1. TurkerHub is now TurkerView Forum!

To better integrate the services & streamline user experience we've moved the forum to TurkerView's domain. From now on you'll only have to log in once across both services and you'll have access to all the features available on what used to be two different websites.

If you notice any bugs please let us know!

Dismiss Notice

[Please Help!] I get depressed when I uncheck "Im qualified to work on"

Discussion in 'Help & Guides' started by Oskiee, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Oskiee

Oskiee New Turker

Ratings:
    +2
    Evening, Im fairly new to turking. I started in october, recently went over 1000 approved, with 13 rejected. I did easy stuff to get to the 1000, but didnt make over $100 on why way there. I just past $100 a few days ago, and am sticking to surveys now. Im taking turking somewhat casual, but still, id like to make some real money out of this. I uncheck "Im qualified to work on" in the filter every once in a while to see what im missing out on, and to see if i can get more quals to work more hits. But i feel like im missing something with so many jobs i could be doing. Im hoping someone here could guide me in opening up more HITs to do...

2. HardWorkingTurker

HardWorkingTurker Well-Known Turker

Ratings:
    +3,297
    First of all, please allow me to offer you a warm welcome to our community. Now, take a deep breath and don't panic. As a fairly new turker, you're certainly not alone. It takes time to get qualified to do HITs. Focus on what you can get to as a new turker. Set a reasonable goal starting from $5, $10, $15 and increase your goal over time as you get better, faster, and build your skill set and qualifications. Don't expect to make $100 or more a day as a new Turker because you don't have the qualifications or experience yet. You can get them by working on your numbers (increasing the number of HITs you've done to 5000 will qualify you to work on more HITs, the same applies to when you reach 10000 HITs). You also will want to keep your approval rating at 99% or higher (preferably) to qualify for more HITs. Rejections will happen, especially if you're careless or if you happen upon a scammy or inexperienced requester. Install and learn to use scripts. TurkerViewJS will allow you to see reviews posted by other workers which will help you pick better HITs to work on and more trustworthy requesters. Take all qualification tests you can take. Don't focus so much on what you aren't qualified to do yet as these are, for the time being, irrelevant. Rather, focus on obtainable qualifications. Constantly thinking the grass is greener on the other side is nothing more than a distraction from your goal, which should be making your own grass green. Practice doing different types of HITs, to see what type of work you're most comfortable with/best at and take note of requesters who pay fairly and post regularly or on certain days. Don't feel like you're doing something wrong. The only mistake a new turker makes is thinking they can be at the same level as an experienced turker overnight and without working as hard and as long as an experienced turker has. You have to be willing to put in the time and effort to learn new skills and keep up with changes. How fast your earnings grow, depends on how much time and effort you put into all of the above and below and more.

If you haven't done so already, I recommend installing and learning to use the following scripts/chrome extension:
    Tampermonkey: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/tampermonkey/dhdgffkkebhmkfjojejmpbldmpobfkfo?hl=en
    Mturk Suite: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/mturk-suite/iglbakfobmoijpbigmlfklckogbefnlf?hl=en-US
    TurkerViewJS: https://turkerview.com/mturk-scripts/1-TurkerViewJS
    ---------------
    JR Mturk Panda Crazy: https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/19168-jr-mturk-panda-crazy
    JR Mturk Panda Crazy Helper: https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/20380-jr-mturk-panda-crazy-helper
    HIT Forker: https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/36368-hit-forker
    ---------------
    Panda Crazy and Forker work best together. Practice using the different scripts to see which ones best suit your work style and needs.

Please note that these scripts are starters but also the main ones you'll find yourself using. There are many other useful scripts and, whether or not you use them, is entirely up to you, your preferences and needs going forward. You will have to have your own experiences and do your own research to know which scripts are most useful to you. You might find this page a good place to start learning about scripts and what they can do:
    https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/by-site/mturk.com

Good luck, happy turking and Happy New Year! :)

• Useful / Informative Useful / Informative x 1
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  3. bluechick

bluechick New Turker

Ratings:
    +1
    I am super new, to all of this. Please sir, what is a Panda?

4. surabi

surabi New Turker

Ratings:
    +2
    Your kind reply is very helpful to all new turkers. Thanks for it...

5. HardWorkingTurker

Ratings:
    +3,297
    PANDA is short for "preview and accept"

You can use HIT catcher -built into MTS- and PANDA Crazy to create PANDAs for HITs you're interested in doing by using the HIT ID.

You can find more information about this by reading about PANDA Crazy or MTS through the links above or you can find tutorials on youtube or check the help section on this site to get more information. There used to be a glossary of terms in the WIKI section of this site but TurkerView recently underwent some changes and it appears to have disappeared. lol

6. HardWorkingTurker

Ratings:
    +3,297
    My pleasure. I'm on vacation so I have some free time. ;)

7. Oskiee

Oskiee New Turker

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the reply. Ive been using MTS mostly, using its panda and finder. Ill be a bit more patient in getting my numbers up. My approval is at 98.84 right now, Im trying to get it to 99. My impatience may be from other places where ive seen people making 200+ a day, and they simply said getting over 1000 goes a long way to improving the money earned. But now its 5k. So yea...

What kind of hits should i be focusing on to improve my skills and profitability? Im doing surveys right now, as the are usually 0.10 or more. But they get really boring after a while.

8. HardWorkingTurker

Ratings:
    +3,297

The HITs you should focus on are entirely up to you, your experience, preferences, skill set and goals. Some people like doing transcription work, some like surveys ,some like batches, some do a bit of everything. I would recommend the latter so you can make up your own mind which HITs you prefer to focus on. I can't recommend the same HITs I work on because they require qualifications you likely don't have yet. Focus on safe requesters, in the green, then orange, use TurkerView to know which is which and read the reviews. Turking is a journey but I can only give you the basics, the rest is up to you.

Most of the questions you want answers to have already been answered. The answers are a few clicks away. All you have to do is look but the help section is the best place to start. :emoji_wink: