[Please Help!] (Chrome) waiting for available socket.

Discussion in 'Help & Guides' started by Intellectual, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Intellectual

Intellectual Turker

Ratings:
    +173
    So, I just purchased a new laptop, and it's wonderful for turking, minus one thing. Whenever I load more than about 6 pandas at the same time chrome gives me a waiting for available socket error. I've never had this issue with my previous laptop, nor my desktop. From all my googling I have found that while I can clear the socket pool by going to chrome://net-internals and then under the sockets tab using the flush command, this issue re-occurs in a matter of seconds. I have all the same settings on my browser and the auto refresher across all devices. Any idea's?

Old laptop
    AMD a4-6210
    4GB RAM (DDR 3)
    500 GB HDD
    Win 10

New laptop
    Intel Core i5 6200u
    8GB RAM (DDR3)
    1TB HHD
    Win 10

(as you can see it shouldn't be a hardware issue)

2. ChrisTurk

ChrisTurk Administrator

Ratings:
    +162,927
    What extension/script are you using to refresh the pandas? I've honestly never seen someone come across this problem :eek:

3. Intellectual

Intellectual Turker

Ratings:
    +173
    Auto Refresh Plus typically, but after the issues I also tried using, easy auto refresh, both had the same issue.

4. Intellectual

Intellectual Turker

Ratings:
    +173
    As an aside, all the googling has now resulted in my finding that chrome allows only 6 concurrent connections to the same domain, but doesn't explain why it works on all the other devices.

5. ChrisTurk

ChrisTurk Administrator

Ratings:
    +162,927
    What version of Chrome are you running?

Have you tried one of the scripts like TM/Panda Crazy to do it through? I haven't used an auto-refresh extension in a long time though unsure why that'd make a huge difference.. Are you just auto-refreshing more than 6 tabs or just a single tab and its giving that error after 6 tries?

6. Intellectual

Intellectual Turker

Ratings:
    +173
    I haven't ever tried one of the scripts for it, Just always used an extension and then TM to notify me on postings. It's when auto-refreshing more than 6 tabs.. the number of times the tabs refresh doesn't seem to have an effect.

7. ChrisTurk

ChrisTurk Administrator

Ratings:
    +162,927
    Tbh, I'm at an absolute loss for an explanation.. I'm currently using Auto Refresh Plus on 12 tabs at 5sec each and no such error that I can see.

With that said, I have no idea how you manage to Turk like this haha.. I have a gaming PC and this lags the mess out of my browser and is definitely not the most optimal way to panda HITs. I'd really advise investing the time to learn how to use TM or PC to do this instead of the extension, but either way sorry I can't be more help :( I can't manage to replicate the error on my machine with the setup described earlier and no where I've searched has brought up this issue in relation to Turking.. Seems like you're an unlucky first :emoji_disappointed_relieved:

8. Intellectual

Intellectual Turker

Ratings:
    +173
    I'll give using TM or PC a shot. :) I appreciate you taking the time to attempt to replicate the situation.