New here and looking to do this full time...?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ckwill, Jan 12, 2019.

1. ckwill

ckwill New Turker

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everybody! My name is Ciel, I'm 30 and I'm a disabled student currently living on government dole. It helps, but it doesn't quite allow me to live the luxurious life of "being able to go out on a date without having to go Dutch" or "affording new clothing" or "groceries without worrying about going over budget for whatever else I need to do in my life", just living my life. Conventional work is hard for me to hold down at the moment, so I'm looking into working from home. 700 hits later, here I am, trying to streamline the whole thing and not get ripped off. I think this might have legs if I'm smart about what I do. I use MTS and just got TurkerView, so these things in conjunction seem to make me a formidable turker but I think I need to do more to be competitive...

So...hi. Please be gentle.

2. Randomacts

Randomacts Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +124,073
    You said that you already have installed MTS but are you using hit finder / hit catcher in it? You really need to use a scraper of some sort (hit finder) and a panda manager of some sort to catch tasks (hit catcher) or you will have a bad time.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ckwill

ckwill New Turker

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I'm using finder and catcher for it. I just feel like I need some more juice.

4. gener

gener Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +11,568
    Welcome! I'm also disabled and doing this as full time income. @Randomacts is correct. Try out Hit Forker and Panda Crazy as a combo. They work together and are better than what's built in to MTS.

The catcher and finder in MTS is fine, but it's built for the masses. If you want more features and tunability then forker/panda crazy is what I'd recommend.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ckwill

ckwill New Turker

Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds fancy! I'll look into it. So you do this full time? How does that work out for you?

6. gener

gener Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +11,568
    I make about $20 a day. There are people here that make MUCH more. I've been doing this about 3 months. After you pass 5k/10k HITs you open up better work. Closed quals are where it's at. I don't have any yet.

7. Randomacts

Ratings:
    +124,073

Hit forker / panda crazy is better imo than hit finder / hit catcher.

Another option while not free https://turkernator.com/ from the mturksuite dev @Kadauchi

I don't use turkernator so I can't speak exactly how well it works but it should be better than the other public scripts.

I make ~$100+/day on week days but you shouldn't expect to make that much right away and most people make closer to what gener makes. I have masters and loads of closed quals but it is possible to do decently here fulltime.

At the same time I'm currently trying to move on from mturk... but it isn't the worst thing in the world.

8. ScottB

ScottB Turker

Ratings:
    +71
    Welcome! This is my third post on the site (the drama on a previous forum has frankly scared me from getting involved again) but I've been an active turker since 2012.

Not sure if you can call me "full time," but this is the fourth year I've taken voluntary furlough days at my "real job" because I've been able to make more turking from home than I did at work. I still go in part time, mainly as a safety net, but turking is my primary source of income. I pay my rent, my car payment, and 90% of my other bills using income from mTurk.

The best advice I can give you:

READ. Browse this forum and follow the daily threads. Learn how to tell good advice from bad advice. There's a lot of bad advice out there, especially on Reddit.

WORK. Do HITs that pay well, and HITs that pay terribly. That's really the only way to know what the difference is, and what tasks work well for you. Also, sometimes pennies rain down on us and somedays it an effing GRIND just to make a few bucks. If you're in it for the long haul you've just gotta put your head down and WORK.

Learn about scripts, like people have been telling you. Many here can remember this, but when I first started turking scripts were like this weird underground thing that was considered cheating the system. Now they've become an integral part of the community. When I learned to embrace this it completely changed the way I work. A good userscript or AHK script can literally turn a terrible looking batch of HITs into a $100+ a day goldmine.

Manage your expectations. It's easy to see people posting daily earnings in the hundreds and get discouraged. Those are people who have put a lot of time and effort into the platform, and you'll get there if you stick with it, but they're often also people with "closed quals" that allow them can work on HITs others can't. Some of these qualifications haven't been offered in literally YEARS. It's all good. There's more money to make out there. Also, as one of those people, it's just as easy to have a $100 day as it is to have a $5 day sometimes. Keep reading, keep working, and keep sticking with it.

Good luck!

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 2
    • Today I Learned Today I Learned x 1
  9. Randomacts

Ratings:
    +124,073
    I'll get the volcano ready. :bolt:

But honestly turkerhub/TV w/e is fairly tame compared to places that I hang out in normally so :dunno:

10. ScottB

ScottB Turker

Ratings:
    +71
    I agree, don't wanna derail the thread but yeah, between losing jqkill and then the complete shitshow that followed with another individual and people turning toxic it just really put me in a bad place. I'm a proud TH/TV lurker tho since it seems all those people have gone away/to other forums.

• Love Love x 1
    • WOW WOW x 1
  11. sarin

sarin Well-Known Turker TurkerView Masters

Ratings:
    +4,286
    I'm using it, and so far it breaks a lot, but it really makes batch work easier. It has a lot of features that I really like (requester panda watchers, multiple tabs you can preload work on), but I'd imagine someone like you wouldn't benefit from it as much as I do

12. Funkyshot

Funkyshot Turker

Ratings:
    +110
    [​IMG] Hi there! I personally use a few scripts I've created myself along with MTS and I average around 40 dollars a day. My best day being 260 dollars or so. I have no special quals and almost have 10k hits. My advice is while you are new is do find a few batches to get over 1k and then 5k completed HITs. Find what scripts work for you. If you cant find one make one. Having two monitors set up also help to keep things organised. You would be surprised how busy you can be doing these hits. There has been times where I had to send back hits as I did not have time to do them.

Just to get an idea of what is possible without having anything fancy. <Been busy the last few days with my other job>

https://ibb.co/bX4GnnS
    [​IMG]

• Today I Learned Today I Learned x 1