[Guide] Usertesting Quick Guide

Discussion in 'Help & Guides' started by lefty, Aug 5, 2017.

1. lefty

lefty Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +49,005
    Hey all! I've been wanting to do this for a while.

Usertesting.com is a website I've been using for years now to make a little side hustle money. Lately it has become very prolific for me, and I thought I'd share a few of my small nuggets of knowledge.

I used to get a smattering of 4 star reviews with some 5s thrown in, but lately I've gotten nothing but 5s and I get the opportunity to test at least once a day seems like. Since I have a full time job I can't do as many as I'd like, but I'm averaging around 200-400 a month depending on when I can do them.

Here's a under 6 minute video where I go over a little about how I test

I didn't mention it in the video, but another important thing to do is if you don't like something you're testing for, don't be afraid to say so... just say it professionally and try to come up with a way to make it better. It's sort of like that old adage "don't just give me problems, give me solutions".

Just thought this might help some of y'all test a little better, if anyone has any questions please feel free to throw them my way and I'll go over how I do it!

• Today I Learned Today I Learned x 12
    • Like Like x 4
    • Your Spellcheck Is As Broke As a Turker Working for Brelig Your Spellcheck Is As Broke As a Turker Working for Brelig x 1
  2. furiousloverv2

furiousloverv2 Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +3,851
    I've been signed up on this website but this motivated me to go ahead do the first test/recording. Hopefully they think I'm good enough :)

3. lefty

lefty Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +49,005
    Don't get discouraged! When I first started doing them I never got any tests it seems like, then over time it began to ramp up, especially when I started turking as I spent more time at the computer.

The worst review I ever got was a 2 long ago, and you can recover from bad scores if you just keep plugging onward.

Good luck :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Your Spellcheck Is As Broke As a Turker Working for Brelig Your Spellcheck Is As Broke As a Turker Working for Brelig x 1
  4. slothbear

slothbear Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +22,069
    Seeing the @ChrisTurk's MOTM post reminded me that you made this video. I signed up with usertesting shortly after you posted this and I've been able to do a few tasks so far. I think my total is $53 for the month. I've tried to do a few on Android, but they won't upload. UT credited for the first failed one though. Thanks!

• Love Love x 1
  5. lefty

lefty Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +49,005
    That's great! I'm averaging around 300 a month with them, because I'm not at home all day. I really think for people who can do this a lot more, after they get a base of videos submitted, it'll be quite lucrative.

• 5/5 Pay 5/5 Pay x 1
  6. Gudetama

Gudetama New Turker

Ratings:
    +20
    I've signed up for UserTesting, but I haven't really utilized it properly since my MacBook died and my other Windows computer couldn't even take 3 tabs on Google Chrome. I think I might've applied once on a similar site and they rejected. Here's hoping I can get a second chance?

7. lefty

lefty Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +49,005

Totally worth trying, the Usertesting team is usually very receptive. Give it another go!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Rocknrolla

Rocknrolla Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +7,585
    Thanks for putting this up. I got this shiny new mic and never used it :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. drena

drena New Turker

Ratings:
    +0
    I just signed up and did the test. I am not sure if I will be accepted I was not as smooth as I wished to be.

10. WillowWolf

WillowWolf Mischief Managed

Ratings:
    +39,578
    You should be able to test again, if you don't get it the first time. I think it took me at least two or three tries back when I did it, but it's been a while.

• Today I Learned Today I Learned x 1
  11. Lindazzz

Lindazzz Turker

Ratings:
    +13
    2/28/2020
    I know you posted this a while back, but I just came upon it, and I've taken notes on your video. I had 8 tests in my first 2 weeks, which was great for a beginning, and I decided to slack off on MTurk, where I don't do very well anymore (whole other story.)

I no longer work full-time, and I can keep my computer on all day with one tab open for them, so plenty of tests drop onto my page. But I don't qualify for most of the screeners. They want such very specific quals that maybe 1 out of 10,000 workers have. Is there some way I can get more general tests? Does everyone get the same selection on their dashboard page?

I was paid for all 9 tests, but I've only had 2 rated. Does that mean something?

Two tests ended abruptly with blank pages, and I didn't know if I should stop the recorder. They don't reply to questions I've left at the Help page. In both cases, I closed the site, and then they never appeared on my completed tests list.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  12. Lindazzz

Lindazzz Turker

Ratings:
    +13
    Is that your video, @edsharp?

I haven't missed any in a month. First 2 weeks I made $90, then only $10 in the past 2 weeks.
    YOU DO NOT qualify for most of them. You make $10 in 20 minutes, but it's after sitting at your screen for 12 hours. 4 of the tests were broken, and I got no credit.

Just know this before you get involved

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
  13. Lindazzz

Lindazzz Turker

Ratings:
    +13
    Has anyone used userfeel.com or trymyUI.com?

14. Lindazzz

Lindazzz Turker

Ratings:
    +13
    Sorry, not interested in T-shirts. So you're here just to advertise your T-shirts?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020