12/30 - Frisky Friday!

Discussion in 'Daily mTurk HITs Threads' started by TissueHime, Dec 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hummingbirdee

Hummingbirdee Big Bird

Ratings:
    +115,701
    still getting website evals here!

• Like Like x 1
  2. GRR

GRR Active Turker

Ratings:
    +287

negative...I have done 14 and have more to go..the batch was posted at 20 hits and I got them all...so 8 bucks..I was thinking I got 25 when I said 10 bucks

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ana*

Ana* H&R Blockhead

Ratings:
    +27,162
    with some health issues preventing the sort of work to put together, a custom self-build isnt much of an option really

4. Anath614

Anath614 Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +1,658
    Ok folks..... I have to head out to the bank and will be gone for about 30 minutes...expect a flood of batches

5. TurkedOut

TurkedOut Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +14,450
    Wow never knew that, I was under the impression the cap at 10. Mine have done that the last few days.

6. Ana*

Ana* H&R Blockhead

Ratings:
    +27,162
    Hey anyone's OW TTS not working?

7. Randomacts

Randomacts Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +124,073
    I built my current computer for $1000 in 2011 with a i5 2500k/gtx 560ti 8gig of ddr3 and I have only done small upgrades to ram and got a SSD for awhile and then just a few weeks ago I bought a new GPU for $170 (rx480) and it works perfectly.

I'll actually be building a new computer soon around that same budget and turning this one into a HTPC/server.

Ah that sucks. I'll see if I can see any non shit prebuitls (looks like there was a decent deal at bestbuy on one yesterday but that sale is over by now)

I've had that issue before and I had to reboot my comptuer to fix it.

8. B1LLYBLANCO

B1LLYBLANCO Well-Known Turker

Ratings:
    +819
    It was quite a surprise when I took the dogs out this morning. Wasnt cold at all last night, then bam rain and cold

• Like Like x 1
  9. GRR

GRR Active Turker

Ratings:
    +287
    I don't think I have ever got more than ten before today

10. Ana*

Ana* H&R Blockhead

Ratings:
    +27,162
    Okay, thank you for checking for me.

Will reboot after Zoltars i guess then.

11. Jagdpanzer

Jagdpanzer Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +3,443
    z websucks still dropping

12. deansep

deansep Well-Known Turker

Ratings:
    +586
    I'm still working my way through the thread but it will be cheaper to build your own tower if you go that route. As stated many of us here can help plus there is pcpartpicker.com

If you go the laptop route, get a touchscreen. I have yet to plug in a mouse anymore and doing surveys isn't too bad either when your just tapping and scrolling on the screen.

13. Randomacts

Ratings:
    +124,073
    It looks like ncixus offers building/ship service for $50 http://www.ncixus.com/products/?sku=7842

That might be a good option for you if you can't build it and you don't have a friend or something to help you.

14. ChrisTurk

ChrisTurk Administrator

Ratings:
    +162,927
    I know reddit catches flak in the mTurk community, but the buildapc (and its children) are nothing short of fantastic.

https://www.reddit.com/r/suggestapc/

That looks like one of the many BaPC offshoots, and given that you can't build I'd honestly try there.

I tried searching for "work" and "browsing" and it came up with some decent results, though some of the results are too old.. but yeah I think that place is going to be the best resource to find something all things considered..

If you have a friend/family member who might be able to build you a PC for a case of beer or something I'd totally recommend calling in the favor for it.. You can build something fantastic for turk/browsing on $300-$400 since you don't need it for gaming. Just because your budget is $500 doesn't mean you necessarily have to go that high :p people always forget that lol.

Anyway, decent threads w/ links to buy + some explanation of logic:

I actually like this recommendation for you tbh: https://www.phaetonpcs.com/the-browser/the-browser

The RAM is kind of low, but I believe that MoBo has 2 slots so you could push it to 8GB for <$50 pretty easily. That company seems to be responsive (I guess the owner is the one who posted it to reddit?) so check out the thread and maybe even ask if they can add the extra RAM to that build before shipping, I'd bet $ they'd be willing to work with you. Alternatively, this one is $525 and can actually play steam games and such.

But the big thing is it has an SSD, which is where you're going to see the most "real-world" improvement in your day-to-day life.

Not sure if you also need keyboard/mouse/monitor, but those wont be included with a PC tower in most cases.

If you want to keep looking try "work" "family" "browsing" as keywords and limit it to either last week or last month so links aren't broken/outdated.

Disclaimer: I know, building is better, prebuilts are all bloatware loaded trash, blah blah blah. But these aren't awful options and they suit her needs.

• Like Like x 2
    • Today I Learned Today I Learned x 2
    • Love Love x 2
  15. WishATurkerWould

WishATurkerWould Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +8,800
    Facing a morning queue of Wills like
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 2
  16. turks24

turks24 Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +13,777
    Maybe I'm being an Apple fanboy but assuming you already have peripherals, you can get the base Mac Mini for under $500. As far as a cheaper option that's going to work well out of the box, I assume that would fill the role.

@ChrisTurk and @Randomacts can chime in on the specs. I'm definitely not an expert there. Going to 8 gigs of RAM would put it at $570. There's not an option for SSD on the cheaper model and I have no idea what a fusion drive is.

http://www.apple.com/us-hed/shop/buy-mac/mac-mini?product=MGEM2LL/A&step=config#

• Like Like x 1
  17. Randomacts

Ratings:
    +124,073

Yeah for an office computer you only really need a CPU+Motherboard+SSD+PSU+Windows

for giggles here is a half build that I threw together that would prob work..

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($109.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: MSI H110M PRO-VD PLUS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($46.88 @ OutletPC)
    Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($41.99 @ Jet)
    Storage: Crucial BX200 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ B&H)
    Case: Fractal Design Core 1100 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($29.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: EVGA 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($37.89 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $326.73
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-30 09:46 EST-0500

You would need to add $100 for windows and you could spend a bit more on a few parts to be a bit better but I threw this together in a few min.

Gross that thing is super overpriced.. How the hell does apple sell a computer for that much money with those low of a specs and still not have a SSD?

18. Toxic

Toxic Active Turker

Ratings:
    +358
    Yay for getting a link in a Z that I really do not want to click...

19. Hummingbirdee

Hummingbirdee Big Bird

Ratings:
    +115,701
    Do tell...:eyebrows:

20. TurkedOut

TurkedOut Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +14,450
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.