Laptop for fast turking

Discussion in 'Help & Guides' started by Firespirit, May 24, 2018.

1. Firespirit

Firespirit Active Turker

Ratings:
    +2,122
    Oooo thats a lot of ram. Nice! My nephew builds comps as well. Might have him build a lappy in the future. Making good money on turk in the past always required a fast comp as you had to be able to grab things quickly before 100's/thousands of others. With all the scripts and programs now- it needs even more of an ability to run a lot at a time without lagging- Thank you!

2. Randomacts

Randomacts Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +124,073
    You don't really 'build a laptop'

Turking doesn't really require a crazy rig anyways. My 2011 build has no problems with anything mturk related.

3. Firespirit

Firespirit Active Turker

Ratings:
    +2,122
    Yes you can build one-Otherwise we wouldn't have any laptops. Some do, but not as fancy as desktops fur sure- Those are much more customized. I do. My 4 gigs is not cutting it. Of course, thats because you have nice ram and GHz. I THINK this is 2.5GHZ- It's not cutting it.

4. Jayce

Jayce New Turker

Ratings:
    +5
    Uhm, this will be OFF TOPIC I think.

But can someone please PM or help me with some technical issues.

I am buying a new PC. I have 1,000 USD to spend.
    (haha, ty Mturk :emoji_calling: for funding my upcoming beast :) )

My two requirements will be Intel Core i7-8700, and Geforce GTX 1070 with 8gb ram.

All other components are open to help or advice.

-J

5. Jayce

Jayce New Turker

Ratings:
    +5
    Random, which video adapter are you using on your desktop machine?

6. Randomacts

Ratings:
    +124,073
    You mean graphics card?

amd rx480 but you can get away with a $20 GPU for turking or even onboard on the modern stuff.

7. Randomacts

Ratings:
    +124,073
    I suggest reposting this into the daily thread as the only reason taht someone would check this thread at this point would be from a mention or quote ect.

I'm not sure why your requirements are a specific GPU and CPU when they might not be the best choice for your budget.

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/ would be more likely to be able to help you anyways if you use reddit.

8. Mothra

Mothra Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +11,952

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b3QN6s

$1368.63 after mail ins, no OS if that matters to you.

You could save maybe $80 on ram if you can get by with 8gb, ~$50 on a different board, $50 on the 8700 if you don't care about the k part, maybe $20 on a case.

Of course, there are also lots of places you could spend more. Getting a 1070 and an 8700 is kind of out of bounds for a $1000 build, and consumer volta is coming out in a month or two, so you might be able to get an 1170(2070?) for ~$400 if you can wait.

9. Havoc928

Havoc928 Active Turker

Ratings:
    +818
    I know I am beating a dead horse but I highly recommend that Acer Aspire E 15. I don't use it for turking unless I go out by the pool or something for surveys but it really is great AS LONG as you ditch the piece of crap HDD that it comes with for an M.2 SSD. If you are just turking you can get away with the RAM it comes with but if you keeps scores of tabs open upgrade that too.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Jayce

Jayce New Turker

Ratings:
    +5
    Havov, did you mean to take out the unnamed 256gb SSD and put in an M.2 SSD?

11. Jayce

Jayce New Turker

Ratings:
    +5
    Havov, did you mean to take out the unnamed 256gb SSD and put in an M.2 SSD?

ed: sorry for dual post

12. tylerindycolts

tylerindycolts Active Turker

Ratings:
    +1,187
    I run Linux (specifically Lubuntu) on my crappy Dell N5030 and it's lightning fast. If you have an older laptop, or just wanna buy one for cheap, I'd suggest throwing an LXDE or XFCE based Linux distro on their and it'll be lightning fast.

13. boxingislife562

boxingislife562 Turker

Ratings:
    +3
    thanks for this might actually go this route for turking on a laptop, sometimes I get too tired sitting on the desktop for long periods.

14. marcusdavvid

marcusdavvid Well-Known Turker

Ratings:
    +5,187
    You can save your money and get the GPU later if you really want it, since it's not required for turking. Also, a quad core i3-8100 would probably be good enough, but it depends on your usage and what else you are running. As for ram, 8gb is enough though I recommend 16gb these days with a decent SSD. M.2 isn't necessary though it's nice if you can afford it.

15. Achilles2357

Achilles2357 New Turker

Ratings:
    +7
    I've been on LXDE for a month or two. Not bad at all for a mid-range laptop. (Arch distro, because I'm probably crazy, but...)

16. urtho9

urtho9 Active Turker

Ratings:
    +709
    I am using a Dell Inspirion 7000 17 inch 2 in 1, it's excellent but not the cheapest option. I'm finding it invaluable having a touch screen because of those times where I need to make a quick adjustment to my view I just lift a hand off the keyboard and slide it to where I need it. Also the fact it has a nearly identically sized keyboard to a regular desktop keyboard makes typing much faster and easier.

17. Takeaflick

Takeaflick New Turker

Ratings:
    +12
    Any refurbished Thinkpad

x220 is the smoothest by far though

18. Saqfish

Saqfish Active Turker

Ratings:
    +557
    I'm actually writing this on a x220. I got it almost 2 years ago for $140. The best thing I have ever bought.

• Like Like x 1