[Please Help!] Trouble with Mturk

Discussion in 'Help & Guides' started by Zumarack, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Zumarack

Zumarack Turker

Ratings:
    +7
    Started Mturk some few weeks ago. I'm in the US with a 98.7915% Approval Rate and 281 hits completed, and it's honestly hard to get even 5$ a day. Can anyone help me with what I'm doing wrong? I use all the scripts and have taken a fair bit of qualification tests on the test page. Also, one thing is turkprime blocked me. I don't know if that's why but I'm trying to change my ISP. Tried to start with batches but I barely see any of them. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

2. t0nja

t0nja Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +7,236
    Hi, although I can't help you with scripts. I can let you know that with only 281 hits you are not going to be able to do many hits. Once you hit 500 you will see just a few more requester, but not many. It's not till you hit the 1000 mark that things open up a lot more. Usually at this point it's a matter of just getting your hits up and keeping you approval rate at 98% - 100%. After you hit 1000 completed hit the next mild stone where more open up is 5,000 then 10,000, 25,000, 50,000 .
    Good luck and keep at it!

• Like Like x 1
    • Today I Learned Today I Learned x 1
  3. billy

billy Active Turker

Ratings:
    +544
    Turkprime will remove people using VPNs, proxies, and poor quality workers. They have it by your worker ID so IF they did internally block you, changing your ISP is irrelevant.
    Do like t0nja said and get your hits up and focus on doing quality work.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Zumarack

Zumarack Turker

Ratings:
    +7
    I messaged them and this is what they said
    I think the error you're receiving is due to your location or ISP. If you use a VPN, some sort of server, or connect to the internet with anything that rotates or scrambles your IP address, then you might have trouble accepting some HITs.

Can you tell me who your ISP is?

I can tell you that we do not have a block on your Worker account.

I'm not using a VPN also.

5. billy

billy Active Turker

Ratings:
    +544
    It is possible you are in an area or your ISP is in an area they have tagged for poor quality responses. After some suspicious turkprime research of poor quality mturk users, they offered an alternative hypothesis to the bot scare last year stating there were farms of fake accounts submitting surveys coming from specific areas of the country. There were many duplicate IP addresses and clusters of locations where workers were submitting poor responses. They now offer a paid service to block those areas and I think they possibly do it automatically so customers can't claim turkprime gives low quality responses. The academic community has taken this to be fact so you might be out of luck with them.
    That is my theory anyway. Could be hogwash.

6. Funkyshot

Funkyshot Turker

Ratings:
    +110
    The best tip everyone is going to tell you is get to over 1000 Hits and then 5000 and then 10000. This is the best way to get more HITS. Find a setup that works for you by trial and error. You'll find everyone does things a little differently and most of the people that do make good money on Mturk do a ton of other things to make cash online so there not new to repetitive tasks. Making your own scripts is helpful to speed things up a bit if that's something you know how to do. If you would like to see my setup just let me know and I can show you a few things to make your life simpler. I average between 40-100 a day depending on the day and I don't do them on the weekends. Today I am at - Earnings: $68.01 plus 7 and some change in bonuses. I would consider today a decent day.

• Like Like x 1
    • Today I Learned Today I Learned x 1
  7. Gerbilreaper

Gerbilreaper Active Turker

Ratings:
    +1,291
    I will echo the sentiment of getting over 1000 hits as fast as possible, but let me add that using the daily thread here and interacting with these fine folks will also help tremendously in two ways.

1. You'll see a lot of hits that you may or may not have noticed in your scraper, this will improve your earnings.
    2. You will get a look at all the jobs that open up when you pass the unofficial marks (500 and 1000 HITs respectively) Which will motivate you.

I just recently passed 1000 myself and started using these forums just a few days before that. I've jumped from $2-5 a day to making over $30 most days and before noon. Keep at it my friend. So long as you listen to tips and keep chugging along it will get better.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Johnathon Wright

Johnathon Wright New Turker

Ratings:
    +3
    Shoot, I wanna see!

9. Funkyshot

Funkyshot Turker

Ratings:
    +110
    Anytime you want. Shoot me your skype or discord or w/e it is the cool kids use these days and I'll happily show you.

10. Johnathon Wright

Ratings:
    +3
    haha ok. I have a skype. whats your username?

11. PerseidsGirl

PerseidsGirl New Turker

Ratings:
    +10
    @Funkyshot thank you for the advice. I, too, am a bit overwhelmed with the pure grind of Turk, and also recently suffered a setback when LOTS of my hits were rejected by 1 requester (I was really shocked bc I try to do my best each HIT). I'd be interested in learning more about anything that will help me be a better Turker and get to 1000 quicker w/o rejections. Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Funkyshot

Funkyshot Turker

Ratings:
    +110
    Actually you guys are better off adding me on discord. I rarely have Skype open. Funkyshot#2163

• Like Like x 1
  13. Johnathon Wright

Ratings:
    +3
    sounds good to me. I don't use discord but was thinking about using it anyways. How do I add you on there? What's your username??

14. Funkyshot

Funkyshot Turker

Ratings:
    +110
    Funkyshot#2163 Go to the main page and click add friend.

15. Johnathon Wright

Ratings:
    +3
    ok my username is wrightguy. I sent a friend request... Thank you!

16. Zumarack

Zumarack Turker

Ratings:
    +7

Thank you. Added.