Ready to make the rookie jump from MTS to....

Discussion in 'Help & Guides' started by KittyWarne, Sep 24, 2018.

1. KittyWarne

KittyWarne Turker

Ratings:
    +41
    I'm still so wet behind the ears. MTS was a hurdle for me to understand in the beginning because I THOUGHT I was computer savvy but man.. no way. And there is little out there for YouTube help. Anyway.. I read all your comments about all the other scripts you guys run. I've been super hesitant to explore my next step because there is so much out there. But I'm starting to realize me scraping for $4 a day is a joke and I need to up my game.

If you were me (2 months into turk and enough confidence to ONLY block a requester, use hit finder and hit catcher in MTS) what would be the next script you would try to learn/embrace? In other words, what is the next user-friendly program I need to learn?

My $4 a day is coming from mostly surveys and whatever I can squeeze in when the baby naps, before she wakes up and when the family goes to bed. I'm at about 800 hits and a $155 profit. I need to batch it up and get over the hurdles of being a low number. I read about the A9's and the glory of Noah but I'm not seeing that stuff. So it's me and Ben Peterson checking out dudes all night long. Love ya Ben.

Anyway, if someone has the time and can tell me a good place to start with my next step in this journey to an alpaca farm I would be so grateful.

Little mama is waking up so I'll be back around 1P CST to give it a go!

Have a wonderful day!!

2. Randomacts

Randomacts Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +124,073
    I find that panda crazy + hit forker is better than hit catcher + hit finder so you could try those out I guess.

In general though the extra scripts beyond that are only for specific batches ect

3. KittyWarne

KittyWarne Turker

Ratings:
    +41
    See. I didnt even know that. I'll give those a try. Thank you!

4. ChrisTurk

ChrisTurk Administrator

Ratings:
    +162,927
    There are no more user-friendly programs after this. This is actually the massive strength of MTS is that @Kadauchi has crafted something you can literally just install & go forth with a nice, basic app that does all the things that are required to turk w/o spending 30 hours reading documentation/watching vids/etc haha.
    Tbh at this stage of Turking I'd say you should still be a healthy respectable amount of fearful lol. One bad batch can still nuke your account (you only really have buffer for about 8 rejections which means you're susceptible to "death by scared money" so I'd actually recommend you use still TO. Once you get into the 3-5k approved range its best to start weening off of TO as quickly as possible because it is going ot hide a ton of good work from you, but that's a whole other problem entirely.

So for batches, check TO.

For surveys.. install this: https://turkerview.com/mturk-scripts/1-TurkerViewJS

If the requester has a TV profile, pays well, and has IRB information (a consent form at the beginning of the survey) you can completely disregard TO. Sadly it is filled with idiots & scammers who will report rejections even if they were deserved & it takes too much time/energy to figure out which is which. For surveys the risk is very minor of eating a rejection so long as you complete it properly so there just isn't any point in listening to other people's rejection stories. The same does NOT apply to batches where one bad batch can kill your account lol. For the most part if you complete work properly you'll be fine, but for newbies properly isn't always what the requester is expecting and there are a million nuanced details you have to learn that can't really even be summed up in a post (never do fashion batches, -,- lol)

Anyway, what RA said is true, PC & Forker give you slightly more advanced options but at the cost of an even steeper learning curve and unlike MTS it is MUCH easier to do worse w/ some of the advanced features if you don't yet know how/why they work lol. MTS is very safe, and tbh you could easily quadruple your earnings by mastering the basics of that first & in some ways I recommend it if you're just looking to learn through steps.

A lot of the earnings increase from swapping to Forker/PC would come from your knowledge increase on how to effectively manage pandas that the combo of those two is gonna force onto you. If you're only making $4/day atm then you're still missing that knowledge even w/ MTS.

That's.. complicated, but in MTS is safer to experiment (IMO) since there is less thrown at you all at once. The basics off the top of my head are:
    • Keep your active catcher instances/pandas to 3-5 to start out. Keep Ben P's on all the time, but the other 2-3 slots should go to high value surveys that have posted recently that you want to catch.
    • Delete surveys after running them for ~1hr and add a new recent one to the mix. You can even do this sooner if you want, but always be cultivating/pruning your catcher cycles. The advanced version of this is timing the expiration of the HITs based on their duration timer but that is a lot of work & may be confusing/difficult to start out.
    • Use down time to start learning the advanced scripts if you want, Forker is an older version of Finder in a lot of ways so most of your knowledge will transition fine there, but this will help for PC: http://pandacrazy.allbyjohn.com/
    Understand there is a TON of missing knowledge/tips/tricks from my post simply because putting it all down at once would take me months lol.
    Is this like a metaphor or something? Or do you own an actual alpaca farm and if so.. why are there no pictures of alpacas attached to this post? Also.. just.. what? why? how? what even is an alpaca I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS LOL :flail:

Hi, welcome, glad you joined the 'Hub :ba:

• Today I Learned Today I Learned x 4
    • LOL LOL x 1
  5. KittyWarne

KittyWarne Turker

Ratings:
    +41
    This is a great start. Thank you so much for taking the time to write it out. I think maybe I should just stick with MTS for the time being and slowly make my way on to the other scripts. I was adding a ton to catcher and it was slowing everything down. I guess I'm hoping another BP type hit will come to me at some point. But it is really all about staying on top of the program and keeping your eyes peeled. This forum alone is a gold mine of information.

The alpaca farm is a reference to my hopes/dreams. Alpacas are awesome and hypoallergenic! I hope to have at least 3 some day. Bowie will be the leader and Mork and Mindy will make me an alpaca grandma one day lol. Thanks again. Time to start chipping away at my goal :)

6. ChrisTurk

ChrisTurk Administrator

Ratings:
    +162,927
    There are a ton of HITs like that, I refer to them as "Trickle Pandas" since they trickle in all day lol.. Dsys Mturk, Upshow Inc, Ibotta's 1 penny same receipt, and a ton of others exist.. you can keep an eye out for 'em on scraper & give 'em a whirl. They're not gonna make you a ton of money during the day but they're usually fun lol
    This.. is amazing lol. MTurk draws all kinds/sorts of people for a million different reasons/goals, but this is by far the most awesome one I've heard in my time doing it LOL.
    [​IMG]

7. KittyWarne

KittyWarne Turker

Ratings:
    +41
    I LOVE THEM! Fun fact, September 29th starts NATIONAL ALPACA DAYS!!!!!!

• LOL LOL x 1
  8. Razr

Razr Jive Turkey

Ratings:
    +2,723
    Goodnight! :emoji_sleeping:

[​IMG]