Bonus Structure

Discussion in 'Requesters' started by Robert, Jun 17, 2017.

?

Would you prefer a smaller per image bonuses, or larger batched bonuses?

1. Per image bonus (eg. $.02 per positive smoke ID)

36.8%
  2. Per batch image (eg. $10 per 1000 - 2000 correct image ID)

63.2%
  1. Robert

Robert Hummingbird Watch

Ratings:
    +310
    Hey guys,

We're working on developing our pay structure and one of the things that makes sense to us is the idea of including a bonus when fires are detected.

It's a big deal to find a smoke. Early detection plays an incredible role in successful fire suppression which in turn has a profound impact on the environment, communities, and individuals that fire affects. Providing bonuses to people that find them, makes sense.

However, we're struggling a little. We're worried about people gaming the system. Most of the time there won't be smoke and so it will be really easy for people to fly through our hotkeys. Even the most honest workers (like @rater9 ), after two months of not ever seeing a smoke, might grow a little weary and pay less attention than they were at the beginning of the trial.

So to combat this, our plan is to litter our data set with fake smokes. Every now and then, to make sure people are keeping their eyes open, we'll place a false smoke in the HIT. It will either be from an existing data or an image that's photo shopped. But this creates a problem if we want to provide bonuses, we want to provide bonuses for real smoke, not fake ones.

So, we have two solutions and your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

1) We provide a small bonus every time smoke is correctly identified. So if each image is $ .01 , then a positive smoke ID might be $ .02 (Initially we were going to provide $.10 - .15 bonuses for positive smoke IDs, but now, with a plan to have a lot more, that's not really feasible).

2) We provide a $10 bonus once a Turker has successfully analysed something like 1000 - 2000 consecutive Hummingbird images (these numbers are made up right now, I have to figure out the actual numbers). This option is my preference. It will be a higher bonus, encourage people to be accurate in every photo whether or not there is smoke.

I've created a poll below.

We really appreciate your feedback. If there are alternatives, let us know!

R

Edit 1: The poll is actually above this post.

Edit 2: Also, if you haven't had a chance, check out hummingbird.watch for our HIT preview

Edit 3: It might be too late to gain any traction - but you will still get paid for every HIT. The bonus is on top of that!

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  2. largeeyes

largeeyes Active Turker

Ratings:
    +254
    Absolutely do not bonus positive smoke ids. You are just asking for way too many false positives.

On the other hand, you certainly want to be biased towards false positives and not false negatives.

3. Robert

Robert Hummingbird Watch

Ratings:
    +310
    Just to clarify, individual $.02 per image would be rare. I'm guessing right now, but maybe one out of every 20 images. Whereas if you banked and were rewarded something like $10 after 1000 images, you would actually be doubling the income from each correctly ID image.

4. Robert

Robert Hummingbird Watch

Ratings:
    +310
    We actually don't mind false positives. We are far, far more worried about missing true positives.

Edit: Within reason of course, we don't want false positives in every HIT. Definitely worth considering.

• Like Like x 2
  5. largeeyes

largeeyes Active Turker

Ratings:
    +254
    Obviously we would be biased to more mula. However, I would think the number of people that hit 1000 images would be relatively few. My point was and is, the first bonus structure will biasse your results towards positives.

6. Robert

Robert Hummingbird Watch

Ratings:
    +310
    Agreed. Our conversations internally have focused a lot on the potential of people becoming "bored" with the tasks.

7. largeeyes

largeeyes Active Turker

Ratings:
    +254
    Turkers have mastered the art of being bored and doing tasks.....My understanding is they will only be posted every 5-15 minutes, so you will have people running PANDAs to catch them. This isn't like GeoHive or something where you are literally staring at 1000s of images in a few hours.

8. Robert

Robert Hummingbird Watch

Ratings:
    +310
    Haha, fair. Yea, so HITs will be posted every five minutes, each HIT (initially) will consist of 5 images and each image will be worth $.01

Edit: So maybe 1 image every 4 or 5 HITs will have a smoke in it.

9. Robert

Robert Hummingbird Watch

Ratings:
    +310
    So with option 1, you would be earning a bonus at maybe a ratio of 1 / 25

Whereas option 2, your bonus would be closer to a 1 / 2 or 1 / 1 ratio. It just wouldn't be immediate.

10. largeeyes

largeeyes Active Turker

Ratings:
    +254
    I also doubt the same people will be doing every hit. Not sure how many samples you will take, but if 20 people are running a panda and you only post for 3-5, one person may only do the hit 2-3x an hour.

11. largeeyes

largeeyes Active Turker

Ratings:
    +254
    I see boredom not being an issue here. 5 images every 5 minutes is nothing. If you have a worker account, look at the DGIS post now. Batch of 2000 HITS, each having 50 images. I mean, there you have to wonder if people don't enter a trance. I'd be curious what their data quality is at the end of a batch vs the beginning.

12. Robert

Robert Hummingbird Watch

Ratings:
    +310
    Yea, but that kind of works both ways. It will also drastically reduce the probability of finding a smoke if it's a per image thing.

Your picture is hilarious by the way

13. Robert

Robert Hummingbird Watch

Ratings:
    +310
    That's one of our concerns. High quality image analysis is incredibly important here.

14. Robert

Robert Hummingbird Watch

Ratings:
    +310
    Haha, the poll is indicating that I'm not doing a great job of selling option 2.

• LOL LOL x 1
  15. gurlondrums

gurlondrums Cracker of the Step Whip

Ratings:
    +76,023
    Well, just popping in to say I'm excited to do some work for you, @Robert . I think the first option might be easier for people to swallow because it's a quicker incentive than waiting til 1000-2000 are done. But you also have people that like to wait for periods of time for more money. We do those kinda "$5 now, or $10 in 2 weeks" surveys all the time.

Boredom for me is not an issue. When a batch or series of HITs start to bore me, I stop doing them. Also, I would think that would not factor into these type of HITs because going in, I'm aware that I'm helping people do an important job. But that's just me.

Hope you get all figured out and start posting lots soon. :D

16. Robert

Robert Hummingbird Watch

Ratings:
    +310
    Thanks @gurlondrums

We're excited to get things rolling too.

I wonder, have I done a good job explaining that bonuses are on-top of regular payment? People will still get paid immediately.

17. gurlondrums

gurlondrums Cracker of the Step Whip

Ratings:
    +76,023
    Okay, maybe I misunderstood #2 then, sorry. :p

I think turkers will be happy with bonuses, whichever way you do it. :D

• Like Like x 1
  18. Robert

Robert Hummingbird Watch

Ratings:
    +310
    :emoji_yum:

• LOL LOL x 1
  19. Robert

Robert Hummingbird Watch

Ratings:
    +310
    We're also now at a 50/50 split in the poll. We'll have to see what replies look like over the course of the week.

• Like Like x 1
  20. NBadger

NBadger Mod of Cat Gifs

Ratings:
    +40,241
    Cast the tie-breaking vote right there. *cackles* I feel powerful now.

[​IMG]

imo, Bonusing for found smoke is just too dangerous because people will absolutely try to game that system (also as I understand it that will happen rarely, so it's also not much of a bonus for good workers). $10 for 1000 is nice, but a lot of workers like me are unlikely to manage to get all the way to 1K in one batch. Maybe something that seems more reachable like $5 for every 500 hits, with the stipulation that a significantly high percentage need to be correct (Geohives uses an accuracy rate of 80% or greater, but in your case you might want to go 90% or higher depending on what you think is fair). This would have the same rate as your $10 for 1000 bonus without seeming too out of reach :dunno:

• Like Like x 1
    • Today I Learned Today I Learned x 1