Quals/Qualifeye Question

Discussion in 'Help & Guides' started by Bic66, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Bic66

Bic66 New Turker

Ratings:
    +5
    Embrionic turker (5 weeks in and too frightened to do first HIT) and rocking 100% Approval :) Having spent an uncountable number of hours reading, studying, etc., I decided Quals might get me over the fear-factor. Nearly lost lunch with a 1-question qual on native-born American or not. How could an Ohioan resident, born and raised in Michigan, fail? I didn't but... question. On Qualifeye, one button offers the option to 'permanently hide' the qual. Once I've completed, submitted, passed, is it wise to hide that qual from the list? 'Permanent' makes me nervous... 2nd question - do experienced turkers keep track in a personal db of what quals they've completed successfully? I didn't find any scripts dedicated to the export of or what-have-you on this, which made me think, must be no reason to?

Personally, my life experience has typically shown time and again that it tends to be the questions I DON'T even know to ask that trip me up. I'd rather benefit from others' learning curve and afford myself the luxury of brand new, never-before-seen mistakes than tanking myself by a lack of due diligence on my end. Thanks!

• Love Love x 1
  2. Ornac

Ornac Survey Slinger TurkerView Masters

Ratings:
    +11,092
    The other checkmark "got it" button seems like what you would want to use. I'm not sure if there's functionally any difference there. :dunno:

I don't.... I'm sure some do.

The more effective thing to do here is if you have a qualification for some batch work that you really like you'll put it in your include in your scraper so you get an alert when the jobs post.

There is a qual sorter script.

https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/38977-worker-mturk-qual-sorter

I'm not sure how well it works, but you might give it a look.

It sounds like you're being very careful about rejections which is a really good practice when you're new. As you do more hits and build up some buffer you can be a little more adventurous on trying out unproven hits.

You don't need to worry about rejections on qual tests unless they are an actual hit. So no worries on this section, "
    MTurk Qualification Tests (Last 7 Days)"

Stuff like this it's not so much pass or fail, but they're looking for a specific demographic. It won't hurt you to answer say no if they had asked if you were from Ohio. You might not get to do that hit, but they may also be looking for people who aren't from Ohio.... Always best to be honest with this.

• Like Like x 2
  3. purplepotato

purplepotato Lavender Spudkin

Ratings:
    +32,750
    It's really just up to your visual preference, to hide the ones you've already submitted if you don't want to see them (or if it's something you know you don't/never will qualify for or want). Doesn't make a difference beyond that, unless it's one that allows retakes and you think you'll want to keep trying if you fail.
    I don't, but others might. As @Ornac said, I think utilizing your include list is more effective, especially as batches come and go so frequently.

As you build your numbers, rejections will be easier to take, but they will happen. Try not to let it stress you out too much - check requesters' approval rating and reviews, and don't have more hits pending than you can take having rejected. Dashboard Enchancer is super helpful for that - https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/18991-mturk-worker-dashboard-enhancer

• Like Like x 2
  4. Bic66

Bic66 New Turker

Ratings:
    +5

5. Bic66

Bic66 New Turker

Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks, Ornac!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bic66

Bic66 New Turker

Ratings:
    +5
    Thank you @purplepotato - have to chuckle... I remember reading a post/comment about your potato not being purple early on :)

• LOL LOL x 1
  7. Bic66

Bic66 New Turker

Ratings:
    +5
    I didn't do the 'Thanks' @Ornac earlier... Hope you see it!

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  8. Bic66

Bic66 New Turker

Ratings:
    +5
    By the way, @Ornac and @purplepotato - I haven't DONE any HITS yet, lol. I've taken caution and 'trepidatious' to a new level. Humbling, frankly. Massive respect for the turker tribe!

9. purplepotato

purplepotato Lavender Spudkin

Ratings:
    +32,750
    Just gotta take the plunge, and the more you do the quicker you'll start to feel more comfortable. You got this!