04/18 - Theory Thursday!

Discussion in 'Daily mTurk HITs Threads' started by Melting Glacier, Apr 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dan

dan daelian

Ratings:
    +61,817
    That does not look like a man who would have a canister of lysol wipes on hand.

• LOL LOL x 4
  2. ThisPoorGuy

ThisPoorGuy ThisPoorMod

Ratings:
    +81,571
    Man's gotta shower somehow.

• LOL LOL x 3
  3. TheNerdyAnarchist

TheNerdyAnarchist Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +4,680
    @ThisPoorGuy question about HF - What's the difference between "$null" & "-" on the TV ratings?

4. ThisPoorGuy

ThisPoorGuy ThisPoorMod

Ratings:
    +81,571
    $null means something forked up.
    - means there's no data.

• Today I Learned Today I Learned x 1
  5. Dogan

Dogan Turker

Ratings:
    +29
    I'm not sure the CPU is even upgradeable, period. I believe it's one of those built into the mobo deals whereas ram stick is just standard socket without solder or any of that BS, at least on the Inspiron 3168.

As for desktop, I don't think the ROI would be quite as steep as you all are figuring, which is assuming I'd be using it at home. For maybe 8 hours a week, yeah. But for the rest of it, I'm mobile. My job basically leads to me having a few hours throughout the day when I must be on site but have completed all my tasks for the moment, so I can turk for an hour or two then but mobility ranks above PERFORMANCE UBER ALLEN for my use case, because at the end of that I may have to toss everything back in my duffel and roll on a moments notice and I don't feel comfortable lugging a tower and display around LAN party style or building a custom PC golem in a briefcase.

As for hardcore laptop ("desktop replacement" category), I mean that could be the best of both worlds and is what I used to turk on 3-5 years back, but having an 11" 3lb laptop after lugging a 17" 8 pounder with monolithic power brick for years is just SO nice. Like it's not even a debate taking a laptop anymore at 3lbs, it's more of a "yeah I'll toss it in anyway."

This is also, for my particular use case, a shift in my habits. morweeg is salty about my vidya games, but the reality is even relatively inefficient turking is preferable to just pissing away my time watching YouTube or scrolling Reddit during the aforementioned dead time on site. Hell even talking to you people is more useful than wallowing in the rabbit hole because here I get useful intel.

Ditto. More like 80% since I quit Job #2 and am trying to replace that hole in my budget with turk.

6. Mothra

Mothra Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +11,952
    Alessandro Toso [A3U4Y4S3JOD3Y8] Questionnaire + Time perception experiment (Cognitive Neuroscience) [HEADPHONES NEEDED!] - $3.00 | PANDA

Unrated

Unrated

Unrated
    $14.81 / hour
    00:12:09 / completion time
    Pros:
    Fair compensation
    Cons:
    Short timer
    Repetitive

Qualifications: Masters Exists ; Location EqualTo US;
    To read Alessandro Toso's full profile check out TurkerView!

7. AMindAtTurk

AMindAtTurk Survey Slinger TurkerView Masters

Ratings:
    +39,565
    Stanford GSB Behavioral Lab [A3OSXTUM1QEXNY] Attitudes Survey(~ 6 minutes) - $0.75 | PANDA

Good

Unrated

Unrated
    $11.95 / hour
    00:03:46 / completion time
    Pros:
    Cons:

Qualifications: Total approved HITs >= 100; Exc: [140105838-141582] DoesNotExist ; HIT approval rate (%) >= 95; Location In US;
    To read Stanford GSB Behavioral Lab's full profile check out TurkerView!

8. Calyrica

Calyrica Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +7,422
    When did Listy start posting on Prolific?

9. mrnotoriousman

mrnotoriousman Survey Slinger TurkerView Masters

Ratings:
    +20,112
    You've got until Sunday. Almost missed it myself last week being sick until I got a LAST CHANCE email haha.

10. THFYM

THFYM Survey Slinger Former MTG MotM

Ratings:
    +23,050
    • LOL LOL x 1
  11. morweeg

morweeg Triple Double Certified Organic Batch Master

Ratings:
    +54,131
    When she finally realized after all these years that mturk data is actually trash?

• LOL LOL x 2
  12. SunlitSunflower

SunlitSunflower baby head

Ratings:
    +36,431
  13. Random Turker

Random Turker Survey Slinger TurkerView Masters

Ratings:
    +25,033
    Affective Science & Health Laboratory [A37YTRXG1FWGX7] Study on your thoughts, emotions, and feelings - $1.00 | PANDA

Fair

Unrated

Unrated
    $10.20 / hour
    00:05:53 / completion time
    Pros:
    Cons:

Qualifications: HIT approval rate (%) > 90; Location EqualTo US;
    To read Affective Science & Health Laboratory's full profile check out TurkerView!

14. xRhode-

xRhode- Well-Known Turker

Ratings:
    +2,859
    Catalin-Mihai Barbu [AFO2ISK0DYZ9F] Answer a survey related to automated online recommendations - $1.00 | PANDA

Unrated

Unrated

Unrated
    $12.37 / hour
    00:04:51 / completion time
    Rejected!
    Requester Feedback: Average duration of survey is estimated to be 20 minutes.
    Pros:
    Cons:
    Rejected for going to fast. They want you to spend twenty minutes on one dollar hit LOL.

Qualifications:
    To read Catalin-Mihai Barbu's full profile check out TurkerView!

15. Random Jobber

Random Jobber No One Cared Who I Was Until I Put On The Bucket TurkerView Masters

Ratings:
    +9,593
    Uh oh

• LOL LOL x 2
  16. BurntToast

BurntToast Well-Known Turker

Ratings:
    +1,587
    That's good to know. It's been crazy trying to get everything in order and today is the first real day this week of serious turking.

17. thewetnoodle007

thewetnoodle007 Well-Known Turker

Ratings:
    +1,245
    You think that's a cop-out so they don't have to pay people or are they genuinely that dumb?

18. StuffAlleySays

StuffAlleySays Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +4,096
    For anyone that cares or kind of follows, had Steve at the vascular surgeon this morning and his aneurysm is the size that we have to do surgery soon. So we are seeing a neurologist, having a cat scan, seeing a cardiologist and having a cardio clearance test performed, and a kidney functioning test. He did not qualify for the catheter version because his leg is 100% blocked so he is having an open AAA repair and will be on a vent for 5 days. We are looking at begining of June. I'm not a religious person, but I am spiritual. 20% of patients don't make off the table or through the first week, so if you could just put some good vibes out in the universe I'd appreciate it. The only concern I have is if I should send Ella off to horse camp and not mention the bad stuff or schedule for when she will be home. She is too young to go to ICU anyhow, I'm thinking just saying daddy is having another surgery should be enough and let her go have fun.

• Love Love x 20
  19. oldtimeturker

oldtimeturker Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +4,095
    • LOL LOL x 2
    • Today I Learned Today I Learned x 1
  20. AMindAtTurk

AMindAtTurk Survey Slinger TurkerView Masters

Ratings:
    +39,565
    Chris Cannon [A4FDFEYWMWO9U] A survey about interpersonal scenarios(~ 6 minutes) - $0.50 | PANDA

Fair

Unrated

Unrated
    $8.00 / hour
    00:03:45 / completion time
    Pros:
    Cons:

Qualifications: Total approved HITs >= 100; HIT approval rate (%) >= 95; Location In US; Exc: [-623904078-141588] DoesNotExist ;
    To read Chris Cannon's full profile check out TurkerView!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.