Stony Brook NLP- help!

Discussion in 'Help & Guides' started by Tamara, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Tamara

Tamara New Turker

Ratings:
    +13
    Help! What would you do?? 5 rejections so far and probably 15+ more to go. Reason- "We included the questions that we know the answers for quality control, and your answers don't match with ours." This thing was not at all easy and answering was difficult (ie...is this word a valid event? is it required for this other word that is or is not a valid "event"... and... with a ton of reading for only .35 cents.
    Anyone else have trouble with this or am I just dumb and now screwed??
    [​IMG]

2. WillowWolf

WillowWolf Mischief Managed

Ratings:
    +39,578
    If they have quality control questions in their HITs, they likely rejected the ones you got wrong automatically. Meaning, there's a good chance the others you have pending will approve since they weren't automatically rejected. Have you tried contacting them?

3. Tamara

Tamara New Turker

Ratings:
    +13
    I did. I sure hope they get back to me. I am pretty sure they will reject them all. All of the questions are the same, I think I have probably got them all wrong as I did them all in the same way. How I thought they wanted them. There were no attention checks or anything... it was like doing an English test with the highlighted words in each sentence.

4. WillowWolf

WillowWolf Mischief Managed

Ratings:
    +39,578
    I've never contacted them, so I'm not sure how responsive they are. Hopefully they get back to you. Maybe someone who has done work for them will see this and be able to give you more input. I'm not experienced with this requester, so I don't know how likely they are to reverse your rejections.

5. Tamara

Tamara New Turker

Ratings:
    +13
    Their TO said no rejections have been given before so maybe I will get lucky. I'm so bummed over this. I was doing pretty good until this. I searched for posts on them but nothing about this HIT or anyone being rejected. :/

• Love Love x 1
  6. Gerbilreaper

Gerbilreaper Active Turker

Ratings:
    +1,291
    Most of the folks around here use the Turk Viewer system for reviewing, rather than Turkopticon. You may have meant one and the same when you said TO, but generally speaking I find the TV pages are more accurate because of this fact.If you haven't already, you should grab Turk Viewer. (Link is at the top of this page in the black bar.)

Back when I was using both, I saw several instances where TO said they were fine but TV said to run.

EDIT: Not that it would have helped necessarily in this case, this is more of a heads up.

7. Tamara

Tamara New Turker

Ratings:
    +13
    Thank you for that info. I will definitely make sure I do that now.

8. Tamara

Tamara New Turker

Ratings:
    +13
    Here is the response I got after asking about the rejections. I got some questions incorrect when analyzing some confusing sentences. 5 out of 19 hits with 6 questions had a 1 sentence error.
    So basically, out of 114 sentences 5 were wrong. 5 rejections for me. What?!! I don't get an A for that? Remind me not to go to that college. lol
    Their response after I asked for them to be reversed and offering to make it up or redo the work if they would allow it...

"First of all, you should understand that we have the right to reject turker's work if the submission is not reliable because we pay you.
    Second, we understand people can make mistakes and it happens a lot.
    And we believe you made some mistakes on those submissions."

I will definitely be more careful from now on. The directions weren't all that clear as it was. I don't think anyone else even touched that one but me with my 19 HITS. l Live and learn...

9. Ashantay

Ashantay New Turker

Ratings:
    +0
    I did 15 of this, got one rejection which made me reach out to them, it was reversed. Plus the person who responded to me said the rejections are automated.

10. Tamara

Tamara New Turker

Ratings:
    +13
    They told me that too, and said they would investigate as I was panicking with 14 more still pending... They came back and told me 5 questions were wrong 1 from each of 5 HITS out of the 19 submitted. I was rejected for answering "yes" instead of "no" on those...the 1 partial part of the question was wrong in each. Possibly I scrolled and accidentally moved the dot, but oh well.

So you got 1 wrong answer out of 90+ questions. Why do they want humans working on this if they can't allow for some very minor human error? we aren't machines. I think that is the point of mturk isn't it? LOL
    it stinks...
    They have removed mine now after a bit of back and forth. I don't know if I would trust them in the future though.