Scripts / Extensions 101 for a N00b?

Discussion in 'mTurk Scripts & Resources' started by phoenixrising, Jan 26, 2022.

1. phoenixrising

phoenixrising Active Turker

Ratings:
    +1,653
    Hello everyone!

I've been turking actively since October and I've lurked around here a bit. I currently use MTS and I absolutely love it. It's been great getting feedback from fellow Turkers and it's saved me from wasting time and possible rejections from less than savory requestors.

I'm reading through the scripts and I'm very interested in using Tampermonkey and hit catchers and all that jazz, but I'm not really sure where to start or what exactly I'm doing. Is there a thread you can point me to or someone willing to give me a layman's term breakdown step-by-step of how to set it up?

I appreciate you all and I've gained so much already. There is a real feeling of teamwork when I visit this forum and use MTS. Thank you in advance.

2. phoenixrising

Ratings:
    +1,653
    Alright, well this site is a wealth of information. I have installed TamperMonkey to eventually download PandA. I'm trying to read up on it extensively, because all I can picture is accidentally queueing too many jobs and having them time out and being penalized for it. I'm picturing everything that can go wrong at this moment. I will continue to read. I wanna be like y'all. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. KelKoval78

KelKoval78 Turker

Ratings:
    +71
    I wish that I understood it or I would be happy to help you. Those Scripts are out of my league lol I use MTS as well and I love it and plan to stick to it. I have tried using tamper monkey and a few others but when nobody helps you and there are no instructions it's hard to figure out on your own. Maybe it was just me but I spent hours trying to figure a few out. I lost more money trying to figure out how to use them than working. Because I couldn't get help or questions answered so I uninstalled every one of them after wasting many hours. So I know what you're saying. If I had any idea I would most certainly tell you. I'm not in it for "competition" like a lot of other people are or however/whatever they wanna call it. I'm here just to try to make a living the best way I can do at the moment. So I just honestly have been sticking to MTS the entire time I've been Turking. It's extremely helpful and I love it.

4. j0sh83

j0sh83 Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +8,172
    The beauty of MTS is that you do not actually need to use any scripts as MTS rolls them (or their equivalent functionality) all into one neat package. You are already using it, so you are good to go.

If you really wanted to install Tampermonkey though, its very simple. Go to the Google Chrome store and search for Tampermonkey. Follow their video instructions on the landing page if you need a tutorial on how to install and use the product if you need a step-by-step.

Once installed, I find it's helpful to pin the extension to the browser so its always visible.

upload_2022-1-27_13-36-55.png

Click the Tampermonkey icon and make sure it's enabled. Your scripts are held in the Dashboard.

upload_2022-1-27_13-40-24.png

You can find most scripts here: https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts?q=mturk, but you can also run a search on greasyfork if something is not labeled as Mturk, or search through these forums if you are looking for something specific.

Keep in mind that scripts, just like MTS, are updated by users. They may or may not be supported, and they may or may not come with a tutorial. There is plenty of knowledge already jotted down here in the forums, so if you see a script in the list that you want to look at, just run a search here or on Google to see what others have already shared.

• Like Like x 1
  5. phoenixrising

Ratings:
    +1,653
    Thank you both for your input. I love MTS and I think I'm going to stick with that. I check in frequently enough that a simple page reloader with my filters set is working well for me. I am pleasantly surprised with the additional income turking provides.

• Like Like x 2
  6. KelKoval78

KelKoval78 Turker

Ratings:
    +71

Thank you!! Like TRIPLE thank you lol You honestly just explained it in a way that I get it, I finally understand. I had spent hours trying to figure it out myself that I kind of gave up confidence and almost quit like everything all together it was so frustrating. And now I understand it's like an Epiphany honestly. Sometimes I am the type of person has a hard time learning things on my own like this. I honestly appreciate this a lot. Thank you for taking the time and helping me/us.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Fuzzy_Dunlop

Fuzzy_Dunlop Turker

Ratings:
    +58
    On your first attempt, what part of the install instructions did you have trouble with?
    Code:
    https://www.tampermonkey.net/?browser=chrome

• Like Like x 1
  8. phoenixrising

Ratings:
    +1,653
    I have abandoned that route for now. I found a different script that is easier for me to use. Once I get more experience with requestors, I will revisit this.

• Like Like x 1
  9. KelKoval78

KelKoval78 Turker

Ratings:
    +71
    Hello (sorry for the delayed response if your asking me)... I'm really not really technically challenged lol but I simply just didn't understand how to use it lol I'm embarrassed saying that but its the truth.. I had no problem installing it, nothing like that. I didn't know what to push on anything to select it/set it up? Or what not to be messing with on it. Install, no problem, nothing like that. Its just simply how to use it. I've never used script before. So it was all new to me I was so nervous I was going to do something unfixable lol I had no idea what to select or how to start it operate it all together lol

Last edited: Jan 31, 2022