11/15 - Forgotten Friday!

Discussion in 'Daily mTurk HITs Threads' started by BlueMountainBacon, Nov 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pronewbi3

Pronewbi3 Survey Slinger TurkerView Masters

Ratings:
    +27,826
    You know I've been reading twitter and basically being useless all day and...it's like, I want to be mad but then I realize while everyone else is avoiding the platform all the business card/receipt transcription hits will be all mine.

Suckers!

No really, have a good weekend all :) I'm going to go eat sushi or something.

Also CT please don't die while responding on twitter.... I wanted to heart it all but amazon will see it and ban me.

• LOL LOL x 5
    • Today I Learned Today I Learned x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  2. LinzoTurk

LinzoTurk New Turker

Ratings:
    +10
    Agreed. But the way he doubled down with the cotton picking comment is what really gets me.

3. AMindAtTurk

AMindAtTurk Survey Slinger TurkerView Masters

Ratings:
    +39,565
    CSA_Evanston [A1KC5KFTR68Q8Q] Consumer Survey (~ 5 minutes) - $0.50 | PANDA

Generous

Unrated

Unrated
    $14.63 / hour
    00:02:03 / completion time
    Pros:
    Cons:
    Brief writing

Qualifications: Exc: [5669104-182290] DoesNotExist ; Location In US;
    To read CSA_Evanston's full profile check out TurkerView!

4. AMindAtTurk

Ratings:
    +39,565
    Positly [A20SRJ4UG9W0H0] Short survey on social issues (~3.7 mins) - $0.42 | PANDA

Fair

Unrated

Unrated
    $10.36 / hour
    00:02:26 / completion time
    Pros:
    Cons:

Qualifications: 34ee50c9eacb4e076cedf82013242ddbbbff8013 >= 70; 80412233201bcb15666b2ac446860a99b1c3bf42 DoesNotExist ; 799ea5dfa364efa477b02b12fce61a3b19f7f6eb DoesNotExist ; e0af98bd0fde9f0a2bea3349fe4143bb5258e381 DoesNotExist ; Total approved HITs >= 500; HIT approval rate (%) >= 96; Location EqualTo US; ab5c70a2a750f5b115e550db4b754b92dfd32213 DoesNotExist ;
    To read Positly's full profile check out TurkerView!

5. awdrf

awdrf Well-Known Turker

Ratings:
    +5,459
    Alpha.One [AHQSADQYTJ3ZH] SHORT Survey, 5 multiple choice questions (<2 minutes) - $0.30 | PANDA

Generous

Unrated

Unrated
    $25.12 / hour
    00:00:43 / completion time
    Pros:
    Cons:

Qualifications: HIT approval rate (%) >= 98; Total approved HITs > 50; Cons Test Done DoesNotExist ;
    To read Alpha.One's full profile check out TurkerView!

6. AMindAtTurk

Ratings:
    +39,565
    Daniel Connolly [A33PTK1VFAF1VW] Answer a survey about feedback - $0.50 | PANDA

Generous

Unrated

Unrated
    $20.00 / hour
    00:01:30 / completion time
    Pros:
    Cons:

Qualifications: HIT approval rate (%) > 80; Location EqualTo US;
    To read Daniel Connolly's full profile check out TurkerView!

7. racketrye

racketrye Well-Known Turker

Ratings:
    +715
    Alpha.One [AHQSADQYTJ3ZH] SHORT Survey, 5 multiple choice questions (<2 minutes) - $0.30 | PANDA

Generous

Unrated

Unrated
    $13.67 / hour
    00:01:19 / completion time
    Pros:
    Cons:

Qualifications: HIT approval rate (%) >= 98; Total approved HITs > 50; Cons Test Done DoesNotExist ;
    To read Alpha.One's full profile check out TurkerView!

8. THFYM

THFYM Survey Slinger Former MTG MotM

Ratings:
    +23,050
    There's a non-zero amount of people, here alone, that hope to use AMT as a stepping stone to better paying work. Whether it's just filling in a gap on a resume, or generating income while temporarily out of work, the bottom line is that articles like this shred every bit of integrity of what we do for a "living".

Imagine trying to explain to a corporate recruiter that for months/years, you worked on a service and support platform where you managed personal micro-projects for a variety of requesters, earning a viable wage in return for self-motivated work for major universities, Amazon, Google, Microsoft, etc. all the while building skillsets in various technological tools and areas of interest, just to have them ask what the name of that platform was.

You say "Mechanical Turk".

They laugh, because they've read the articles. They've read "Ghost Work" by Siddharth Suri et. al. They know that you're not a motivated self-starter; they think you're a cog in the machine, earning $2/hr. They liken you to whats-her-name in India, who in Ghost Work was incapable of performing a HIT if her big brother wasn't in the room. Your microtasking work is suddenly no longer skilled, or integral, or even meaningful. You're a pleb that types lines on a receipt. Hell, you may have even bought your account from a black market in the third world; after all, Amazon has no controls in place, right?

They laugh, because they've read the coverage on the Bot Scare(TM). They think that there's no way your work can be skilled, because a rudimentary computer program can do the same thing and avoid detection in most cases. In the case that you are somehow able to prove you made decent money (1099 anyone?), you must be a scammer. After all, only the top 0.00242% of workers make over $7.25/hr, or whatever the latest bullshit "research" statistic is. Certainly you didn't get there on your own accord; you must be cheating.

Articles like this don't hurt Amazon; they hurt you. They hurt me. They drive requesters off the platform and towards platforms that have the outward appearance of caring (like Prolific) while giving significantly less of a shit than Amazon ever could.

So if you're really worried about an influx of $0.93/hr workers with no skills, you're absolutely looking at the wrong thing. And when you start looking at the right things, you'll be pissed the fuck off, just like I am.

EDIT: Here's a picture of my pupper, to farm more <3s

[​IMG]

• Love Love x 27
    • Like Like x 9
    • Today I Learned Today I Learned x 3
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2019
  9. slothbear

slothbear Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +22,069
    [​IMG]

• LOL LOL x 6
    • WOW WOW x 2
  10. THFYM

THFYM Survey Slinger Former MTG MotM

Ratings:
    +23,050
    inb4 @ChrisTurk can because I deserve this.

[​IMG]

• LOL LOL x 4
    • WOW WOW x 1
  11. tsusoup

tsusoup Active Turker

Ratings:
    +209
    Also true.

I'm US based and have never made big money on here but I've always thought of it like any other work, you start at the bottom and have to figure out how it all works and how you make it work for you, it's almost like an interview stage. As you get more skilled and learn more about the job you make a little more money and work your way up. You get out what you put in. If you just turn up and expect it to be a miracle money maker from day one you're naive or stupid, or both. I think that's what the article misses you have to earn the right to earn and be comfortable with that...if that makes sense.

• Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 2
  12. morweeg

morweeg Triple Double Certified Organic Batch Master

Ratings:
    +54,131
    This is exactly it. There's also the fact that mturk is not for everyone. A lot of people flounder under self-motivated payment schemes, but it's also perfectly fine that some people only make like $10~20/day while doing mturk in between actual big boy work or are only on it for a couple of hours when they get home after work so they can buy their nephews this awesome Star Wars land racer ride on.

• Like Like x 5
    • Love Love x 1
    • WOW WOW x 1
  13. Matt412101

Matt412101 Active Turker

Ratings:
    +377
    Not really, there will just be more requesters who offer shittier pay for more work. Requesters will say, fuck, I can pay 3 cents a minute and people like it. Sign me up

14. MWT

MWT Well-Known Turker

Ratings:
    +2,032
    Title: (Java Knowledge Required) Code Comprehension Qualification Test and Main Task with $4 bonus | PANDA
    Requester: Casey Casalnuovo [A35ANO32NQ9ZHR]
    TurkerView: [ $39.40 / hour ]
    Description: Java code comprehension qualification test followed by 32 short code comprehension questions. $1 for completing the test, an additional $4 for completing the main task.
    Duration: 120 Min
    Available: 1
    Reward: $1.00
    Qualifications:
    • Total approved HITs GreaterThanOrEqualTo 1000,
    • Location In CA, US,
    • HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 99,
    [3VNGVF6XGLQEOWNCFHKV8652UUQCGL]

15. lapetitebaker

lapetitebaker Survey Slinger TurkerView Masters

Ratings:
    +7,895
    GEMS Lab [A11T8FV5IJG5KU] PERCEPTION AND JUDGMENT (~ 5 minutes) - $0.50 | PANDA

Generous

Unrated

Unrated
    $26.47 / hour
    00:01:08 / completion time
    Pros:
    Cons:

Qualifications: Exc: [180997703-182298] DoesNotExist ; Location In US;
    To read GEMS Lab's full profile check out TurkerView!

16. AMindAtTurk

Ratings:
    +39,565
    Experiment Student [A2M2DA9OTCWT0E] Brief Survey about Familiarity with Legal Terms - $0.25 | PANDA

Generous

Unrated

Unrated
    $13.04 / hour
    00:01:09 / completion time
    Pros:
    Cons:

Qualifications: HIT approval rate (%) > 98; Total approved HITs > 5000; Location EqualTo US;
    To read Experiment Student's full profile check out TurkerView!

17. MWT

MWT Well-Known Turker

Ratings:
    +2,032
  18. tsusoup

tsusoup Active Turker

Ratings:
    +209
    There's a Star Wars land racer ride on?!

Damn...I got me some faces to rate.... 1 cent hits here I come...

• LOL LOL x 2
  19. morweeg

morweeg Triple Double Certified Organic Batch Master

Ratings:
    +54,131
    It isn't being made anymore as far as I can tell so it's super overpriced, but yes.

• Today I Learned Today I Learned x 1
  20. lizzybean

lizzybean Turker

Ratings:
    +87
    I just finished the article and was going to post this quote! WTF says shit like this? I find it appalling, albeit unsurprising. When you are unafraid to say something so disgusting and racially charged and have it quoted in the NYT I think it says a lot.

• Love Love x 3
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.