CHB (Requestor) Categorizing Pictures v12: My negative review.

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Support' started by MDamion, Jun 24, 2019.

1. MDamion

MDamion Turker

Ratings:
    +21
    Exactly what recourse do we have after contacting Requestors about HITs you have diligently performed for a nice chunk of change. They claim I may have mixed things up because our records show you have not done any of our HITs. After spending 42 minutes on this particular HIT and not compensated for it, things tend to add up. Link to the work performed is provided below.
    I record my work and if an issue arises, I hold on to that video. When paid it's automatically deleted. Since I started, about 4 out of 10 have been unsuccessful attempts at recouping the losses. I hope to minimize future losses and don't see a viable option on this site. Some HITs you are unable to submit and are left with no means to leave a Negative Review after the fact (after contacting Requestor). I'm focusing only on the 4 out of the 10. The fewer the numbers the better. Enuff of my ranting, video link below.

*** Actual link located below. In the meantime, enjoy!

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  2. ChrisTurk

ChrisTurk Administrator

Ratings:
    +162,927
    I would not contact a requester and show them that video. You failed the practice round (for what looks to be repeated failures to actually respond to the visual prompt?), then AFK'd to get on YouTube, and then failed it again and AFK'd again.

I'm honestly not trying to be rude here, but if that HIT expired before you could submit it (I think that's what you're saying about compensation?) that's on you.

• LOL LOL x 2
  3. MDamion

MDamion Turker

Ratings:
    +21
    I don't know what video you were watching, but once I passed, I continued on with the HIT. If it was a poorly designed HIT, that is neither here nor... I honestly believe I gave a good effort in completing the HIT. All the way to the 42 minute ending. When I am not compensated for the work (as shown), I feel it now becomes my property (video) to do with however I please, unless otherwise stated by the powers that be (mTurk). If I am wrong, I will make amends. Until otherwise, meh.
    Aahhhh crap. I just viewed the video and it only shows the first 15 minutes (thanks a lot Dropbox). Let's see the "Google" difference.

*** Actual link located further down. In the meantime, enjoy!

MEH!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  4. ChrisTurk

ChrisTurk Administrator

Ratings:
    +162,927
    You submitted the code to the wrong screen and then just turned off the video.

upload_2019-6-25_14-23-50.png

5. MDamion

MDamion Turker

Ratings:
    +21
    The date and times are how my videos are named and being that it was the first HIT of the day, it is (01). At 41:49 I hit Submit. Requestor states they have no record of my doing the HIT. In most of my templated correspondence I state I would leave the video up for their convenience. They can grab whatever data they need from the video and after 30 days, I would revisit the non-payment issue for a resolution. You have to admit, the ending of the HIT is somewhat suspicious and doesn't follow the norms. Scratch that, meh. Bottom line, HIT complete, not paid. Negative review.
    *** The part asking to submit the Post-Questionaire Code was what threw me off. I am more than positive that I did paste the code in the correct box. Unfortunately, I cut the recording out before I could show that I had done this. At 40:41 I can see where I needed to post the code.
    Now that I think about it more, it did show up in my Activities list. And then it was removed. mTurk should have record of this. (Video remains for educational/entertainment purposes.)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  6. MDamion

MDamion Turker

Ratings:
    +21
    MEH! Here's the video minus the YT snafu. (Full video available upon request gorilla@bpbinc.com).

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  7. MDamion

MDamion Turker

Ratings:
    +21
    I've contacted mTurk in regards to my negative review, and directed them to this forum post. mTurk's response in an email as follows:

From the information you've provided us, you mentioned that the HIT was successfully submitted. Should a HIT be successfully submitted, and you've received payment for the HIT, we are able to view this on our end (as a "submitted and Paid HITs log"). However, looking your account, the last submitted and paid HIT is from requester "Meh"iam O"Meh"vik, but you also do have 2 HITs still pending review (but I, unfortunately, can't see from which Requesters).

For more information about the status of the HIT or if you want to report the HIT, you can contact the Requester directly.

I've generated Contact Requester form link for this specific Requester for your convenience. Please copy and paste the entire link, listed below, into your browser address bar.

<< They provided me with a link >>

I responded with:
    I don't know but it sure seems like a "cop out".
    I strongly feel mTurk needs to re-evaluate the HITs processes. I've noticed a few HITs that seemed to be more geared towards having fun (Sh*ts & Giggles) at the expense of those trying to make a little bit of money. I'm disheartened to hear that we (mTurkers) don't have a better line of defense when spotting the scammers and time wasters who post HITs to fit their agendas.
    If that is the best you can do, leads me to believe that technology is only as great as those who know how to use it. I have contacted the Requestor and they, like you, have no record of my performing the HIT. I do thank you for your effort, and for Sh*ts and Giggles, I will follow the link you provided, and see what's on the other side of that "rabbit hole". Thanks again.

<< Nothing on the other side of rabbit hole just a re-subbmission to Requestor >>

Lessons learned:
    1. mTurk really doesn't have your back unless you are PAID so accepting and taking HITs is a gamble. They did however assure me that they are working to improve the system (something that should have been done from the get go).
    2. When recording, be sure you have your Activities List open in a Tab while working the HIT so when you are done with the HIT, you can close out your video by displaying that your HIT does show up in the Activities List, and you have recorded proof.
    3. Include some type of Clock extension to display the time you performed the HIT.
    4. Don't eat lunch while performing HITs. Although you are at home, and it is one of the benefits of working from home, and at your own pace, those watching may draw, "not-so-obvious" conclusions.
    5. If really concerned about others drawing "not-so-obvious" conclusions, if you work with 3 monitors, reduce to just 1 monitor for the benefit of the multi-tasked challenged.
    6. I leave the rest of this forum post for anything I may have missed.
    7. meh.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  8. Randomacts

Randomacts Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +124,073
    You put more effort into this than it is worth lmao.

Contact the IRB or whatever but mturk isn't going to do shit to help you.

9. MDamion

MDamion Turker

Ratings:
    +21
    meh. (loosely translated Gorilla speak, "Who knew, until now.")