Hit results number

Discussion in 'Help & Guides' started by wolfpudding, Aug 21, 2021.

1. wolfpudding

wolfpudding New Turker

Ratings:
    +8
    Hi I am super new and have only done this a few weeks. I use the regular mturk page for finding hits and usually have about 120 or less in my list of qualified results.

My questions is if that is a typical number of results to choose from? Are all available, qualified hits going to show up there or do I need to run scripts to find ones I am not seeing?

I have Mturksuite and panda but I do not use them find/catch hits as of now since my results page is so short to begin with, I do not see the reason- please let me know if I am missing something! Thank you for your help!

2. Ornac

Ornac Survey Slinger TurkerView Masters

Ratings:
    +11,092
    Most of the hits that people want to do are going to go fast so you won't generally see them if you just look on the main mturk page. You're going to want to use the finder in MTS as that refreshes about once a second. I think you'll find you're seeing a lot more hits that way. Then get the things you want on a panda in Catcher. There is quite a bit of competition for hits so you're really going to have to take advantage of the scripts to be successful.

It's important to not Panda too many things at once or you won't catch anything. What happens there is you get to request a hit from Amazon about once a second. So when you have multiple Pandas, it is cycling through them trying each in turn. So 3 Pandas=try each once a second and cycle back to the first one on the 4th second. How many is too many is debatable, but 2-5 is a good number. Paying attention to hit timers can help you decide how long to leave things up as you might catch hits if they expire or on returns.

Another factor is if you are new, you may not have many hits available. A lot of requesters have a threshold of number of hits completed before you can qualify for their hits. Qualifications are also a thing and you generally want to do any quals available to you. This is a good page to look at for that: https://turkerview.com/qualifeye/

It's also summer and if you are looking for surveys it is the slow time of the year for that. Things there will pick up a bit once schools start.

It can all be a little overwhelming, but doable if you spend the time. You can learn a lot just hanging around the daily thread here and seeing what(work related) things people are talking about.

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2021