I was going to the hospital.

First, it's just the pain...like general soreness..then it's like having a heavy object sitting on your chest, and you can't fully catch your breath. Then, it develops into coughing fits, and with those, you *really* can't catch your breath. Apparently it's not completely unheard of for it to just spontaneously collapse like that...more often in taller, thin men (I'm 6' and like 145 lbs soaking wet)

• WOW WOW x 4
    • Today I Learned Today I Learned x 2
  2. BenSolo

BenSolo Well-Known Turker

Ratings:
    +1,762
    I think you're right, if you don't get to a doctor within a short amount of time you could die from a collapsed lung

• WOW WOW x 1
  3. TheNerdyAnarchist

Ratings:
    +4,680
    In my situation, there was obviously plenty of warning time, but had I left it (i.e. gone back to work and just tried to go about my day) I'd probably eventually have become hypoxic, lost consciousness, and gone into respiratory arrest. Judging by how I personally felt (by no means a valid medical explanation here), I'd say I still had several hours before anything that "severe" would have occurred.

4. BenSolo

Ratings:
    +1,762
    Did they have to put the tube into your chest that pumped air in while it healed?

5. TheNerdyAnarchist

Ratings:
    +4,680
    Yep...that's a whole other fun story to tell (I touched on it a few days ago here actually).

The doctor who put the chest tube in was a jerk...I was very uneasy and trying to ask questions for reassurance, etc. and he never answered/spoke to me. Then they brought in a bunch of students to observe (I said it was okay...wouldn't have if I'd known what would happen), and the doctor almost started to cut before I was anesthetized.

During the procedure one of the students fainted, and everyone started going over to take care of them...meanwhile, I started waking up mid-procedure because they weren't paying attention. One of the nurses in the room saw my sister at a baseball game (I had here there for company/comfort) a couple months later and said that she "prayed" that I wasn't conscious enough to remember it because it was - the nurse's words - "a shitshow"...luckily I wasn't.

Spent the weekend in the hospital with a tube in my side.

• Today I Learned Today I Learned x 1
    • Love Love x 1
    • WOW WOW x 1
  6. TheNerdyAnarchist

Ratings:
    +4,680
    I just re-read your post...I didn't need to go on a respirator or anything like that. They just put in a chest tube to drain the air and fluid from the area. The lung reinflates itself at that point...

It's kind of like you see on tv (but not as fast) where they jam a syringe into someone's chest and you hear the air that's built up escape and the lung just fills back up with your normal breathing.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  7. JaceGhost

JaceGhost New Turker

Ratings:
    +0
    Title: Study in French and in Dutch (for bilinguals) [ $ | $ ] PANDA
    Requester: Tami Kricheli Katz [A5RD8IS2Q61ZI]
    TurkerView: [ $18.20 / hour ]
    Description: Tasks in French and Dutch. You mush read write and speak both languages as if each was your native language. Please DO NOT take this HIT if you took one of our other studies for bilinguals.
    Duration: 00:30:00
    Available: 1
    Reward: $2.00
    Qualifications:
    • CannotParticipate DoesNotExist [ Request | How to Use ]
    • Total approved HITs GreaterThan 500,
    [31N4U9IG7RDK4GPZGKE6CTUW9XDSW6]

8. johnxyz

johnxyz Well-Known Turker TurkerView Masters

Ratings:
    +1,674
    Sam [A3HOXGDFSFPE3Z] Short Questionnaire - $1.50 | PANDA

Generous

<24 hours

Unrated
    $18.95 / hour
    00:04:45 / completion time
    Approved!
    Pros:
    Same-day approval
    Cons:
    Writing in the first part - naming examples of things

Qualifications: Total approved HITs > 1000; Masters Exists ; HIT approval rate (%) > 95; Location EqualTo US;
    To read Sam's full profile check out TurkerView!

9. johnxyz

johnxyz Well-Known Turker TurkerView Masters

Ratings:
    +1,674
    Nadeesha Bandara [A3RXT3TZ446SDT] Answer a survey on logos(~ 10 minutes) - $0.75 | PANDA

Generous

Unrated

Unrated
    $25.00 / hour
    00:01:48 / completion time
    Pros:
    Cons:
    Memory checks

Qualifications: Exc: [4649351-144741] DoesNotExist ; Total approved HITs >= 1000; HIT approval rate (%) >= 95; Location In US;
    To read Nadeesha Bandara's full profile check out TurkerView!

10. TheNerdyAnarchist

Ratings:
    +4,680
    (if this were to happen, I'd assume the patient is already coding and it'd be done as an emergency/stop-gap measure until a proper chest tube can be put in)

11. Kayashi

Kayashi Titler

Ratings:
    +14,908
  12. BenSolo

Ratings:
    +1,762
    Jeez, medical horror stories in here lol Glad you survived

13. TissueHime

TissueHime Survey Slinger

Ratings: