06/06 - Sliding Sunday!

Discussion in 'Daily mTurk HITs Threads' started by TissueHime, Jun 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IcyTundra

IcyTundra Tundra Thundra

Ratings:
    +17,080
    Ohhhh so all the glitchy techno skips - so basically you like the modern version of record scratching and the best mixes.

Who is your fave underground rap?

Also I wasn't kidding about Tibetan throat singing either - we've had two absolutely amazing opportunities in our lives to see that live. One was when the Dalai Lama came to Michigan (just post college for me) and spoke. Literally probably if I had to name top things I've been to in my life, tops was the Dalai Lama when I was in my 20's. He opened up the floor for questions and somebody asked a complicated question about how to live their lives, etc etc - and he smiled and said "Just be happy". That influenced my life SO much.

• Love Love x 3
  2. IcyTundra

IcyTundra Tundra Thundra

Ratings:
    +17,080
    Also I'm curious... British or Brooklyn for underground rap? Both have scenes.

3. Vincent P

Vincent P Active Turker

Ratings:
    +923
    Yeah I like the duality between really good production (I used to produce EDM and things like that) and the rap influences that have snuck their way into the genre. Some of the new hyperpop producers are just amazing. Plus I used to be a scene kid so that sort of explains the taste. Finding new ways to mix all of those genres are what a lot of the newer artists including me are trying to do.

capoxxo and drippin so pretty are two of my favorite artists right now, but I could go on for days about rap itself. capoxxo mixes elements from rap, emo, and even hardstyle and techno and I can just see him changing the soundscape someday. Daylyt isn't really underground but he's not as well known as he should be--I'm also really into battle rap and not a lot of people know that he ghostwrites for many famous mainstream rappers. He's from the Jordan Downs Projects in Watts, CA. He's one of the most intelligent lyricists in the world and his message is really powerful.

I'm all over the Brooklyn scene, one of my best friends went to high school/was friends with Joey Badass and all of the Pro Era kids. Not huge on British rap but I have a lot of UK Drill in some of my playlists. I know some French drill artists too that I could list off. Same with Chicago drill, I could name 50 obscure artists that nobody but me would probably know lol. Florida, too. I'm friends with some artists that perform for more mainstream artists like Wifisfuneral (I was actually supposed to be on stage with him at a show but I got covid :emoji_unamused:).

A lot of people that I used to listen to that WERE underground aren't really so anymore because the scene is blowing up. Not to be a hipster or anything but I really did used to talk to a lot of these artists and were listening to them before their underground style was popular. I did a song with 24kGoldn back in 2015 before anybody knew who he was and what do you know 3 years later he tops out at #1 on the Billboard Charts.

• Like Like x 1
    • Today I Learned Today I Learned x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  4. WalledPillow

WalledPillow Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +8,634
    I mean, I post kpop all the time, and @SunlitSunflower likes to post vocaloids

I'm sure you can't do worse than that lol

• Love Love x 3
  5. Vincent P

Vincent P Active Turker

Ratings:
    +923
    Gives me the same vibe as this song which is one of my guilty pleasure favorites:

All of my hoodrat friends make fun of me for playing stuff like this, I feel safer posting it here than posting the stuff me and them listen to :emoji_joy:

• LOL LOL x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  6. WalledPillow

Ratings:
    +8,634
    I think you've named almost all musical genres... I really can't think of anything else lol

• LOL LOL x 1
  7. Vincent P

Vincent P Active Turker

Ratings:
    +923
    Well we could break down EDM into dub, dubstep, moombahton, moombahcore, hybrid trap, glitchcore, neurohop, drum and bass.......

I'll stop there, my inner ex DJ is going to start coming out

• LOL LOL x 1
  8. WalledPillow

Ratings:
    +8,634
    [​IMG]

I like this :)

I definitely understand what you mean though lol. I get a lot of stick from friends and family for some of the music I listen too :emoji_smile:

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  9. Vincent P

Vincent P Active Turker

Ratings:
    +923
    Funny part is I guarantee I have something on my Spotify that every single person I come across would like, I really do listen to everything and am never quick to judge. But whatever, let's just enjoy our music the way we want to :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  10. WalledPillow

Ratings:
    +8,634
    [​IMG]

Never even heard of these. I guess you learn something new everyday

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  11. Vincent P

Vincent P Active Turker

Ratings:
    +923
    Neurohop is definitely something else. The producers who make it are extremely underrated and often synthesize a lot of their music completely from scratch. Once you learn how it's made it's pretty mind-boggling. Oddly enough I feel the same way about it that I feel about bluegrass, which is that there are so many insanely skilled and underappreciated artists in the genre:

• Like Like x 1
    • WOW WOW x 1
  12. WalledPillow

Ratings:
    +8,634
    There's so much good music out there, it only makes sense to listen to as much as possible.

I suppose I could stop talking about music and answer @IcyTundra. I'm pretty sure I posted these before, but here they are again.

• Love Love x 2
  13. Vincent P

Vincent P Active Turker

Ratings:
    +923
    Yeah once someone allows me to open the floodgates about music it's pretty hard for me to stop so I feel you there...

EDIT: An MIA song I haven't heard, let's go !!

• LOL LOL x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  14. Vincent P

Vincent P Active Turker

Ratings:
    +923
    The MIA track reminds me of my old Santigold obsession back in high school

• Love Love x 2
  15. IcyTundra

IcyTundra Tundra Thundra

Ratings:
    +17,080
    I'll check out capoxxo and drippin. I love mixing it up.

You know I'm from metro-Detroit right? We lived at "The Shelter" - which later became famous because of "8 Mile" - but was our regular haunt. So... we saw some olden days rap battles that I still remember as - DAMN. (I'm guessing you have some ODB on your playlist :) )

And, although my husband was more of a metal and funk musician, and then I was a booking agent (in a bunch of genres) for over a decade - I never really booked rap, hip-hop, EDM. I was more into esoteric punk and quirky world music.

Pretty interesting you went to school with Joey. Understand saying you were part of an underground scene and than suddenly everybody knows about them. For me it was more - Philly vs Detroit stuff and our underground was heavily rap and funk driven. (Back then it was ICP, Eminem blah blah blah) I liked sneaking out to some Iggy though :)

Would love to hear your song with 24kGoldn - that would be a fun deep dive!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Vincent P

Vincent P Active Turker

Ratings:
    +923
    And if we're posting KPop this song holds a VERY special place in my heart :emoji_joy::

This song was sort of a meme among me and a couple of my friends waaaay way back. I'm so glad you reminded me it exists haha

• Love Love x 2
  17. WalledPillow

Ratings:
    +8,634
    Man I used to love Santigold! I really haven't kept up with her music though.

This track is wild though! The intro feels like I'm experiencing that part in sci-fi movies when the aliens is trying to get inside of the humans head. That made no sense lol I hope you get me though :emoji_smile:

• LOL LOL x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  18. Vincent P

Vincent P Active Turker

Ratings:
    +923
    Oof, I'd love to share it but man is it old and really bad--on both of our parts :emoji_joy:. That's interesting to hear because ever since I started making music I've worked really hard to blend elements from different styles that I've always appreciated. I do a lot of old school hip hop but I also do a lot of emo rap and have always loved mixing punk and electronic elements in my songs. I think the artists that can do that well are the true geniuses in this era. capoxxo is really good at that, I love how he raps over hardstyle beats and things of that nature. I could probably name a few Detroit artists you're familiar with :emoji_zipper_mouth:

• Love Love x 1
  19. IcyTundra

IcyTundra Tundra Thundra

Ratings:
    +17,080
    @WalledPillow and @Vincent P - two of my fave songs in a row :)

• Love Love x 3
  20. Vincent P

Vincent P Active Turker

Ratings:
    +923
    Yeah Zebbler Encanti are some wild dudes. They synthesize most of their sounds themselves and are incredible engineers. The sound design is something to behold and trippy as all hell, like you said. I wouldn't be surprised to see them on the credits for the sound effects of an alien movie. They do a lot of light shows for different artists too--they are true engineers in the most scientific sense of the word.

• Love Love x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.