New Turker

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by VolubleLoki2, Dec 20, 2019.

1. VolubleLoki2

VolubleLoki2 New Turker

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi everybody. I'm new to mturk. My sister generously helped me set everything up, but I'm kinda confused by all the pages. It will take me a while to get it. I hope everyone is having a wonderful holiday season!

• Like Like x 4
  2. Ornac

Ornac Survey Slinger TurkerView Masters

Ratings:
    +11,092
    Hello :wave:,

There is definitely a learning curve. You'll get there though. A word of warning, it's going to be pretty slow until after New Year so don't get discouraged, things will pick back up.

Make sure to check out the daily thread, that's where everybody hangs out. Feel free to ask questions if you need some help.

• Love Love x 1
  3. dan

dan daelian

Ratings:
    +61,817
    Get a feel for how everything works. Try to get an understanding of how the platform works. Learn how it's just a platform for "Requesters" (those who want work done) to post work so that turkers (us) can do the work. Get a feel of how some things are absolutely not worth doing. And then try to understand how the whole search function works - and understand that it's utterly useless and you need to use scripts to make working more efficient and practical.

Then learn about scripts. Mturksuite is a good starting point - but I suggest you wait a day or two, as it makes a lot of changes that may be confusing - as you may not know what is a normal mturk feature - and what is a feature provided by mturksuite.

4. purplepotato

purplepotato Lavender Spudkin

Ratings:
    +32,755
    Hi and welcome! Hope to see you around the daily threads :)
    [​IMG]

• Love Love x 1
  5. L Lemon

L Lemon Survey Slinger TurkerView Masters

Ratings:
    +12,417
    Hi! Welcome!

Take it at your own pace, there's no hurry and you'll pick things up as you go along. There's definitely a learning curve but there's a lot of resources out there to help.

#1 thing is to protect your rejection rating. Always keep that in mind with accepting and submitting hits. Try to pick up hits from requesters with maybe at least 25 reviews and no rejections. Stay away (for now at least) from any that have rejections noted.

Other than that, it's a pretty fun and interesting way to pick up some extra money. And the TurkerView forum is great to lurk through (or contribute to) for laughs, tips, and good hits.

[​IMG]

• Love Love x 2