[Guide] Mturk Guide: Getting Started on Mechanical Turk

Discussion in 'Help & Guides' started by TSolo315, Jun 28, 2019.

Tags:
  1. TSolo315

TSolo315 New Turker

Ratings:
    +46
    https://www.mturkguide.com

Mturk Guide is a website I created with the purpose of providing an in depth guide to help new Mechanical Turk workers break through the steep learning curve and start making money on Mturk. On this website you will find:
    • A getting started page explaining several important aspects of Mechanical Turk and offering advice on how to best start establishing an efficient workflow.
    • A script guide detailing how scripts are used to make life easier (and more profitable) for turkers and how to start installing these scripts. You will also find a list of the most useful/widely used scripts currently available.
    • A "leveling up" page offering more advanced tips to help further improve your turking aptitude.
    • Several tutorials for writing your own AutoHotkey scripts to help make HITs easier, faster, and more efficient.
    • An Approval Rating Calculator that helps you calculate how many approved HITs you will need to reach a given approval rating.
    I will be slowly adding more content, mainly in the form of new tutorials. Any feedback is welcome.

• Like Like x 8
    • Today I Learned Today I Learned x 8
    • Love Love x 4
  2. Havoc928

Havoc928 Active Turker

Ratings:
    +818
    Good resource for people just getting into it. Good job man

• Love Love x 2
  3. TSolo315

TSolo315 New Turker

Ratings:
    +46
    Added a few more AHK tutorials (expressions and if statements.)

• Today I Learned Today I Learned x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. BluAngel

BluAngel Well-Known Turker

Ratings:
    +1,046
    Great job! Very clear and concise. I'm just coming back after being off for months and this was very helpful to me.

• Love Love x 2
  5. punngina

punngina New Turker

Ratings:
    +3
    How do I qua for more higher paying hits?

• Like Like x 1
  6. BlueMountainBacon

BlueMountainBacon Well-Known Turker

Ratings:
    +1,889
    There is the Qualifeye page here on TV that lists most of the available tests and qualification HITs. It may miss some depending on their title, so you can manually search on mturk for keywords like qual (this will pick up on longer variations of this word, so there's no need to search for them individually) and test. As you get more experience you'll pick up on other terms that requesters use and you can search for those as well.

Qualification depends on other factors as well like approval %, number of approved HITs, demographics, etc... among others.Try doing a search for all HITs and include ones that you're not eligible for. You will then be able to see what these HITs require to see what requirements you're not meeting. Some may be easily obtained through a test or qual hit; some may no longer offer the qual opportunity (closed qual) and some you will not be eligible for due to your location, age, sex, etc.

If you are unsure whether a qualification is obtainable and have taken a look for the obvious ways to determine ye or nay, you can always ask in the forum or even message the requester.

Hope this helps. Happy Turking!

• Like Like x 2
    • Today I Learned Today I Learned x 1
  7. BlueMountainBacon

Ratings:
    +1,889
    You're welcome btw.:emoji_rolling_eyes:

8. punngina

punngina New Turker

Ratings:
    +3
    Thank you

• Love Love x 1
  9. BlueMountainBacon

Ratings:
    +1,889
    Hopefully you can take advantage of the information and benefit from it.

• WOW WOW x 1
  10. punngina

punngina New Turker

Ratings:
    +3
    Thank you , again

• Love Love x 1
  11. TSolo315

TSolo315 New Turker

Ratings:
    +46
    Published a new AHK tutorial (loops.)

Most of the basics should be covered now -- but I might write a few more with some fun extra things you can do with AHK.

• Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 1