[Guide] Frequent Tampermonkey Crashes

Discussion in 'Help & Guides' started by Mothra, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Mothra

Mothra Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +11,952
    The recent update to Tampermonkey 4.7.44 has seemingly caused some serious issues with different user scripts. Specifically, I encountered an error that caused Tampermonkey to crash randomly and frequently, at least once an hour, but sometimes more often. The best work around seems to just be rolling back Tampermonkey, and if you don't have any scripts that have dependencies on the newer versions, it's an easy process.

First, you'll need an earlier build of Tampermonkey.

This site has the previous versions of the extension. To solve my issue I used version 4.6, and haven't experienced any problems, so that would be my recommendation.

Next, back up your user scripts. This can be accomplished by using the export feature of Tampermonkey, or you can just copy and paste each script to a separate text file and then paste the scripts back after you've installed the older version.

Also, if you use Panda Crazy, back up or record any requesters you want to save. You can use the built in export in Panda Crazy to generate a file, or just note down whichever HITs you want to save.

Next, navigate to your extensions

chrome://extensions

Locate the current build of Tampermonkey (4.7.44 at the time of this post)

Uninstall your current version of Tampermonkey with the remove button.

[​IMG]

Next, you'll need to enable developer mode to permit side loading extensions.
    Click the toggle to enable developer mode.

[​IMG]

Next, you need to restart Chrome, closing and relaunching is fine. Now navigate back to extensions, and you can just drag and drop your extension_4_6_0_0.crx from wherever you saved it into the Chrome window, and it should install with no problems. Reinstall your scripts as needed, and hopefully everything should be working well again.

If any problems persist, try restarting Chrome again after installing your Tampermonkey scripts.

Hopefully that solves the issue, I've been 24 hours without a problem, so it's looking like it was just a compatibility issue, probably with Panda Crazy, and 4.7.44.

• Today I Learned Today I Learned x 12
    • Love Love x 3
  2. HardWorkingTurker

HardWorkingTurker Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +4,932
    Fixed my problem!
    [​IMG]

3. HardWorkingTurker

HardWorkingTurker Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +4,932
    Looks like the new Tampermonkey update solved the problem. No crashes experienced since Version 4.7.54