[Solved] Unblock "invisible" Requesters/HITs on MTS block list?

Discussion in 'Help & Guides' started by Lemon Lime, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime New Turker

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

I'm not new to Turking or MTurk Suite, but I've run into an odd issue I can't seem to fix. Maybe someone here has a solution?

I've been using MTS' "block" feature for quite some time, and I've always been able to scroll down my block list to DELETE blocked Requesters and/or blocked HITs without a problem...until now.

I just got the qual for the Carnegie Mellon University023 HITs titled "Find mistakes in summaries of news articles." (ID A1PTNHB4F7VBVG)

For some unknown reason, the several HITs currently available from this Requester with this title are BLOCKED on my main HITs page. (I can see them when I click "Show Blocked.")

Naturally, I wanted to UNBLOCK the Requester/Title/HITs, and headed up to my block list to do so. I carefully scrolled down the list but neither the Requester's name nor the HIT title were up there!

I've tried searching for a solution without any luck, so I'm stumped. I've got all the appropriate quals for these HITs and can panda them. But I just can't seem to remove them from my block list since they don't seem to be anywhere on it. What am I missing? Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance!

2. Ornac

Ornac Survey Slinger TurkerView Masters

Ratings:
    +11,092
    I haven't used finder in MTS in quite a while so I'm just taking a stab at it here. Are you filtering by hits you're qualified to work on. Maybe there's another reason that you aren't qualified and that's why they aren't showing and aren't on the block list. Past that I don't have any ideas.

If that isn't it I've tagged the author, he should be able to help you @Kadauchi

• Like Like x 1
  3. Kadauchi

Kadauchi Administrator Former MTG MotM

Ratings:
    +8,589
    Sounds like you might have a non-strict block that could be blocking those if nothing matches exactly.

4. Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime New Turker

Ratings:
    +2

Thanks for your reply (and the tag). Actually, I wasn't using HIT Finder at the time. I was just checking out the blocked HITs on my main HITs page and happened to notice several from this Requester. I saw I was awarded the qual (yay!), and already had the other two, but I thought it was odd that either the Requester or the HIT Title (or both) would be blocked, since I didn't remember blocking either one. It was even stranger when I couldn't find either one in my block list! (Still can't.) Hmm...

5. Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime New Turker

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi, so what's a "non-strict block"? Fortunately, I was able to accept one of the Carnegie HITs, so no problem there. (Unfortunately, I ended up returning it because a major element halfway through never appeared and I had to message them about it. Grr!)

Anyway, I considered exporting my block list on the outside chance I might find the blocked Requester or HIT Title that way, but nothing happened when I clicked the "Export" button under the list. (Clicking the "Import" button did bring up a dialog box.) Do you have any suggestions short of clearing my entire block list and adding things back? Thanks!

6. brobinson2001

brobinson2001 Well-Known Turker

Ratings:
    +1,941
    So, from what I can tell, they have multiple versions of their HITs, each with a minimum score from whatever qual test they did. Are you filtering with "I'm qualified for" as well? Because if you don't have the minimum score, those'll show up stating you need to qualify for, even if you have a qual from them.

QualExamples.png

And here's showing they've got different minimum requirements
    DiffQualscores.png

If you export, it'll save the list as a .json file to your Downloads (but won't tell you it did). Then you can do a clean install, and import the list from your Download folder.

7. Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime New Turker

Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry for the late reply; I've had a busy week! Thank you for your detailed reply.

Anyway, first, I typically filter for "HITs that I'm qualified for," and the Carnegie HITs do appear...but ONLY when I click the "Show Blocked" toggle button. Doing a search doesn't pull them up.

Second, regarding this specific Carnegie qual, I took their "Identify mistakes in summaries" test a couple of weeks ago and passed with 100% correct. The two HITs they have up right now both say "Qualifications Required - Identify mistakes in summaries is not less than 80," with my value at 100.

As with their HIT that I had to return because it was broken halfway through, both of these current HITs are only visible when I click "show blocked HITs" (in red rows) on the main HIT page. (I wasn't using Finder.)

I've repeatedly clicked the Export Block List button, but can't locate the .json file(s) anywhere on my Mac. (By default, downloads are sent to my desktop, but no dice, and I've repeatedly checked my downloads folder, etc. as well.) At this point, I may just clear out my block list and add things back manually. Not ideal, but I'll do it if I have to. It's just so odd that the Carnegie HITs would be blocked...without being visibly listed by Requester or HIT name.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
  8. Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime New Turker

Ratings:
    +2
    Ha! Just resolved this issue by UNCLICKING the "Block Location: Treat HITs in locations other than your own like blocked HITs" box on the MTS options page!

• Like Like x 1