02/16 - Thirsty Thursday!

Discussion in 'Daily mTurk HITs Threads' started by TissueHime, Feb 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SAJ

SAJ Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +51,479
    Title: Answer a survey about your shopping behaviors. | PANDA
    Requester: Scott Murray [A2F75S45V3RKJF] (Contact)
    TO: This requester currently has no TO reviews. [url=Leave one!
    Description:
    Give us your opinion about the products you would choose and attitudes towards the shopping experience.
    Time: Unable to pull duration
    HITs Available: 1
    Reward: $1.50
    Qualifications: None

This HIT was posted through TurkerHub xPort Script v2.1 • Learn MoreInstall Here
    I think 7 or 8 minutes

• Nom Nom Nom! Nom Nom Nom! x 9
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  2. Yuk

Yuk Zing King

Ratings:
    +5,059
    A good power supply is a name brand one like Corsair or EVGA, usually gold rated as well (more efficient energy usage, saves you on your electric bill), but that's not something to worry about until your computer doesn't turn on, then that'd be the first thing I look at.
    Most pre builts use some off brand piece of crap that will die at some point but hopefully not for at least a couple years

• Like Like x 1
  3. Fullofbooks

Fullofbooks Active Turker

Ratings:
    +1,221
    So, something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NJNDGGA/?tag=thtv0f-20

I thought it was a cord or something. LOL I really am clueless. XD

4. Yuk

Yuk Zing King

Ratings:
    +5,059
    Yup, exactly. You'll want to make sure that it has enough wattage for your new computer. I would assume 850w would be enough but that'd be something to look into.
    Something you could do is keep the power supply it comes with until next black friday/cyber monday deals then pick up a good one for cheap. Surely the one it comes with will survive for at least a year

• Like Like x 1
  5. Randomacts

Randomacts Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +124,073
    I did some google fu and the prebuilt has a 600w Sirtec bronze unit .. Looks like it is mostly okay

That is super overkill. You can likely get something for ~$40 I just don't feel like looking for one right now.

850w is far more then he needs. He could easily use a good 600w or a 700w ect

• Like Like x 1
    • Today I Learned Today I Learned x 1
  6. Fullofbooks

Ratings:
    +1,221
    This particular Stick Stickly is a female. XD But thanks. Good to know. I tend to go overboard. LOL

I am saving all your guys' advice in a notepad. Thanks a lot. I feel more informed with my purchase now. :)

7. Randomacts

Ratings:
    +124,073
    I THINK that the powersupply in it is decent enough for the parts in it right now. It doesn't scream shit anyways. On a side note your computer will likely use around 350watts.. So The PSU isn't undersized.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Fullofbooks

Ratings:
    +1,221
    This is all fascinating. I am only scared with the power supply because you mentioned the slim possibility of it fucking up everything when it dies. O_O I am going to have fun learning how to upgrade this guy and have me a really nice PC.

Welp I have to finally go watch Star Trek. I can't keep pretending I am still making money at almost 4am. :)

Thanks again guys. I had a feeling you would be much techier than me. I took the "buying a laptop for non techie" survey earlier so I know my place. XD

9. Yuk

Yuk Zing King

Ratings:
    +5,059
    I don't have a lot of knowledge when it comes to what can happen when a power supply fails, but it is my understanding that when it dies while the computer is on, the power is cut off like if you had pressed the power button. The only situation it could cause harm to the computer itself is if it explodes or bursts into flames. I could be wrong though :behindsofa:

10. Yuk

Yuk Zing King

Ratings:
    +5,059
    I did a little google search on what can happen cause I was curious
    interesting. Your power supply probably won't do that though

• Like Like x 1
  11. Randomacts

Ratings:
    +124,073
    If you are getting the $929 bundle with the AOC monitor make sure that you use display port to plug into the monitor and enable free sync. (You will need to use the displayport cable or free sync won't work)

Great monitor though :)

*You might need to buy a cable

It doesn't look like a shit enough PSU to burst into flames.. so it should be fine. (I know a decent amount about PSUs)

raidmax PSUs are known for killing computers but this computer's PSU isn't nearly that bad.

Anyways I'm actually going to bed.. .. if anyone needs me ping me.. I'll be back up in 3 hours to do a few hits and then I'll go back to sleep again.. prob.. dunno though.

• Today I Learned Today I Learned x 1
  12. Randomacts

Ratings:
    +124,073
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Klitch

Klitch Well-Known Turker

Ratings:
    +2,135
    I know where I'll be asking questions when I finally get a desktop :wave:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Randomacts

Ratings:
    +124,073
    We still might try and convince you to build a pc instead of buying a prebuilt.. but if we can't there are some options that are decent like this one.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Fullofbooks

Ratings:
    +1,221

*goes over head* display port cable.... haha okay. XD Good to know.

16. Klitch

Klitch Well-Known Turker

Ratings:
    +2,135
    Is it ever preferable to buy a decent pre-built, then just upgrade parts as needed? I'd love to build my own honestly, but whatever gets me the most bang for my buck (and keeps me from fucking things up too much)

17. jdzane

jdzane Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +8,650
    ...weird, this seems to be the same but I'm not getting the "thanks you can only do this once" message....I feel like I should submit and message him to let him know it's broken? How reject happy is he?

edit: nvm this is newish...

18. Yuk

Yuk Zing King

Ratings:
    +5,059
    I would say it's much easier to upgrade parts in a desktop you've built yourself, because you get to pick out how large the case is and how big your motherboard is accordingly, based on your needs and wants. Those 2 things will determine what and how much you can add onto your computer. When you buy a prebuilt you don't have control over those 2 initial decisions

19. Randomacts

Ratings:
    +124,073
    technically prebuilt can be cheaper... but you have to deal with quality issues.. I would always suggest building it yourself if you are willing to. Building is pretty easy anyways so I wouldn't worry about fucking stuff up as long as you have people check that your parts will work together. :)

(I was going to sleep but then something hilarious happened with my brother and his gf that I won't get into... I'll go to sleep now)

Display port is an open standard video connection. Basically it is similar to HDMI only it does a lot more.

Mac's thunderbolt port (an intel standard) is actually a displayport with some extra stuff in it.

20. Randomacts

Ratings:
    +124,073
    • Nom Nom Nom! Nom Nom Nom! x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.