Requesters that take a long time to pay and the forums

Discussion in 'Help & Guides' started by Msstma, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Msstma

Msstma Turker

Ratings:
    +2
    First, it seems like the Turkerview forums want people to talk about only the forums themselves and not the actual work we do on mTurk. There's no heading that says it's for that type of discussion.

Second, I did a few hits over the space of 2 days on July 2 and 3rd just to see if the requester really pays and how quick. Well not quick! She still hasn't paid. That even though Amazon themselves has a little note in the heading that says the requestor usually pays in 3-4 days. Obviously not true.

Since I didn't do a review of the hit at the time, there seems to be no way to go back to the pending pay area and leave a review saying long time no pay. Is there a way to do that and if not why not?

I know I can contact her directly, but will give her 30 days before I do. Meanwhile I wouldn't do these hits if I was you: Christina Hawatmeh hits about titling and categorizing pictures. Even on my hit page it says she takes 4 days to pay

2. BlueMountainBacon

BlueMountainBacon Well-Known Turker

Ratings:
    +1,889
    The listed approval time is their average over the last two years. We can only hope they're consistent, but this might not be the case. Thankfully, they have to approve the work within 30 days, otherwise Amazon will automatically approve it. If that's the only reason you don't recommend working for the requester though, I'll say that some of my favorites are slow approvers, so if the hourly is good with little downsides, I'd stick with them. Otherwise, I totally agree dumping them.

For reviews, I can't answer to why we can't add them days later, but I'm sure @ChrisTurk has a good reason for it.

3. maxfro

maxfro Active Turker

Ratings:
    +294
    I've never heard it from the horse's mouth, but I've always assumed that not being able to review HITs in the past helps maintain balanced reviews that more accurately reflect overall experiences with a requester; people would likely only go back to review problems/rejections, thereby skewing the data in one direction. Just a guess.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ChrisTurk

ChrisTurk Administrator

Ratings:
    +162,927
    Nowadays it's 50/50 between a waste of storage (Chrome only lets the script use so much) and the fact that honestly after a few days what really is there to say about a HIT? Most people wont remember pertinent details they would have the first day or two, and if something memorable enough happens (like this) then editing the review is preferable anyway.

Also I've ended up doing a lot of those HITs lmao, they've always paid out fine for me so I wouldn't worry about it.
    Yea, I do believe this helps immensely avoid the "TO effect" of only loading the site to completely lambaste requesters, but I've stretched it out as far as possible (I think it can be done a few days back now, maybe 3?) for folks who are forgetful but any further and it's likely to cause issues w/ other scripts in Chrome/FF.

• Like Like x 1