I returned HITs but got the Hit Submitted notification!

Discussion in 'Script Discussions' started by Tris23, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Tris23

Tris23 Active Turker

Ratings:
    +131
    Hi,

I’ve been turking for two weeks. I did hundreds of hits for Dave Cobb, trying to up my numbers. Three times I hit the Return button and the page refreshed to the “Hit Submitted” message. By the third time I was hyper aware of what I was doing when I reached for that Return button so there’s no doubt about what button I pushed or anything like that. I know with stuff like this it’s usually user error, but it’s just not possible.

You don’t got to tell me it was probably foolish to keep doing those hits. It’s like the guy who goes to the doctor and says “Doc, it hurts when I keep doing this” and the doctor says “Then quit doing that”. I contacted the requester and had a few rounds with MTurk support which ended with the assurance that the platform is “operating normally”.

Later on I was doing an MLDataLabeler HIT and they too betrayed me. I pushed a further instructions type of button and, again, was sent to a HIT Submitted page. I’m left with the impression that every once in a while you press a button that’s not the Submit button and it maybe submits it anyways? Sorry to go on so much about it but it’s disconcerting to say the least. I can’t find anyone here or anywhere with a similar experience, if anybody has any ideas about this please let me know.

2. slothbear

slothbear Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +22,069
    Do you have any scripts running? It sounds like that could be the culprit.

3. Tris23

Tris23 Active Turker

Ratings:
    +131
    At the time I was only running MTurk Suite. I had installed other scripts but Tampermonkey was disabled.

4. Katlady

Katlady Well-Known Turker

Ratings:
    +2,203
    I don't know if this helps, or is what you are asking for, but a lot of HITs in different formats will automatically submit if you hit the return key.

5. PLATINUMUNEEK

PLATINUMUNEEK New Turker

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello !!! I'm also a new turker I was wondering is it hurtful to return hits

6. Ornac

Ornac Survey Slinger TurkerView Masters

Ratings:
    +11,092

The short answer is no, don't worry about returning hits.

The long answer is:

Generally no. Every once in a while you'll see a requester use return rate as a qualification, but it's very rare. I've only seen it a couple of times in the last year and a half or so. I was sitting at around a 35% return rate last time I checked with no problems. Most of the more experienced people on here have pretty high return rates as well. It's not worth worrying about for that 1 hit a year that might require a low rate.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  7. PLATINUMUNEEK

PLATINUMUNEEK New Turker

Ratings:
    +0

8. PLATINUMUNEEK

PLATINUMUNEEK New Turker

Ratings:
    +0
    OK thank you how can I leave reviews

9. Ornac

Ornac Survey Slinger TurkerView Masters

Ratings:
    +11,092
  10. Tris23

Tris23 Active Turker

Ratings:
    +131
    Hi, thanks for replying. Sorry, I should have been clearer; I don't mean that I pressed the return key on my keyboard, I mean that I clicked on the Return icon in the MTurk site. After clicking that then OK it showed the "HIT Submitted message".

11. gwaqrrick

gwaqrrick New Turker

Ratings:
    +1
    I wish more requesters would let us check to see if we qualify BEFORE we accept their hit. I know it can be done and I say a thank you in my head when it happens. If I have a HIT in queue no one else can work on that HIT, and they may be qualified. I see a lot of Turkview reports with a lot of Unpaid Screener Reports that wasted peoples' time.

12. gwaqrrick

gwaqrrick New Turker

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for clarifying this. I was wondering how that return rate effective us when qualifying for HITS.

• Like Like x 1