12/04 Wolfman Wednesday

Discussion in 'Daily mTurk HITs Threads' started by Mothra, Dec 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Troy

Troy Well-Known Turker

Ratings:
    +4,507
    OMG. I have been half tempted to put myself on NextDoor(im sure you know the app), or CL and just market myself for small repair stuff with the premise that if I can't fix it, than no charge. It would keep me busy, but also make a decent chunk of change. I always answer texts and calls and I bet a book of business could be built rather quickly as long as you communicate with people. It baffles me that businesses and people have as much business as they do when they don't call back. I repaired a woman's oven a few blocks down a few weeks back. Had her purchase the part and I installed it. I also snaked her tub while I was there, saving her a 200 service call. She was pouring potting soil down her tub since it was too cold outside to do it outside with the hose.... You can't fix stupid, but you can sure make a lot of money off it.

My biggest issue is asking for payment. I'm too nice of a guy although it's 100% expected from them that I be paid. She gave me 2 tombstone pizzas and a 30 case of beer. lol. I should have asked for 50 bucks and called it a day.

• Love Love x 2
  2. Rin

Rin Thread Destroyer TurkerView Masters

Ratings:
    +451
    SOBR [A14457MY6RVLIL] Women and Gender Diverse People’s Social Attitudes - $0.90 | PANDA

Low

Unrated

Unrated
    $6.63 / hour
    00:08:09 / completion time
    Pros:
    Cons:
    At least 7 attention check questions, terrible formatting and the same repetitive questions.

Qualifications: Total approved HITs >= 10000; HIT approval rate (%) > 95; Location EqualTo US;
    To read SOBR's full profile check out TurkerView!

3. IcyTundra

IcyTundra Tundra Thundra

Ratings:
    +17,080
    I've been tutoring kids for years - since college. 1980's - (athletes) to now, and I have to say going into the trades is particularly currently lucrative because all the old trades-people are retiring: tiling, HVAC, welding and plumbing - they are top dollar.

In the Northeast they are booking into summer right now.

It took us a year and a half to get our roof done reputably (could have had it sooner without warranty/slap dash - which is never a good idea in sideways snow and sleet.)

If you have a kid that is an artist --- one of the more specialty trades is custom tiling. It is very, very hard to find someone to design and tile an elaborate sunflower in your shower in tiles on the coast in a million dollar house. Just sayin....

4. IcyTundra

IcyTundra Tundra Thundra

Ratings:
    +17,080
    English teacher and welding are wildly different - but would encourage him to go to HS Counselor and pressure them for some apprenticeships in both fields ASAP to see what he likes - also get the certificate for welding because it's great money and good back pocket also awesome Michigan trades program. If he crawls under buildings and loves it - welding, if he is present when a teacher rallies kids to read something and loves it - English Teacher. Or something else. Is hard to know at that age.
    He might end up being a travelling welder who teaches Lit around the country?

• Love Love x 2
  5. BlueMountainBacon

BlueMountainBacon Well-Known Turker

Ratings:
    +1,889
    A long, long time ago, I graduated from Job Corps with a MIG certification. Sadly, I was young and wanted to graduate and get out in the world about as fast as most teenagers do who think they have the world by the balls, so I didn't learn as much as I could have (or should have) and I never ended up doing much with the skill, job wise. I still fire up our small Lincoln from time to time and dink around with scrap metal and that suits me ok, but those woulda-coulda-shoulda thoughts will probably linger forever.

So, to second your sentiment of young folks getting in on labor trades, I couldn't agree more <3

• Love Love x 1
  6. IcyTundra

IcyTundra Tundra Thundra

Ratings:
    +17,080
    Yeah that's the problem. Pizza and beer don't pay the rent.

Sounds like you have to differentiate between when you are doing a good deed for a neighbor... and billing. If you tell them up front you charge $40 an hour but you will do the job quickly and efficiently you will save them so much hassle - then go for it and invoice professionally.

We have this literally every day with my husband. Our house might leak, but everyone's houses leak, have stove problems, etc - and at some point you have to say - I will come over there Wednesday and fix it for this rate. (Actually at our host's Thanksgiving my SO was taken on a tour of the house and asked advice for many, many house problems including water coming through the floor of a bathroom....) But this is just normal for us at gatherings at this point.

Because you are handy you are in high demand. But you need to charge something (up front) and invoice.

• Love Love x 1
  7. BlueMountainBacon

BlueMountainBacon Well-Known Turker

Ratings:
    +1,889
    Title: Short qualification test | Accept
    Requester: SmithOscar [AKL99MZHRN058] Contact
    TO: [Pay=4.17] [Fast=4.75] [Comm=4.76] [Fair=4.98] [Reviews=85] [ToS=0]
    TO2: No Reviews
    Reward: 0.03
    Duration: 10:00
    Available: 874
    Description: Short qualification
    Qualifications: Already taken DoesNotExist ; Total approved HITs GreaterThan 1000; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 99; Location EqualTo US
    HIT exported from Mturk Suite v2.6.12

8. Jon B.

Jon B. New Turker

Ratings:
    +0
  9. Jon B.

Jon B. New Turker

Ratings:
    +0
  10. IcyTundra

IcyTundra Tundra Thundra

Ratings:
    +17,080
    Jeez did a couple MIG projects years ago - because husband worked in a metal shop. That's some fun stuff!
    Even if it's not trades would love to see your scrap metal art!

• Love Love x 1
  11. turker

turker Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +21,075
    spent all night getting ready to sew my first big sewing project in years. I hope you guys have a great morning, I'm going to sleep! :)

• Love Love x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  12. IcyTundra

IcyTundra Tundra Thundra

Ratings:
    +17,080
    I was waiting for CL but apparently not going to happen?

13. evaldes101993

evaldes101993 Well-Known Turker

Ratings:
    +1,186
    Source?

14. IcyTundra

IcyTundra Tundra Thundra

Ratings:
    +17,080
    No source. Source is got up early Monday. Nothing. Slept Tuesday dropped. Wednesday up....

• LOL LOL x 1
  15. Galadriel

Galadriel Turker

Ratings:
    +47
    Good Morning :emoji_sun_with_face:

Title: Short qualification test | PANDA
    Requester: SmithOscar [AKL99MZHRN058] (Req TV): $16.64/hr/hr
    (TO): [Pay: 4.17] [Fair: 4.98] [Comm: 4.76] [Fast: 4.75]
    Description:
    Short qualification
    Time: 10 minutes(s)
    HITs Available: 868
    Reward: $0.03
    Qualifications: Already taken DoesNotExist ; Total approved HITs GreaterThan 1000; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 99; Location EqualTo US;

16. keysman

keysman Well-Known Turker

Ratings:
    +11,718
    Title: Training qualifier to do UserBob HITs | Accept
    Requester: UserBob [A1G1PATDFBA7E5] Contact
    TV: [Hrly=$16.37] [Pay=Good] [Approval=~24 hrs] [Comm=Excellent] [Rej=0] [Blk=0]
    TO: [Pay=4.70] [Fast=4.99] [Comm=4.93] [Fair=5.00] [Reviews=87] [ToS=0]
    TO2: [Hrly=22.09] [Pen=0.45] [Res=1.00] [Rec=100] [Rej=0] [ToS=0] [Brk=0]
    Reward: 1.00
    Duration: 1:00:00
    Available: 1
    Description: Record your computer's screen and your voice while you spend 1 minute talking about your first visit to a website. Then upload the recording.
    Qualifications: Reviewer DoesNotExist ; Total approved HITs GreaterThanOrEqualTo 1000; Location In CA, US; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 99
    HIT exported from Mturk Suite v2.6.13

17. SirKiwiTheBrave

SirKiwiTheBrave ʇᴉnɹℲ ǝʌɐɹq ǝɥ┴

Ratings:
    +7,376
    I saw them yesterday but was blocked (so I'll probably be blocked again today if they drop). They've come as late as 8:30 EST that I've seen, so give it at least another hour before writing them off for the day.

• Like Like x 1
    • Today I Learned Today I Learned x 1
  18. Mecca

Mecca Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +7,499
    I've been blocked for a week now, wonder how long it takes to get it back.

19. IcyTundra

IcyTundra Tundra Thundra

Ratings:
    +17,080
    Thank you. This is very useful information as I am soooo tired b/c 5 am......

20. IcyTundra

IcyTundra Tundra Thundra

Ratings:
    +17,080
    Everybody seems to be saying a week? So you should be good to go?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.