[Please Help!] Browser error with MTurk

Discussion in 'Help & Guides' started by CamiTurk, Mar 1, 2022.

1. CamiTurk

CamiTurk New Turker

Ratings:
    +2
    Good morning. I am getting an error when logging into Mturk:

You must update your browser to continue.
    Amazon Mechanical Turk no longer supports legacy versions of Microsoft Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge browsers. Please update your browser to the latest version. More information about this change is available on the MTurk blog.

Thing is, my browsers are updated and I'm getting it in Chrome, Firefox, and Edge. The only one I never get it on is my phone (Safari). I'm not an IT professional or anything, so the only thing I can think of is my anti virus/firewall but even when I turn those extensions off I'm getting it and don't know what else I can do. Any ideas would be appreciated.

2. j0sh83

j0sh83 Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +8,171
    Weird that you are getting it across three browsers. I was going to ask if you had tried uninstalling and reinstalling one of the three just to see if that fixes it, but it appears that maybe you need to run a Windows update. Are you using Windows 7?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/announcements/transport-layer-security-1x-disablement

• Like Like x 1
  3. CamiTurk

CamiTurk New Turker

Ratings:
    +2
    Yes, I've tried uninstalling one of them and have made sure they are all most up to date versions. I don't understand why it would affect all three either, other than something on the computer (such as anti virus), since I use these solely on laptop. Also, I don't have mturk pulled up on all three at a time. Usually 2 of them but only because of this error. It can be spotty. For instance, sometimes if it comes up on Chrome, I can log in on Firefox and it's fine. Then it will switch - not working on Firefox but ok on Chrome. Add Edge into the mix and I can sometimes get a decent work day. Today none are working at all. I am using Windows 11.

4. j0sh83

j0sh83 Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +8,171
    I feel that it is your machine, as that link they gave you points to TLS and that appears to be machine related, but I am not a tech person either. If it were anti-virus, I think we would be seeing more people reporting the same, or similar issues.

I found this article and checked my own settings which seemed to mirror. Perhaps you could check your TLS setting and see if they are set correct.

https://www.itexperience.net/fix-edge-error-cant-connect-securely-page/

If everything looks correct, maybe your next step is to message Mturk. Perhaps they have some insight. You could also hit up the Windows forums. Perhaps there is an obscure update you missed, or one that is corrupted causing all of these issues.

• Like Like x 1
  5. CamiTurk

CamiTurk New Turker

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the ideas. That didn't work either, unfortunately. I did message Mturk a few weeks ago. They said it was legacy browser and I couldn't seem to convince them that I HAD updated ALL my browsers. I could probably get more in depth with them about it and may end up circling back around to them. Was hoping I could figure it out on my own but am giving up hope there, obviously. I will take a shot at the Windows forums first. Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

• Like Like x 1