Expensify Infra [Receipt Categorizations]

Discussion in 'Requesters' started by KeaganExpensify, Sep 22, 2017.

1. KeaganExpensify

KeaganExpensify Expensify Infra

Ratings:
    +33
    TurkerHub Admin Edit: If you've come here from ArsTechnica or similar news sources recently reporting on Expensify, please consider reading this message from their CEO.

Hey all! It's been a while--last I chatted was over on mturkgrind.com. My more recent posts there were how I got an official job, and that job does things that might've transitioned well to MTurk (discussions starting here and in subsequent posts).

Well, great news--now that stuff is on Turk! If you need proof I work here, my name's Keagan and I'm on this page. Here's the HIT group we have up at the moment.

That said, I wanted to come here because I saw some pretty bad reviews on turkopticon and assume the difficulties we're having rolling this out are translating to those reviews, which then tend to propagate like wildfire. We're actually at the beginning of rolling out, and I really don't want this to be a permanent impression, so I'm here to serve as a bit of a liaison because I know how important it is to workers to have quality hits, and I know how important it is to Expensify to be a quality requester.

So--for those that have worked on these, how can we help? For those who haven't but are just looking now, how can we make these HITs better (e.g., instructions more clear, etc.)?

Essentially--how can I make everything as awesome as possible so this is a great HIT group that we can count on the awesome pool of high-quality HIT workers to enjoy?

For now, one little disclaimer I want to pass along: we're still rolling this out and it's definitely not meant to be 100% mainstream at this time, so please give us a hot minute (a week or so I'd say?) to iron out the main issues. We're working on it, I promise!

Also, just a heads up that this is actually really out of the scope for my normal job here, so I'm largely doing this outside of my regular job because I want to help. Which is to say if I don't respond immediately, that doesn't mean I don't notice and I'll definitely work on it!

• Like Like x 8
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2017
  2. Tripsa

Tripsa ┴ɹᴉdsɐ

Ratings:
    +30,588
  3. NBadger

NBadger Mod of Cat Gifs

Ratings:
    +40,241
    Welcome! :)

@ChrisTurk this man needs a requester badge :)

4. KeaganExpensify

Ratings:
    +33
    Thanks for the welcome and for sharing that one with me--will reply there, and happy to have this be a central thread as well!

5. ChrisTurk

ChrisTurk Administrator

Ratings:
    +162,927
    Welcome to the forum, I'll get you setup w/ a Requester flair in a moment.. but this is my biggest problem with your HIT:
    upload_2017-9-22_15-26-51.png

I can't even look at it to give you feedback, lol.

Using the Sandbox is a good way to avoid giving off a bad first impression while you get the kinks worked out. Highly recommend pulling anything that is broken & heading that direction to bug-fix.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Ethraiel

Ethraiel Well-Known Turker

Ratings:
    +1,480
    First, thanks for posting here :)
    I tried to do a couple of your HITs but I just had a "submit" button pop up when i accepted them. [​IMG]
    I'm guessing that's not supposed to happen? Also looking through your TO reviews you seem to reject pretty often, I'd suggest using some sort of qual blocking instead. Even if the rejections were well deserved most people will tank your TO if they get 1, let alone a handful.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ThisPoorGuy

ThisPoorGuy ThisPoorMod

Ratings:
    +81,571
    Hey there! Welcome to the Hub!

Couple of things:

1) We just launched a brand new feature over here called TurkerView that's basically a brand new turkopticon which helps promote sharing between requesters and the workers. Right now your profile is over here: https://turkerview.com/requesters/?id=A3544U5IURX808 (You can claim it with a fancy link, assuming that's working @ChrisTurk ;) )

I'm the only review right now, sorry about that ;)

2) So as far as feedback, I did the date HIT, so all this is focused with that in mind.

I found the interface to be a little wonky. It was hard to see the receipt date especially if you zoomed in by hovering the mouse over it, and then had to click the date field to type it in, you lost your zoom. If you could show them larger, maybe 1 at a time? that would be helpful for speed.

3) I found the HIT to be a smidge underpaid. at 10 cents it took me about a minute to go through and do it which is a little under $5/hour. If you bumped that to 15 or 20 (preferably) you're talking minimum wage work now and you'll get a lot more people doing more high quality work.

• Like Like x 1
    • LOL LOL x 1
    • Today I Learned Today I Learned x 1
  8. angel

angel Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +28,535
    same here
    upload_2017-9-22_15-29-46.png

• Like Like x 1
  9. Eisenpower

Eisenpower Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +11,870
    Yeah, all I see is a submit button. I clicked it on the off chance that it's supposed to load something but it just submitted. I don't know anything about it beyond that.

10. Jude

Jude Well-Known Turker

Ratings:
    +1,798
    Me three! I made sure adblock was off as well so that's not the issue.

[​IMG]

11. hvnnvr

hvnnvr Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +6,132
  12. GoldGuardian

GoldGuardian Black Order

Ratings:
    +16,743
    I tried doing the Amount and Currency hit earlier and these were my issues:

1. No instructions.
    2. When I tried to submit, it told me to round it up or down I believe (hence why instructions would of helped) some of my answers.
    3. Once I fixed the issue above, wouldn't let me submit it. I clicked submit and it said loading next hit but wouldn't actually submit the hit.

• Today I Learned Today I Learned x 1
  13. ChrisTurk

ChrisTurk Administrator

Ratings:
    +162,927
    Its not :p But since his account is registered from expensify domain itself I went ahead and assigned it to him manually.

..of course one of the features I'm like "its OK if that's not working perfectly, we're a few weeks from needing it" is immediately necessary :emoji_joy:

• LOL LOL x 3
  14. Northdakotamom

Northdakotamom Active Turker

Ratings:
    +662
    i fourth the only submit button issue

15. KeaganExpensify

Ratings:
    +33
    Thanks for all the feedback so far! Working on reporting these now. Will add this to the initial description here as well, but just a heads up that this is actually really out of the scope for my normal job here, so I'm largely doing this outside of my regular job because I want to help. Which is to say if I don't respond immediately, that doesn't mean I don't notice and I'll definitely work on it!

• Like Like x 3
    • Today I Learned Today I Learned x 2
  16. laby

laby Survey Slinger Former MTG MotM TurkerView Masters

Ratings:
    +31,296
    I accepted one from each group and all that was on screen was the green submit. So broken for me at least, I tried in Chrome and Firefox.

Looking at the TO, there were people rejected who reached out to you and haven't received a response or at least they haven't updated TO and that doesn't look good. People would prefer you use quals to keep them from working on your hits if they aren't doing a good job rather than rejecting.

The fact that you're here is a good thing and hopefully you will be able to get everything sorted out.

Welcome to the Hub!

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  17. KeaganExpensify

Ratings:
    +33
    Okay! Lots of feedback here--thanks guys! My understanding is we should have worked out what's making the page blank, but it might take a hot minute to propagate, so I'm keeping an eye on that one. Sorting through all the other awesome feedback we got here one-by-one; thanks again!

• Like Like x 2
  18. KeaganExpensify

Ratings:
    +33
    Thank you!

19. ThisPoorGuy

ThisPoorGuy ThisPoorMod

Ratings:
    +81,571
    :flail:

20. BarnCat

BarnCat Active Turker

Ratings:
    +916
    Aside from the blank page, I fully agree with the disqualification qual instead of rejections. I looked at the TO page and those just screamed AVOID. I take my ranking seriously (Masters/zero rejections) and I would not do any of those HITs based on the rejections alone. That being said, the fact you are here and asking for opinions speaks volumes. Most requesters won't bother and will be satisfied with whatever workers they get. If you do decide to go with a disqualification (notice I didn't say block) qual as your policy, then I would make that known on TO and our new TV site.

• Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 2