My experience as a two week old turker

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by RiberoD07, Dec 20, 2019.

1. RiberoD07

RiberoD07 New Turker

Ratings:
    +15
    Hello guys!

Here's a quick introduction:

My name is RiberoD07 and 7 is indeed my favourite number.

If you haven't noticed yet by the grammar I am not American but am Canadian. I joined mturk back in 2017, did a few hits, didn't realize it's potential and moved on. I have tried things such as ptc, gpt, captcha entry work longing for something that could give sustainable side income ranging in the $20 a day range. Three weeks ago I was re-introduced to mturk and on a whim decided to dive in head first. I currently work at a IT/Cybersecurity firm doing mainly development work.

I've always been curious about crowdsourced work sites but never found one that I could see the potential in to meet my goals. My first week was rough and I started off with 500 approval in the first few days but 13 rejections. I didn't know if it was for me or not but I persevered and read up on as much as I could. I tried to get set up with MTS but quickly found Hit Forker + Panda Crazy to be a more suitable workflow and am always adapting and trying new things. I set up TurkerView and greatly appreciate the ability to see ratings, rate some myself, as well as see quals through qualifeye (game changing). I learned about reversing rejections and got some reversed, importance of hits submitted milestones, and approval rate. I started setting up pandas, favouriting requesters, and just consuming as much information as I could.

It's been two weeks since I seriously tried to make this work and can now say I am making around $15 a day with minimal effort and have set up my own ahk scripts and optimized certain batches through simple macros on notepad++ to the point that I feel I'm on the right track to meet and exceed my $20 a day goal and then set a new goal for myself. I'm currently sitting at ~1550 approved with close to 500 pending and still only 13 rejections putting me up above the 99% rate once again.
    Any advice is greatly appreciated and just happy to be a member here and hope to be able to contribute.

• Like Like x 5
    • Love Love x 1
  2. Ornac

Ornac Survey Slinger TurkerView Masters

Ratings:
    +11,092
    Hello and welcome. :wave:

It sounds like you're doing things right. Continue to be extra careful about rejections until you get some buffer built up. It's worth keeping MTS installed for some quality of life things if you got rid of it completely.

Make sure to check the daily thread out if you haven't already. It's where everyone hangs out. A lot of the conversation isn't about work, but you can still learn a lot of things when it is. Feel free to join in the banter. It can be a lot of fun and it helps with the sanity between grinding out hits.

• Like Like x 1
  3. CorvusSapiens

CorvusSapiens Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +9,895
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  4. purplepotato

purplepotato Lavender Spudkin

Ratings:
    +32,745
    Hi, welcome to the forum! Sounds like you're off to great start! Hope to see you around the daily threads :)
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. AMindAtTurk

AMindAtTurk Survey Slinger TurkerView Masters

Ratings:
    +39,565
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jallenlog

Jallenlog New Turker

Ratings:
    +22
    Hi RiberoD07,

I enjoyed reading your introduction.

I did the same thing. Signed up in 2017 and did not see the potential. I also started again 2 weeks ago and have 6 rejections. After the first 5, I have tried to be really careful.

I have found the Daily mTurk HITs Threads both entertaining and educational.

Cheers!

• Like Like x 1
  7. L Lemon

L Lemon Survey Slinger TurkerView Masters

Ratings:
    +12,417
    I completely agree with everything @Ornac said.

My "story" is fairly similar as well. I did a few hits years ago and it just didn't take with me so I moved on. Then about 8 months ago, a light bulb went on and I remembered Mturk so I gave it another try. HUGE difference from when I tried it before. I've been doing it almost every day since. Some days are better than others, but for the most part, I'm able to reach (and typically 2x or 3x) my daily goal.

The TurkerView forum helped me to at least double what I was doing $ wise before I started hanging out in there. I find people post hits that I don't "see" on my available hits and I've gotten a lot higher paying and easier hits that way. Plus, it really makes the day a lot more fun just to read the crazy and hilarious stuff people are talking about in there.

Anyway, welcome!!!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  8. Masterbah

Masterbah Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +15,296
    Hello and welcome @RiberoD07.
    That's a pretty good start, good job!

Out of curiosity, are you a Canadian working in the US in Canada?

9. RiberoD07

RiberoD07 New Turker

Ratings:
    +15
    Canadian working in Canada. For mturk sake I know that doing work outside of the country of account origin is not allowed or likely to get banned. Real life wise I hope to find some work over the border in the next few years.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Masterbah

Masterbah Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +15,296
    :flail::flail:

Wouhou, we have another Canadian working with us!! (am also in Ca)

• Like Like x 1
    • WOW WOW x 1
  11. RiberoD07

RiberoD07 New Turker

Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks! Most definitely each rejection still affects me greatly and trying to maintain above 99% has proven to be rather difficult task. I did do about 500 MLD hits in the last week and that has helped my numbers tremendously even tho it takes a week to get approved. As for MTS I still have it installed is it for the hit tracker or what other benefits are there to having it installed? I've been lurking here for the last 2 weeks haha so I have definitely been checking out the daily thread but things go by quickly there and vast majority of hits posted unfortunately are US only but still lots to learn and a place to hangout so i'll be sure to post and continue to check it out!

12. RiberoD07

RiberoD07 New Turker

Ratings:
    +15
    Hey there!
    Glad to hear i'm not alone haha. Keep it up we're all going to make it!
    The first few rejections really stung but you just have to learn from them (if they were valid) and move on. Doing 100's of penny batch hits aren't the most fun thing but definitely the best way to mitigate rejections and personally I noticed a huge influx of new work when I hit 98% again and 99% and even more work when I finally hit the 1000 mark. Can't wait to see what's to come and well.. Best of luck to you too!

13. Ornac

Ornac Survey Slinger TurkerView Masters

Ratings:
    +11,092
    Hit tracker is definitely useful for general information and can come in handy if you need to look up completion codes. . It also provides the little checkmarks, question marks etc by the hits in your queue that you can hover over which is helpful for seeing if you've done hits before. I'm not sure how much is from MTS and how much is from some other scripts, but it makes some improvements to your Dashboard page as well.

• Like Like x 1
  14. RiberoD07

RiberoD07 New Turker

Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks!

It definitely has a lot of potential much more than majority of other "beer money" type sites.
    I have already experienced what you mean with regards to variance in earnings and available hits day in and day out. Some mornings I get nonstop batches and other days I can't find anything worthwhile at all. The flexibility it gives is the best aspect of it where I can hop on and decide to do hundreds of hits back to back or in some cases just leave it running in the background if i'm busy and pick up on only hits greater than X.

Super grateful for all the scripts the community has come up with and the ability for us to use scripts to raise our efficiency without risking our accounts. I agree with the help of the forums. I've been lurking here for the last week or so and have contributed a bit to the subreddit and mturkcrowd. Unfortunately the majority of hits are US only posted here but I've still managed to pick up some good ones through pandas! I'll be sure to check out the daily more often to see what people are talking about tho haha thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  15. RiberoD07

RiberoD07 New Turker

Ratings:
    +15
    oh fair enough, thanks! I never uninstalled it so i'll keep it installed and running just in case. I know what you mean about what script provides what benefit because I have a lot of scripts installed and some I'm sure overlap each other but they're all very helpful. Appreciate the help and I'll be sure to check things out and learn from all of you!

• Like Like x 1