Yo!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Terrasita, Aug 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terrasita

Terrasita Active Turker

Ratings:
    +562
    Hi all! Lurker here. I started turking (again) about 2 months ago after finding the need to make some sort of income after leaving my full time job to stay at home with my 5.5 month old daughter. I had previously signed up with mturk back in 2011, made a few bucks, and forgot about it. But, of course, necessity is the mother of invention, and so it led me back to mturk. I'm mostly a lurker, but I thought I'd introduce myself in case I feel the urge to post at some point!

• Like Like x 5
  2. GoldGuardian

GoldGuardian Black Order

Ratings:
    +16,743
  3. AMindAtTurk

AMindAtTurk Survey Slinger TurkerView Masters

Ratings:
    +39,565
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to the forum!

4. DikDik

DikDik Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +8,637
    Welcome!

5. Girl Polar Bear

Girl Polar Bear Queen of the North

Ratings:
    +45,742
  6. RicanGuy86

RicanGuy86 Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +9,138
    Well this is the perfect place to hone your turking craft. Visit the daily thread to keep up with things.

Welcome. :)

7. Momof1

Momof1 Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +5,909
    Welcome. It is good that you are staying home. You can't get that time back from newborn to 5. I had to work away from home my daughters 1st 3 and a half year and then from 9 to 16 (I worked from home in between 3 and 9) and regret it because I felt I had missed so much from the 1st word to school parties.. money isn't everything.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  8. ChrisTurk

ChrisTurk Administrator

Ratings:
    +162,927
    Heya! Welcome to TurkerHub :)

9. Terrasita

Terrasita Active Turker

Ratings:
    +562
    :( God-willing, I'm going to try to stay home with her as long as I possibly can. Although I do miss working very, very slightly, I think I'm more suited to self-employment. I'll mturk for a while, but I'm also going to be looking into other avenues for working from home. But we'll see how the future goes. :)

10. Terrasita

Terrasita Active Turker

Ratings:
    +562
    Hi everyone! And thanks for the warm welcome!

11. CorvusSapiens

CorvusSapiens Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +9,895
  12. GreenMachine842

GreenMachine842 Moderator (⌐■_■)

Ratings:
    +13,816
    Welcome the forum!
    [​IMG]

13. ChrisTurk

ChrisTurk Administrator

Ratings:
    +162,927
    We have quite a few stay-at-home parents here, mTurk is great for what it is but yeah its always good to have options. FWIW I know the other "big" sites are Prolific.ac, usertesting.com, & UHRS (I think signups are closed atm?) as far as "mturk-like" sites I see others doing alright on. + stuff like appen/lionbridge which are more traditional employment but from home (taxes, PTO, etc) but I'm less familiar with them.

14. Terrasita

Terrasita Active Turker

Ratings:
    +562
    Thanks for the links! I actually applied to Appen, Lionbridge, and the other one...forget its name right now. I was approved for Appen, but there are no projects available ever. Lionbridge sent me a decline email the day I was scheduled to take their test, lol. I'll check out those other avenues you mentioned, though, for sure. I have been working for a few transcription sites as well, as I found through working on mturk that I love doing transcription (Speechpad, Crowdsurf, and just got approved with Rev).

15. ChrisTurk

ChrisTurk Administrator

Ratings:
    +162,927
    I think Leapforce is the big third one.

IIRC Crowdsurf has their own platform now (for a long time) and they pay higher than on mTurk.. Saw a comment the other day about it:

So might want to hit that up! Also maybe add "Transcribe This" to your requester watch list, they pay a little better than Speechpad IME. Their TO is kind of spotty but people I know who do them have always sworn that as long as you do it correctly they don't have any problems with rejections.

I'm not a huge transcription guy so I don't know all the super special requesters haha but I know there are some very well paid transcription tasks on mTurk if you keep an eye out for the good ones (or buddy up with @jessers who is a bit of a pro lol)

• Like Like x 1
    • Today I Learned Today I Learned x 1
  16. MasterNyborg

MasterNyborg Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +3,236
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to the hub!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Celtic Lady

Celtic Lady Survey Slinger

Ratings: