[Browser Extension] MTS - Consuming too much memory

Discussion in 'mTurk Scripts & Resources' started by Niets, Jan 25, 2021.

1. Niets

Niets New Turker

Ratings:
    +39
    Hello, after the MTS update I feel like my computer is underperforming by A LOT.

I understand that newer technologies use to require a better hardware to keep up the performance, but overall I don't think this new version is optimized enough, that can even crash a 16gb RAM, i7 laptop.

Using the old version I could stay all day, and sometimes even more than 24 hours with it open searching/catching HITS, but now after 2 hours with the HIT Catcher and HIT Finder open, my computer feels like it's rendering some video in Adobe Premiere Pro, it becomes excessively laggy and unresponsive.

I just don't think something is right, or is probably allocating waaay more memory than it's intended for use in long periods of time.

upload_2021-1-25_14-25-50.png

Almost every day this crash happens, which isn't a common crash if you're only with like 5 tabs of Chrome opened: HIT Catcher, HIT Tracker, Facebook, Gmail and MTurk.

Other error:

upload_2021-1-25_14-27-37.png

I'm not even using Netflix/Youtube anymore on my laptop to prevent more performance issues, now I'm watching both from my iPhone and the "out of memory" error message keeps happening constantly.

Is there any way to make the new version of the extension more memory efficient like the older one, or a tutorial to browse through the settings to make it consume less memory ?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  2. ZK594

ZK594 New Turker

Ratings:
    +2
    Same here. This update sucks so bad. All it has done is made me lose money.

3. Vince

Vince Turker

Ratings:
    +352
    I had the same issues until I removed MTS and re added it and it seemed to cure a lot. Still get an occasional crash

4. The Atheist

The Atheist New Turker

Ratings:
    +7
    Have you tried using a Chome alternative, like Chromium, Opera, or Brave browsers? I'm running on an i7 16gb laptop myself using Opera running on Linux with 2 virtual machines running in the background with no issues after updating MTS. Sounds like to me it may be Chrome itself causing you memory problems.

5. Niets

Niets New Turker

Ratings:
    +39
    Could be, I've never used Opera, but after reading your post I've searched the Brave Browser, TBH it's really good and I've liked the concept behind it so I'll stick with it, so I thank you for the tip! But the problem is still happening.

I don't have enough data to help, since I've downloaded the new browser today, but feels like using this Brave takes a longer time for the problems to appear, still, after the 5th hour it was clear that it was underperforming, with the tabs taking a while to have their transition, and the mouse sometimes freezing like if the computer was begging to free some memory for it to perform well until the "error, not enough memory".

Another advice I got was:

Sorry Vince, I know you had good intentions on that one since it worked with you. I tried that even before the Brave browser solution above, but overall it was like I "turned it off an on again" but the problem didn't change.