PSA for non-US workers - you might not have to use gift card balance anymore soon-ish...?

Discussion in 'Help & Guides' started by Mouse, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Mouse

Mouse New Turker

Ratings:
    +19
    Not sure where else this would fit. Many of you probably already know this because they got this email as well or read the blog post for mturk.
    For those that didn't though, be careful with transferring money to your giftcard balance. Why? Well!

"Greetings from Amazon Mechanical Turk,

Congratulations! You are among a limited number of Workers who have been selected to participate in an Amazon Mechanical Turk (MTurk) earnings disbursement solution through a virtual US bank account feature. Starting today, we will enable the option to disburse your MTurk earnings to a US bank account. If you’d like to continue to disburse your MTurk earnings to your Amazon.com gift card balance, you can ignore the bank account transfer option. If you’d like to try this new feature, follow the steps outlined below:

• Sign into your account at https://worker.mturk.com/
    • Click on the “Dashboard” button on the banner
    • Click the “Earnings” button below the banner
    • Click the “Add a bank account to enable this option” hyperlink to the right of the option that says “Transfer to your bank account” (this option is currently disabled because you haven’t added a bank account yet)
    • If you have an existing US bank account, simply verify that your bank account holder name and your MTurk account name match, and then add your account and routing numbers

As a non-U.S. Worker, you may use any third-party service to get a U.S. bank account. These services help you transfer money from your U.S. bank account to your local bank account. We recommend you do your own research before choosing a third-party service. One example of such a service is Hyperwallet. If you’d like to set up a bank account using Hyperwallet, click the orange “Don’t have a US Bank Account?” dropdown near the bottom of the page, then click the “Set Up Bank Account with Hyperwallet” to get started. HyperWallet is not affiliated with Amazon or Mechanical Turk and separate terms and conditions apply to your use of HyperWallet services.

If you have any questions or are having issues specific to the MTurk experience, please contact us at mturk-worker-support@amazon.com.

If you have any questions about Hyperwallet, please visit their Support Center (https://worker.hyperwallet.com/hw2web/consumer/page/contact.xhtml) of contact them at support@worker.hyperwallet.com.

Thanks again for helping MTurk grow and have a great day!

Sincerely,

The MTurk team"

They seem to be rolling these out incrementally (spotted a reddit post from a couple of months ago about it). Still some transfer fees, but apparently only 0.8% and 0.20 EUR... which is just so much better than what people outside the US had so far.
    Unfortunately, not every country is elligible.
    Only:
    "Australia, Austria, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Czech Republic, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, India, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Malta, Poland, Netherlands, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom."

As for me, I'll ditch the 2 bucks I have as giftcard balance and never look back to those 3 transfer fees and purse bullshit of losing a decent chunk of my earnings.

Hope it helps someone.

• Today I Learned Today I Learned x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Randomacts

Randomacts Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +124,073
    Yeah they have been rolling that out to non US workers for like a year now? Something like that but I honestly don't pay attention to it very much as it doesn't affect me.

Kind of lame that it is a staged rollout of sorts but meh.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mouse

Mouse New Turker

Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks for the clarification / more info, didn't know it's been going on for so long... damn.

4. Masterbah

Masterbah Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +15,296
    First time I saw this was like end of April. Still haven't been invited tho...

5. alexlama

alexlama New Turker

Ratings:
    +1
    If this Amazon Mechanical Turk is still valid, I'd be happy to join it and try it out. Maybe I manage to win something cause I would really love an Amazon gift card. I always try to save up money on everything, so free gift cards are a big yes from me lol. After all, why pay more when a better option is available? I also entered this Amazon giveaway yesterday so I keep my fingers crossed. I just want to get something from Amazon which is quite expensive and I need all the financial support I can get. Wish me luck guys, and good luck to all of you too!!

• WOW WOW x 1