01/18 - Wiki Wild Wild.. Wiki Wiki Wild.. Wiki Wild, Wiki Wiki Wild Wild Wednesday

Discussion in 'Daily mTurk HITs Threads' started by ChrisTurk, Jan 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisTurk

ChrisTurk Administrator

Ratings:
    +162,927
    [​IMG]
    First of all, I want to thank @CarbonX for this entire idea. He's the one who suggested a Wiki content system would be beneficial to the community and I wholeheartedly agree with him.

I'd like to invite everyone to check out our brand new mTurk Wiki!

It is still very sparse for content, but I'm just one man and the bulk of my efforts have been installing, styling (it should be compatible with the dark theme already, yay!), and creating the general structure behind the scenes. I have put more hours into this than I ever dare admit, and its still a half barren wasteland of future improvements, haha.

So, why a Wiki?

The more research I've done on running a forum the more I've come to see that forums are best left to only handling discussion. Users are shown the latest posts and activity first with no regard to content relevance. That doesn't particularly bode well for certain types of knowledge sharing, especially static content and information that doesn't change very often. Pouring knowledge into a forum thread simply obscures it as there is no way to properly "flow" users through multiple threads and comments spread across days/weeks (or longer).

Threads/posts offer a good way to quickly coordinate on "up to the minute" data that may be fluid at the time, but once a resolution or conclusion has been made it is likely to be lost in a sea of new content. Think of the Daily Thread as a workplace. In this setting a worker may come in for his/her shift, notice he needs a pencil (PandA link, update on who/what has posted, etc) and simply ask his fellow coworkers to hand it to him. Truthfully, that interaction makes complete and total sense. And when one or two people shuffle in for their shift generally the community is accomodating of those requests. Obviously if 10 people ask you for a pencil while you're also trying to work, well, it can get to the best of us. But that is how the social system of Daily Threads is structured on all mTurk forums. Sure, there are pencils hidden around the office (maybe 1 page back, maybe 5, but there's no way to know if you're just walking in) but they aren't right there or considerably easy to access. There is good reason Disney has kept their trash cans no more than 30 feet apart for so long.

This is where the Wiki comes in.

First of all, the Wiki encourages content sharing in a structured environment that makes sense, keeps content at the forefront of the page, and provides a limitless number of ways to "flow" users through content as they learn.

Most importantly, however, is that once that knowledge is properly uploaded and categorized the forum can do the heavy lifting of sending it to new users. You'll see this starting today where "keywords" will now be replaced with links to their associated Wiki pages. Now as we all sip coffee and talk about how many Zoltars we're going to PandA, our discussion will naturally link people to topics relevant to learning about what we're discussing in our day to day conversations. This isn't foolproof, some folks will still have questions or request a human touch, but it is a measure of progress we have not yet had in our community since losing JQ. It also isn't fully intuitive, next steps will be to try and identify people's questions before they even ask them and forward them along to the wiki, but this is a good start.

JQ is also a large driving force behind this idea. While CarbonX gave me the concrete solution of a Wiki, I have long pondered how to replicate JQ's seemingly inhuman ability to answer repetitive questions. Obviously a bot can answer a question until hell freezes over, but all of my efforts (TurkBot, for example) fell short on the human element of identifying what was being asked.

If I could find a tactful way to dedicate the Wiki to JQ, I absolutely would, but I'm not very good with that kind of stuff so I'll leave it to someone who was personally attached to the man to make recommendations on that.

Collaboration
    Posts do not offer natural collaboration between users. Only one user can edit a single post (outside of moderators/admins) and has sole control of the post content. This means that while another user may contribute topic relevant information (either on the thread or somewhere else on the forum entirely) that knowledge can only be incorporated by the original poster.

A Wiki is a good step in solving this problem, as even if knowledge is submitted on a thread any user may take that knowledge and incorporate it into the Wiki. This shifts the issue onto how many people are willing to make such knowledge transfers, but at least more opportunities exist.

Wiki Contributors
    Anyone who has been a member of TurkerHub for at least 1 week and has made 3 posts may contribute to the Wiki. I know that is kind of a high barrier to entry since there are some old-school Turkers who may not fit the criteria on our new-school platform, so if its an annoying blockage just send me a DM and I can specially assign access to folks who don't want to wait to contribute. However, I'd like to avoid folks defacing the wiki as visitors should be able to trust that information on the Wiki is accurate and up to date, so please do not use the Wiki for humor or other activities other than sharing knowledge with the community.

As with other areas of the forum, when Wiki contributors hit certain milestones they'll be awarded icons that display on their profile throughout the forum.

Please note it may take an hour or so for you to get edit access to the wiki as the forum is currently parsing through members and adding them in as they pop up in the system.

Contribution Best Practices

Wiki Content should be:
    Clear - Proper grammar, punctuation
    Concise - Brevity is always preferred
    Factual - Long winded anecdotes should be avoided where possible, this is difficult due to the mysterious nature of some mTurk features but do your best
    Formal - Avoid pronouns and "colloquial" text

Wiki Discussion Forum
    I've seen a number of users ask how/where they can contribute their knowledge to the site. The Wiki is hands down the place to do it now. However, I'm sure folks will have questions, want to coordinate on topics, etc and the forum still serves an excellent outlet for that so I've created a subforum specifically for the Wiki and you can find that here. It also includes a quick link to the Wiki bbcode syntax / markup FAQ so users can quickly get accustomed to formatting Wiki content. I've tried to make example pages in a few different areas to get a gist of what a well formatted page should look like, but I'm only one person so I'm sure other folks will come up with even nicer additions to our new knowledge base :)

Have a nice day y'all.
    [​IMG]

PS: Birthday guys/gals will now get a special flair, so feel free to wish them a happy birthday if you see it! :az:

• Like Like x 18
    • Today I Learned Today I Learned x 9
    • Love Love x 8
    • Nom Nom Nom! Nom Nom Nom! x 1
  2. hofrungur

hofrungur Active Turker

Ratings:
    +757
    that wiki's all cool probly most comprehensive article on PREs ever nicely done

edit though it looks like trying to contribute to the wiki is stupidly frustrating you can't preview because title needs moderated you can't add categories but still wiki is cool

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  3. Kadauchi

Kadauchi Administrator Former MTG MotM

Ratings:
    +8,589
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Kadauchi

Kadauchi Administrator Former MTG MotM

Ratings:
    +8,589
    • Like Like x 1
  5. hvnnvr

hvnnvr Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +6,132
    Title: chat with a our guide | PANDA
    Requester: Seth [AVS5XNNUL0RZQ] (Contact)
    TO: [Pay: 3.64] [Fair: 5.00] [Comm: 3.00] [Fast: 5.00] [Reviews: 31] [ToS: 1]
    Description:
    have a meaningful chat of at least 10 turns(turn=back and forth) with my bot that simulates a Pandora world guide
    Time: 30 minutes
    HITs Available: 1
    Reward: $0.75
    Qualifications: NonDisclosure is greater than 0; Location is US;
    HIT exported from Mturk Suite v1.2.1

• Nom Nom Nom! Nom Nom Nom! x 9
  6. laby

laby Survey Slinger Former MTG MotM TurkerView Masters

Ratings:
    +31,309
    You're awesome @ChrisTurk !
    [​IMG]
    :adore:The wiki looks super useful:thumb:

• Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 1
  7. Xandro

Xandro Turker

Ratings:
    +56
    • Like Like x 2
    • Today I Learned Today I Learned x 2
  8. Girl Polar Bear

Girl Polar Bear Queen of the North

Ratings:
    +45,742
    Title: Take a 1-question survey (US-based) | PANDA
    Requester: PickFu [AI2HRFAYYSAW7] (TO)
    TO Ratings:
    [​IMG]
    ☢☢☢☢☢ 4.15 Communicativity
    ☢☢☢☢☢ 4.24 Generosity
    ☢☢☢☢☢ 4.72 Fairness
    ☢☢☢☢☢ 4.78 Promptness
    Number of Reviews: 276
    (Submit a new TO rating for this requester)

Description: Pick the choice that best answers the question.
    Time: 5 minutes
    Hits Available: 2
    Reward: $0.04
    Qualifications: PickFu NDA is 1; Location is US

• Nom Nom Nom! Nom Nom Nom! x 3
  9. Missesdash

Missesdash Survey Slinger Former MTG MotM

Ratings:
    +12,314
    Title: Math Calculations | PANDA
    Requester: TA Research [A2QN52Y15Q9P4S] (Contact)
    TO: [Pay: 4.53] [Fair: 4.30] [Comm: 3.05] [Fast: 4.40] [Reviews: 106] [ToS: 3]
    Description:
    The purpose of this HIT is to test your numeric ability in a variety of multiple choice items across, addition, subtraction, multiplication, decimals, fractions, and exponents. 60 Minute Limit
    Time: 2 hours
    Reward: $15.00
    Qualifications: NEAT NumCal DoesNotExist ; Numbered EqualTo 100; Location EqualTo US;
    HIT posted from Mturk Suite v1.2.1
    posting again since I just grabbed it of HIT Finder and that never happens with high paying surveys. Good morning :)

• Nom Nom Nom! Nom Nom Nom! x 20
  10. Girl Polar Bear

Ratings:
    +45,742
    Same happened. I just grabbed it from yesterday's thread last post even after the thread was closed. Good morning.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ness

Ness Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +9,222
    Title: Answer a short survey | PANDA
    Requester: Dr. S. A. [ANYUEXVVUTFFZ] (TO)
    TO Ratings:
    ★★★★★ 4.00 Communicativity
    ★★★★★ 3.93 Generosity
    ★★★★★ 5.00 Fairness
    ★★★★★ 4.95 Promptness
    Number of Reviews: 30 | TOS Flags: 0
    Submit a new TO review
    Description: You will be asked for your opinions about e-commerce websites.
    Time: 24 hours
    Reward: $0.50
    Qualifications: Total approved HITs is not less than 5000;HIT approval rate (%) is not less than 95;Location is US

• Nom Nom Nom! Nom Nom Nom! x 7
  12. Ness

Ness Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +9,222
    I cant see colors this morning

13. Ness

Ness Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +9,222
    Title: Classify tweets as hate speech or not | PANDA
    Requester: Erika Kirgios [A079940834QDRMBQN6EG4] (TO)
    TO Ratings:
    ★★★★★ 5.00 Communicativity
    ★★★★★ 2.44 Generosity
    ★★★★★ 5.00 Fairness
    ★★★★★ 5.00 Promptness
    Number of Reviews: 10 | TOS Flags: 0
    Submit a new TO review
    Description: Look at a set of tweets (with urls and hashtags excluded) and determine where they fall on a spectrum from empowering to hateful. Some tweets contain offensive or sexual language
    Time: 30 minutes
    Reward: $0.45
    Qualifications: HIT approval rate (%) is greater than 85;Total approved HITs is greater than 5000

• Nom Nom Nom! Nom Nom Nom! x 8
  14. Girl Polar Bear

Ratings:
    +45,742
    I will sleep again till zoltars after that $15 math HIT. No fish for you, you are trying to get them free. No free lunch.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ness

Ness Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +9,222
    Title: Build the target blocks to qualify | PANDA
    Requester: Percy Liang [A29YQT3EEC0ZEC] (TO)
    TO Ratings:
    ★★★★★ 5.00 Communicativity
    ★★★★★ 3.53 Generosity
    ★★★★★ 4.80 Fairness
    ★★★★★ 4.83 Promptness
    Number of Reviews: 42 | TOS Flags: 0
    Submit a new TO review
    Description: build the blocks by teaching the computer English
    Time: 3 hours
    Reward: $4.00
    Qualifications: None

• Nom Nom Nom! Nom Nom Nom! x 11
  16. Ness

Ness Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +9,222
    Hey I got my three fiddy

17. Missesdash

Ratings:
    +12,314
    Title: Word Task and Survey | PANDA
    Requester: Geoffrey Leonardelli [AT42ELXOHSYWL] (Contact)
    TO: [Pay: 3.63] [Fair: 4.24] [Comm: 3.21] [Fast: 4.20] [Reviews: 81] [ToS: 0]
    Description:
    Before initiating this HIT, please go to web site (http://rotman.az1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_9Zxs8wfHjyGRcSF) and see if the HIT is still open. If you are given the initiation code, you can accept the HIT and begin the study. The study takes 15 min.
    Time: 7 hours
    Reward: $1.50
    Qualifications: Total approved HITs GreaterThanOrEqualTo 1000; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 98; Location EqualTo US;
    HIT posted from Mturk Suite v1.2.1

• Nom Nom Nom! Nom Nom Nom! x 10
  18. Girl Polar Bear

Ratings:
    +45,742
    [​IMG]

19. Sunlite

Sunlite Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +7,755
    I just popped in to log out- working on something else right now, but, I saw the Wiki post and thought how great. I have a question though, are we officially allowed by Amazon to use scripts now? So, if we are we can talk about them in Wiki, but nobody will get in trouble from Amazon, right?

20. Missesdash

Ratings:
    +12,314
    The TOS refers to scripts used to complete HITs being against the policy. But it's open for interpretation. Some people interpret it to mean you can't autosubmit.

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.