MTURK and Puerto Rico

Discussion in 'Help & Guides' started by aco3263, Feb 15, 2018.

1. aco3263

aco3263 New Turker

Ratings:
    +1
    Hello everyone!
    I have searched everywhere on this forum and online and cannot seem to find the answers that I am looking for. I just started Mturk today. I live in Puerto Rico and I have a few questions! There is a grey area living in Puerto Rico. Sometimes we are considered an international location and other times we are not. My questions are, according to Mturk standards, am I in an international location? Can I work on Hits that says in order to qualify I have to be in the US? Also, will I be able to transfer any earnings to my bank account? Or will I only get paid in Amazon gift cards since I may be considered to be in an international location?
    I tried emailing Amazon, but no response.
    Thank you so much I look forward to your responses!

2. Randomacts

Randomacts Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +124,073
    If you have a social security number you prob would be considered inside of the US for as far as mturk cares.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ChrisTurk

ChrisTurk Administrator

Ratings:
    +162,927
    We've had a fair # of folks from PR in the past. IIRC they often qualify for US location HITs, but some third party platforms will screen you out for being outside the US. IIRC you'll see something like Error Code #14 or #15 - that one is for IP outside the US, despite you being in the US as far as mTurk is concerned.

I could be off on this, my memory isn't fantastic. @FedNandlers is one of our PR folks IIRC and may be able to answer this more accurately.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Girl Polar Bear

Girl Polar Bear Queen of the North

Ratings:
    +45,742
    Is the one for IP.

many of the HITs requires location as US as a qualification. What is your location qualification? If US, you can accept it and do them as long as Mturk says the otherwise.

5. ChrisTurk

ChrisTurk Administrator

Ratings:
    +162,927
    I swear it used to be US-PR, but looking at the Requester dashboard now Puerto Rico is just PR, so he probably can't accept US only HITs.

I have no idea why folks used to get the IP error so often for US location hits now. :/

6. aco3263

aco3263 New Turker

Ratings:
    +1
    Mine says US-PR...

7. ChrisTurk

ChrisTurk Administrator

Ratings:
    +162,927
  8. aco3263

aco3263 New Turker

Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, I think so. It says "qualifications required-US. "your values US-PR". No error code.

9. ChrisTurk

ChrisTurk Administrator

Ratings:
    +162,927
    Then yeah by Amazon's definition you're qualified to work on US HITS :) Like I said some Requesters will screen you out by IP but for the most part you shouldn't have many problems.

• Like Like x 1
  10. aco3263

aco3263 New Turker

Ratings:
    +1
    Great! Thank you everyone for the help!

• Like Like x 1
  11. FedNandlers

FedNandlers Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +2,640
    I think there are two conflicting quals regarding Puerto Rico. US-PR is the qual I have but there is also PR as a qualification but I don't think it's for Puerto Rico. I had some issues with a requester because of this. The requester had enabled the PR qual but not US-PR. I couldn't do the Hit because of it.

Sent from my R2 Plus using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  12. aco3263

aco3263 New Turker

Ratings:
    +1
    It seems like I have been able to do most of the US type work, but I have not been able to do a few because of my location.