[Guide] How do i use the scripts?

Discussion in 'Help & Guides' started by blasalle3, May 27, 2020.

1. blasalle3

blasalle3 New Turker

Ratings:
    +2
    i dont know how to use the scripts and they all say i have to have qualifications. and what is hit queue?

2. AlexZ

AlexZ Distinguished Butthat

Ratings:
    +45,934
    [​IMG]

• LOL LOL x 2
  3. Gerbilreaper

Gerbilreaper Active Turker

Ratings:
    +1,291
    Okay, this is actually a really broad question, but let's see if we can't set you in the right direction.

First, your question about scripts. Scripts are a very wide and broad category, but the two kinds most people will agree you need are a scraper and one for reviews. Now, if you're on this site, you best review option is TurkerView (https://turkerview.com/), since it's what we all use. MTS (MTurk Suite) is my suggestion for a starting scraper because it's easy to figure out with no knowledge of scripting and it's simply a Goggle Chrome addon, thus very easy to get up and running. Note that you'll need to follow the guide below before you can install TurkerView.

See this for a very basic understanding of both and how they would work: https://www.mturkguide.com/scripts.html

LEARNING TO USE YOUR SCRAPER WILL MAKE OR BREAK YOU ON MTURK. PERIOD.

Next, let's talk about qualifications. Many hits will require you to qualify first. Luckily, the amazing folks who run this place gave us a tool to keep up with those too. Qualifeye.

https://turkerview.com/qualifeye/

Check here to see what qualifications you haven't picked up yet and pick up any you can, often. More quals = more jobs. If you're using a scraper, you can set it to only show you jobs you qualify for, so you'll want to keep up on those. Notably, some of the most important quals are hit rejection rate and number of hits completed. You can keep the first one up by submitting quality work and using TurkerView to make sure you aren't doing work for reject happy requesters. The second is just a matter of time. 100, 500, 1000, and 5000 jobs completed are the early milestones you want to aim for. You'll see a jump in the type and pay of jobs at those levels.

Lastly, you're HIT Queue. The HIT queue is exactly what it sounds like; it's the hits you have lined up to work on that you haven't actually done yet. You want to keep up with this as much as you can, since most HiTs (AKA Jobs) have a timer. That said, there's nothing wrong with filling it up... So long as you can finish the work, otherwise it'll expire and just get thrown back into the pool for someone else to do.

This is a very base level response. For help with little things and for ongoing support as you get started, I suggest you visit the daily threads here on the forum. It's where everyone tends to hang out and the people here are super helpful. Listen to their advice. When I came here, I wasn't doing to great, but if you take their advice and work hard at it, you'll get there. Promise.

Happy Turking!

• Like Like x 4
    • Today I Learned Today I Learned x 2
    • Love Love x 1
    Last edited: May 27, 2020