05/12 - Mental Awareness Friday

Discussion in 'Daily mTurk HITs Threads' started by humbleturker, May 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WimpLo

WimpLo Survey Slingin' Batch Masta Former MTG MotM

Ratings:
    +73,307
    Here's mine:
    My eldest daughter was diagnosed with ADHD. It started becoming apparent in first grade, but it's not typically diagnosed until second and that's when the teacher called us in for a meeting. This started me on a weird grief process. At first it was denial. She had already been tested and found gifted, so I said it must be because she's so smart. The teacher said, "But many of my students in this class are gifted. None of them are acting like her." She told me she'd seen some children do well with alternative therapies.

I'd heard stories about ADHD medicines so it wasn't an option for me. I went looking online for ideas. So it began a many months long journey of different scientific experiments. I'd try one thing, ask the teacher after a couple days if she noticed an improvement. She'd tell me no, and I'd go onto the next one. We tried vitamin supplement, caffeine in the form of a soda, meditation, charts. Nothing was working. Then I decided to go onto Reddit's ADHD forum. I started reading and noticed a video by an expert in the field, Dr. Russell Barkley. He's been studying ADHD since the 1970s. Between reading the subreddit and the lecture, I came to an acceptance. I realized that giving her medicine didn't have to be a bad thing.

We finally put her on Concerta, which she's been on since 3rd grade. She gets all A's (except last quarter when we tried taking her off and her grades went down.) We still have to police her most days, because she only uses medicine for school days or days where she needs to focus on something.

• Love Love x 13
    • Like Like x 1
    • Today I Learned Today I Learned x 1
  2. WimpLo

Ratings:
    +73,307
    Title: Listen to a Genre Category: Pop / Dance song and answer a survey about it. | PANDA
    Worker: Preview | Accept | Requester
    Requester: AudioKite [A1ZEEGMU3YMZ6] (Contact)
    TO 1: [Pay: 3.33] [Fast: 4.84] [Comm: 3.32] [Fair: 4.93] [Reviews: 184] [ToS: 0]
    TO 2:
    [Rate: $6.80/hr] [Pen: 0.04 days] [Res: -- of 0] [Rec: 100% of 1] [Rej: 0] [ToS: 0] [Brk: 0]
    Description:
    A musician or label is seeking feedback on a Genre Category: Pop / Dance song from people in the United States who enjoy Genre Category: Pop / Dance music. Listen to the song for at least 2 Minutes and answer a survey about it. NOTE: The qualification test is to confirm you enjoy listening to the designated genre.
    Time: 1 hour
    HITs Available: 1
    Reward: $0.16
    Qualifications: Likes Pop / Dance GreaterThanOrEqualTo 1; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 95; Location EqualTo US;
    HIT exported from Mturk Suite v1.21.10
    no writing

• Nom Nom Nom! Nom Nom Nom! x 7
  3. WimpLo

Ratings:
    +73,307
    Title: Listen to a Genre Category: Indie / Alternative song and answer a survey about it. | PANDA
    Requester: AudioKite [A1ZEEGMU3YMZ6] (Contact)
    TO 1: [Pay: 3.33] [Fast: 4.84] [Comm: 3.32] [Fair: 4.93] [Reviews: 184] [ToS: 0]
    TO 2:
    [Rate: $6.80/hr] [Pen: 0.04 days] [Res: -- of 0] [Rec: 100% of 1] [Rej: 0] [ToS: 0] [Brk: 0]
    Description:
    A musician or label is seeking feedback on a Genre Category: Indie / Alternative song from people in the United States who enjoy Genre Category: Indie / Alternative music. Listen to the song for at least 2 Minutes and answer a survey about it. NOTE: The qualification test is to confirm you enjoy listening to the designated genre.
    Time: 1 hour
    HITs Available: 2
    Reward: $0.20
    Qualifications: Likes Indie / Rock / Alternative GreaterThanOrEqualTo 1; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 95; Location EqualTo US;
    no writing

• Nom Nom Nom! Nom Nom Nom! x 5
  4. Salamander

Salamander Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +31,720

You are awesome for going through all of that for your daughter. I'm almost positive that I have undiagnosed ADHD that I can remember having since I was probably in the 3rd grade. My grand mother raised me and I know she did the best she could, but when I think back on being a kid there are just so many red flags that she should have noticed and went and had me checked out over. Maybe she did notice them but, like most people, just attributed it to me being lazy and scatterbrained.

There's such a bad stigma regarding ADHD and I've heard it can be a nightmare trying to get diagnosed as an adult, so I haven't been tested for it yet. I notice my symptoms many times a day though and I feel like they get worse the older I get.

I'm glad medication is working for your daughter :ba:

• Love Love x 8
  5. Salamander

Ratings:
    +31,720
    Title: Fast and easy content viewing (few minutes for possible $0.60) - E9PZZzD7udyQTsJedisXF | PANDA
    Requester: Sticky [A1I5WZRIXY5GS9] (Contact)
    TO 1: [Pay: 4.44] [Fast: 4.76] [Comm: 4.12] [Fair: 4.72] [Reviews: 126] [ToS: 1]
    TO 2:
    [Rate: --/hr] [Pen: -- days] [Res: -- of 0] [Rec: 0% of 1] [Rej: 0] [ToS: 0] [Brk: 1]
    Description:
    Look at some content for a few minutes to help us improve our measurements.
    Time: 20 minutes
    Reward: $0.40
    Qualifications: Age is not greater than 70; Location is US; Age is not less than 18;

I think these are fixed now

• Nom Nom Nom! Nom Nom Nom! x 1
  6. Salamander

Ratings:
    +31,720
    Title: Survey about your day and personal opinions (approx 5 mins) | PANDA
    Requester: Q. Lab [AF8FKBE8S9BK4] (Contact)
    TO 1: [Pay: 3.00] [Fast: 4.80] [Comm: 0.00] [Fair: 5.00] [Reviews: 16] [ToS: 0]
    TO 2:
    [Rate: $9.27/hr] [Pen: -- days] [Res: -- of 0] [Rec: 100% of 1] [Rej: 0] [ToS: 0] [Brk: 0]
    Description:
    We would like to ask your opinion about various decisions. There may be very short list-writing tasks, so please do not participate with mobile devices.
    Time: 12 minutes
    Reward: $0.58
    Qualifications: Total approved HITs is greater than 100; HIT approval rate (%) is greater than 97; Location is US;

• Nom Nom Nom! Nom Nom Nom! x 10
  7. chasm

chasm Active Turker

Ratings:
    +752
    We need a Hugs button for times like today when Like and Love just won't do :)

• Love Love x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. SoonerChris

SoonerChris Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +6,959
    Was hoping to get to $200 for the week but with the looks of whats out there this morning it ain't gonna happen.

9. gurlondrums

gurlondrums Cracker of the Step Whip

Ratings:
    +76,023
    Could get crazy in the afternoon. :eyebrows:

• Like Like x 2
  10. WimpLo

Ratings:
    +73,307
    Yeah, we see it with her pediatrician who's "old school." She always comes across as if she's accusing my daughter of not trying hard enough. :emoji_rolling_eyes:

• Like Like x 1
  11. MNHammer

MNHammer Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +23,836
    Title: Estimating Eyewitness Confidence(~ 6 minutes) | PANDA
    Requester: Chad Dodson [A1G5WIZSEE6VFG] (Contact)
    TO 1: [Pay: 5.00] [Fast: 5.00] [Comm: 5.00] [Fair: 5.00] [Reviews: 11] [ToS: 0]
    TO 2:
    [Rate: $12.00/hr] [Pen: -- days] [Res: -- of 0] [Rec: 100% of 1] [Rej: 0] [ToS: 0] [Brk: 0]
    Description:
    Participate in a psychology experiment --usually takes less than 5 minutes to complete. Your task will be to estimate the intended numeric meaning of an eyewitness's verbal expression of confidence.
    Time: 15 minutes
    HITs Available: 3
    Reward: $0.50
    Qualifications: Total approved HITs is not less than 100; Exc: [1416935732-42901] has not been granted; HIT approval rate (%) is not less than 80; Location is one of: US;

• Nom Nom Nom! Nom Nom Nom! x 11
  12. SoonerChris

SoonerChris Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +6,959
    I hope. Only need around $30 to get to $200 for the week.

13. MNHammer

MNHammer Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +23,836
    Title: Listening to song clips and writing the lyrics | PANDA
    Requester: Edward Gibson [AV5ZXNTTPTOV7] (Contact)
    TO 1: [Pay: 3.59] [Fast: 3.87] [Comm: 1.00] [Fair: 4.73] [Reviews: 38] [ToS: 0]
    TO 2:
    [Rate: $15.76/hr] [Pen: -- days] [Res: 100% of 1] [Rec: 100% of 1] [Rej: 0] [ToS: 0] [Brk: 0]
    Description:
    Listen to song clips and write the lyrics. Please use headphones.
    Time: 60 minutes
    HITs Available: 6
    Reward: $3.00
    Qualifications: HIT approval rate (%) is not less than 95; Location is US;

• Nom Nom Nom! Nom Nom Nom! x 16
  14. angel

angel Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +28,535
    While don't have any mental health issues myself I have many family members who do or did. My father was bipolar, my mother in-law had major depression. My husband and daughter suffer from depression and anxiety and my boys are both on the autism spectrum, which while not a mental health issue just complicated things especially since the oldest boy also has bipolar disorder and anxiety. I completely get what a struggle daily life can be for people with mental illness and for their families. There where days as my oldest especially grew up that I just sat and cried thinking I had completely failed him. When He was young autism wasn't unheard of but not as well known as it is today and bipolar disorder in preteen children is not common so I often found advice from doctors useless or worse counter productive which left me to figure it out on my own. I spent a lot of years helping one or more of them through one crises or another but it has made us a stronger family in the long run. Since my car accident none of them have ever made me feel like a burden and I have no doubt they will always be there to help.

• Love Love x 5
  15. gurlondrums

Ratings:
    +76,023
    $30 should be definitely doable! I can easily do $25 usually. You can do it! :ay:

I slacked off yesterday so I need to do $75 today. :emoji_unamused:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Salamander

Ratings:
    +31,720
    Title: Personality Questionnaires(~ 15 minutes) | PANDA
    Requester: Hannah Waldfogel [A10P6Q7YVCT60E] (Contact)
    TO 1: [Pay: 3.28] [Fast: 5.00] [Comm: 5.00] [Fair: 5.00] [Reviews: 19] [ToS: 0]
    TO 2:
    Not Available
    Description: You will be asked to answer questions about yourself including demographics and personality questionnaires.
    Time: 60 minutes
    Reward: $0.75
    Qualifications: Total approved HITs is not less than 100; Exc: [1384810-42789] has not been granted; HIT approval rate (%) is not less than 92; Location is one of: US;

• Nom Nom Nom! Nom Nom Nom! x 9
  17. jdzane

jdzane Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +8,650
    the joke's on me:
    You have already completed the maximum number of HITs allowed by this requester. Please click 'Return HIT' to avoid any impact on your approval rating.

18. Outer1

Outer1 Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +7,992
    I've managed nearly $20 in about two hours. I think you can def hit $30 through the day. There is a decent amount of work out there, it's mostly surveys, but you gotta do what you gotta do lol.

• Like Like x 1
  19. gurlondrums

Ratings:
    +76,023
  20. NBadger

NBadger Mod of Cat Gifs

Ratings:
    +40,241
    Such a great idea for a thread, @humbleturker. Thanks :ba: Messy paragraph below, I apologize :p

Moderate-to-severe depression here, officially diagnosed my junior year of college but probably stretching back to at least early high school. Some of it was due to family/environment stuff, some of it was due to brain chemistry (apparently depression runs in the family, which like many of you, my family neglected to tell me. Partially because they believe it stems from a "melancholy personality").

Anyway. Long story short, pretty much hit rock bottom last summer when, ironically enough, a couple of well-timed hits basically saved my mental health. One of them was a month long study on CBT for clinical depression, which was fantastic because I hadn't been able to afford good counseling (also, finding a good counselor in small town USA that doesn't just tell you to buck up and/or just pray is stupid hard), and because my vague social anxiety didn't kick into gear when talking to a computer.

Secondly, during the middle of those hits, I stumbled across another requester that wanted the data for steps-counted for the last seven days on my iPhone. When I discovered I was averaging 500 steps a day it scared me so bad I started regularly going to the gym, which a)has done wonders for my mental health and physical health and b)you all know how addicted to the gym I am now :p

So yeah. Das me. I"m probably in the best shape mentally that I've been in years. I still have my particularly bad days, but. Yep. *doesn't know how to end this, so have cute cat?*

[​IMG]

One of my best friends finally got diagnosed as an adult last year (she had it as a child, but because she was female and didn't necessarily act in the same way we expect for ADHD, no one ever understood what was going on), and it's made her so much happier and it's been beautiful to see how the medication she's on helps her so much throughout the day (she takes vyvanse). If you're ever able to get diagnosed, I hope it will turn out as well for you as it did for her :ba:

• Love Love x 9
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.