03/15 - Woolly Wednesday

Discussion in 'Daily mTurk HITs Threads' started by ceedj, Mar 15, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdeem

mdeem Survey Slinger TurkerView Masters

Ratings:
    +7,357
    I'm still not understanding how the error issue could be related to DOS protection being triggered or something similar, cus when I get the error, I turn on my page refresher for every 5 secs till the site loads... if it was being triggered by catchers doing too many requests or whatever, then it wouldn't make any sense that I can refresh until it loads

2. turker4hire

turker4hire Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +3,382
    Wow, 3800!? I ran mine at 3000 earlier and I thought that was too slow. I haven't tried completely turning off my Finder yet. Usually, I just tweak my main timer, search and ham timers, but with little success the last few days. So I work on Prolific as much as possible now.

3. HITTydus

HITTydus Turker

Ratings:
    +2
    UPenn Researcher [A2M70XENI0CWIR] Behavior Survey (4 minutes; $0.40)(~ 4 minutes) - $0.40 | PANDA

Unrated

Unrated

Unrated
    $8.94 / hour
    00:02:41 / completion time
    Pros:
    Cons:

Catchability: Great (HIT Last Seen: a second ago)
    Qualifications: Total approved HITs >= 100; cbabc011 DoesNotExist ; rhsnlk98 >= 100; HIT approval rate (%) >= 95; Exc: [-317364109-408843] DoesNotExist ; Location In US;

To read UPenn Researcher's full profile check out TurkerView!

4. HITTydus

HITTydus Turker

Ratings:
    +2
    Chia-Wei Lin, National Taiwan University [A1APLO386FOFPP] **Require Both Smartphone and Laptop/Desktop** Online Shopping Survey(~ 4 minutes) - $0.55 | PANDA

Unrated

Unrated

Unrated
    $11.93 / hour
    00:02:46 / completion time
    Pros:
    Cons:

Qualifications: Exc: [-877045014-408850] DoesNotExist ; Total approved HITs <= 100000; cc55e628 DoesNotExist ; SurveyGroup [7280] DoesNotExist ; rhsnlk98 >= 100; HIT approval rate (%) >= 95; Location In US;

To read Chia-Wei Lin, National Taiwan University's full profile check out TurkerView!

5. HITTydus

HITTydus Turker

Ratings:
    +2
    Jan Landwehr [A151B2PYXEA86N] Study on Social Interactions(~ 6 minutes) - $0.73 | PANDA

Unrated

Unrated

Unrated
    $9.81 / hour
    00:04:28 / completion time
    Pros:
    Cons:

Qualifications: Total approved HITs >= 100; rhsnlk98 >= 100; Exc: [408648-408059] DoesNotExist ; HIT approval rate (%) >= 85; Location In US;

To read Jan Landwehr's full profile check out TurkerView!

6. SamAnt

SamAnt Survey Slinger TurkerView Masters

Ratings:
    +12,925
    This seems to be happening regardless of what program you use or even if you have it on (just about everyone with different set-ups have been complaining about it). I think that whatever protocol they have in place has flagged certain ISPs for more checking which is why my hotspot works but the house Wi-Fi does not.

DDOS attacks are usually fast and time limited. So, my theory is that there's some protocol AWS put in place that puts you in time-out mode and doesn't let you connect until you're out of "jail". So, you can refresh but can't connect.

• Like Like x 3
  7. mdeem

Ratings:
    +7,357
    I wonder what the chances are they are attempting to address people who are blind catching all the hits, like some of those catchers that have popped up that just pull everything in as fast as possible. Or even just regular catchers

8. SamAnt

Ratings:
    +12,925
    I highly doubt that it's targeted at MTurk specifically (it's just not that important to Amazon). It's more likely to be AWS in general and probably something the new head of AWS put in place which unfortunately means it probably won't be fixed anytime soon.

• Like Like x 1
    • Today I Learned Today I Learned x 1
  9. Sagebrushdan

Sagebrushdan Active Turker

Ratings:
    +309
    I am on a hot spot. I have never had the issue.

• Today I Learned Today I Learned x 2
  10. mdeem

Ratings:
    +7,357
    I was just thinking maybe enough reqs have complained about overall low quality of workers and they are trying to do something to address the complaints... but you're right, its unlikely that Amazon even cares

• Like Like x 2
  11. turker4hire

turker4hire Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +3,382
    Not that this helps diagnose the issue, but I know that I can cause the error to happen anytime I want. If I go into the main MTurk queue, and perform a few/several right-click + Ctrl accepts of a hit, it will cause the website to give me the error. I did it for science, and shits and giggles! Yeah, that's it! :emoji_joy:

12. LaneyB

LaneyB Active Turker

Ratings:
    +488
    I find that I don't seem to get any PREs with just Forker and PCM. But...I also notice that many HITs never show up there or sometimes just appear after they are gone. For some strange reason, PickFu and Product Pinion never show up at all on Forker...which is why I have to turn on Finder if I want any of those (btw, PickFu has made their time limits longer after I had mentioned in an email to them about the server issue making it harder to try to do their HITs - they actually wanted to know if there were problems occurring).

• Like Like x 1
  13. mdeem

Ratings:
    +7,357
    I may have to try my phone's hotspot and see if there is any difference.

14. SamAnt

Ratings:
    +12,925
    Just a warning, it uses a lot of data :emoji_sweat_smile:

• LOL LOL x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Sigil 1

Sigil 1 Active Turker

Ratings:
    +142
    For people who have done theturker HITs, you may want to check to see if you've been rejected. Two people thus far have come forward saying that their HITs are being mass rejected with the insulting reason of "Con Artist" even if they've sourced all the information they wanted in the first place.

• WOW WOW x 2
    • LOL LOL x 1
    • Yikes Yikes x 1
  16. lapetitebaker

lapetitebaker Survey Slinger TurkerView Masters

Ratings:
    +7,895
    Dan Calacci (MIT) [A2CFLAVF2YNI3P] 1 minute pre-screen for study about you and e-commerce for a longer main study (4-7min)(~ 1 minutes) - $0.40 | PANDA

Generous

Unrated

Unrated
    $32.73 / hour
    00:00:44 / completion time
    Pros:
    • Paid screener
    Cons:

Qualifications: rhsnlk98 >= 100; Exc: [13103343-408936] DoesNotExist ; Location In US;

To read Dan Calacci (MIT)'s full profile check out TurkerView!

17. mdeem

Ratings:
    +7,357
    Dan Calacci (MIT) [A2CFLAVF2YNI3P] Study about you and e-commerce (4-7min)(~ 5 minutes) - $1.50 | PANDA

Fair

Unrated

Unrated
    $18.31 / hour
    00:04:55 / completion time
    Pros:
    Cons:

Qualifications: Inc: [19-408924] Exists ; Exc: [409513-408924] DoesNotExist ; Location In US;

To read Dan Calacci (MIT)'s full profile check out TurkerView!

18. mdeem

Ratings:
    +7,357
    Wow, that's definitely the worst rejection feedback I've seen

• Like Like x 3
  19. akseebr

akseebr Active Turker

Ratings:
    +104
    I was running MTS catcher and Finder. Finder had no PREs. Catcher runs 'em up. I was getting nervous and stopped it. I had it going much faster though so that might be why. I never did figure out a good speed.

20. Sigil 1

Sigil 1 Active Turker

Ratings:
    +142
    Why give rejection feedback when you can just take free work and call the people working for you stupid instead? Works every time.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.