Remember to create backups and save those backups in multiple locations

Discussion in 'mTurk Scripts & Resources' started by deansep, Nov 23, 2016.

1. deansep

deansep Well-Known Turker

Ratings:
    +586
    Remember to take time and save all your scripts you have installed, backup your database, save any hit monitor/pandas too. Go ahead and back it ALL up and keep a copy somewhere other than the computers hard drive. Thumb drives or even a file storage service like Google Drive or Dropbox (both free services) are suitable and easy to keep a backup on. Most turkers seem to like to do backups and save everything on Sundays as it is usually a slow day but once a week is generally recommended by most.

Why do you want to save everything you may ask? Well what happens when your computer dies, breaks, something spills on it, or your hard drive gets old and dies? You will lose all your precious scripts, databases, etc and will spend countless hours trying to rearrange, reinstall, and search for everything that you used to use. With a properly saved backup, even if the hard drive itself dies you will have a copy you can download and import back saving you a lot of time and headache. Plus that database is invaluable and can help save you rejections by tracking what you have done previously and what you haven't.

TLDR: Play it safe. Keep weekly backups and keep a copy in another location. Things happen. Be prepared.

• Like Like x 2
    • Today I Learned Today I Learned x 2
  2. RicanGuy86

RicanGuy86 Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +9,138
    Especially if you intend to delete anything cookie related. AA data, among other types of data, are cookie related.

3. Celtic Lady

Celtic Lady Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +5,319
    Personally, I save the backups on my PC, an external drive and on Google Drive. I like redundancy and to be able to get to it from any device I might be using to turk on at the moment.

How to backup some commonly used tools/scripts.

For Tampermonkey, open the dashboard by clicking on the icon and then click on dashboard on the left. That will open Tampermonkey in its own tab.
    On the dashboard click on the Utilities tab on the right. Choose the type of export you would like and click the export button associated with the backup you want.

In HitScraper, click on Settings then Utilities and then Export.

TurkMaster, Click the gear and then the three vertical dots next to Export. Copy the entire text that is shown there and save it as a .txt file.

HitDB MKII, Click Create Backup.

Hit Monitor, Click Export. That will save the txt to your clipboard. Paste it to text editor of choice and save it with a name you'll remember.

"Overwatch has an export button that you click and just copy/paste all the requester's you have. I keep mine in OneNote." courtesy of @MatchBox11

"PC:

Select Jobs tab
    Select Export tab
    Select Export To File
    Copy to wherever you are saving." courtesy of @Jagdpanzer

Hit Finder, Click on the Block List/Include List button and then Export.

• Today I Learned Today I Learned x 8
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  4. Jagdpanzer

Jagdpanzer Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +3,443

Also be sure to check out the Help Menu System that is built into PC.

• Like Like x 2
    • Today I Learned Today I Learned x 1
  5. Jagdpanzer

Jagdpanzer Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +3,443
  6. WildFlower

WildFlower Survey Slinger FF Champion II

Ratings:
    +4,950
    Is there a way to backup Hit Catcher?

7. gurlondrums

gurlondrums Cracker of the Step Whip

Ratings:
    +76,023
    Hey WildFlower, sorry no one responded, going outside the daily thread is scary. I don't believe there is. You can manually copy the group ID's into a notepad or excel file. I have the majority of the pandas that I keep in HC also in Panda Crazy so I have the back ups from PC weekly in case I need them. My HC list has never gone down though.

• Like Like x 1
  8. WildFlower

WildFlower Survey Slinger FF Champion II

Ratings:
    +4,950
    Thanks. I have some backed up in PC and many more in my TM backups since I used that longer, so I guess I'll pull from those if something happens. I've gotten HC into a visual order that I like, so that's especially why I wanted to see if there was a way to back it up, but I'll make sure to add anything I want to keep to PC just in case.