08/08 - Thickened Thursday!

Discussion in 'Daily mTurk HITs Threads' started by Melting Glacier, Aug 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. angel

angel Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +28,535
    NO don't do this :nono:

wearing gloves shows intent....or so I've heard

don't ask

• LOL LOL x 3
    • Today I Learned Today I Learned x 1
  2. Kayashi

Kayashi Titler

Ratings:
    +14,908
    ok, wear your neighbor's gloves too

• LOL LOL x 2
  3. SunlitSunflower

SunlitSunflower baby head

Ratings:
    +36,431
    Emet Selch Gun.jpg

• LOL LOL x 2
  4. Mecca

Mecca Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +7,499
    The sad thing is, I'm not pissed he was getting high, college kids do that. I'm pissed he was using it and storing it in my fucking house after he was told specifically not do that.

• Like Like x 1
    • WOW WOW x 1
  5. Neven123

Neven123 Well-Known Turker TurkerView Masters

Ratings:
    +7,688
  6. Pronewbi3

Pronewbi3 Survey Slinger TurkerView Masters

Ratings:
    +27,826
    So apparently we are all either psycho or very close to it.

[​IMG]

• LOL LOL x 4
    • WOW WOW x 1
  7. angel

angel Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +28,535
    [​IMG]

• LOL LOL x 7
  8. purply

purply Turker

Ratings:
    +16
    Title: Which Conversational Partner is Better? | PANDA
    Requester: Noah Turk [AHJQF4WEPBEHJ]
    TurkerView: [ $14.37 / hour ]
    Description: Evaluate quality of conversations through comparison. (ID: pairwise_dialogue_eval_1565120286)
    Duration: 10 Min
    Available: 6
    Reward: $0.50
    Qualifications:
    • Location In AU, CA, GB, NZ, US-AL, US-AR, US-DE, US-FL, US-GA, US-IA, US-KS, US-KY, US-LA, US-MD, US-MN, US-MO, US-MS, US-ND, US-NE, US-OK, US-SC, US-SD, US-TN, US-TX, US-VA, US-WV,
    • pairwise_dialogue_eval_1565120286_max_submissions DoesNotExist
    • pairwise_dialogue_block_onboarding_fails DoesNotExist
    [3OEIII5REGSD745ZTTMYMGWT5KEMSP]

9. lapetitebaker

lapetitebaker Survey Slinger TurkerView Masters

Ratings:
    +7,895
    Johnson School BSL [A708YWZMMMGCY] Short survey about grocery shopping(~ 9 minutes) - $0.90 | PANDA

Generous

Unrated

Unrated
    $19.76 / hour
    00:02:44 / completion time
    Pros:
    Cons:
    • Unpaid screener

Qualifications: SurveyGroup [2706] DoesNotExist ; Total approved HITs >= 100; HIT approval rate (%) >= 95; Exc: [2111164845-163537] DoesNotExist ; Location In US;
    To read Johnson School BSL's full profile check out TurkerView!

10. ChrisTurk

ChrisTurk Administrator

Ratings:
    +162,927
    FWIW TV had a 70/30 split last month of "professional" Turkers vs what would probably be deemed as more casual/normal folks. It's probably even closer to parity if you consider full-time workers who don't blaze through things.

One of the more frustrating experiences for the faster workers is this watering down of the userbase (from their POV) and there has been infinite levels of conflict&complaints as those users move into the minority same as excessively slow users feel the pain.

Which is why as TV has matured it's made more of an effort to display compartmentalized groupings of data, and I generally will throw specific concessions to that group of workers because they're representative of what I'd like MTurk to look like for everyone, and I appreciate their cute faces.

& truthfully, I need to find ways to do a lot more for those folks because they're the ones most hurt by lapses in TV's caring for them.. but since they're also the group who tends to be experts on MTurk, it's relatively difficult to actually do that lol. Hard to help someone who can help themselves (& is the cause of this phenomenon).
    Thank you. This is basically the best reply to a question framed only considering one side, with the addendum they are filtered out of aggregate datasets. They're not "deprecated" and will be displayed where appropriate (mostly the website, though given the complex nature of the # of filters on there I KNOW there are bugs w/ that)

It also just tends to happen less for overly fast workers because people going at that pace probably aren't completing the work in good faith to begin with, and have absolutely no reason to contribute to nothing more than a morality based help guide. It's a self solving problem, whereas the inverse group has (as a generalization) different incentives/reasons for 1) completing work at the pace they do and 2) broadcasting that out to a platform that, at its core, "sides" with the idea that low wages should be increased. For them, leaving a review is self-serving (not in a malicious way, I don't believe most intend to do harm to other participants on the platform). They want to be represented, which is why TV only excludes them from worker facing datasets but will still display them on the website for visitors to consume at will & make their own judgement on, because they can do that through that medium.

Also, from a technical perspective, the act of Turking lends itself to more lower-bounds skewed data than upper-bounds. You have to put forth excessive amounts of effort to reach the upper bounds, whereas you just have to pee really bad in the middle of a survey to throw your time into the toilet (ayooo)
    RA is basically the upper threshold benchmark of what I'd let continuously be submitted. There are an equal # of people who take exception to that threshold as those who take exception with the lower bounds threshold. <spider-man-pointing.pixelatedJPEG> & I understand and regularly field arguments from both sides, not a problem since it helps gauge where humans are at with reacting to TV.

But there is no "ground truth" to all this. If someone spends 10 minutes reflecting about their 50 years on the planet during a "do you feel alert/aggressive/depressed/hungry" battery their time is not incorrect. If someone, intending to display that the survey manipulations were utterly ineffective, straightlines that same questionairre in half a second their time is not incorrect. Something both extremes just regularly refuse to accept is that the requesters actually appreciate both of those responses (to a point). Brace yourselves, and take a seat if you use a standing desk, but 99% of us are terrible social scientists! :leftyhyperflail:

• Today I Learned Today I Learned x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 3
    • LOL LOL x 1
  11. Tracy Wethington

Tracy Wethington The Bone Crusher

Ratings:
    +22,085
    [​IMG]

• LOL LOL x 1
    • WOW WOW x 1
  12. ChrisTurk

ChrisTurk Administrator

Ratings:
    +162,927
    hey this belongs to @THFYM not u

• LOL LOL x 3
  13. Randomacts

Randomacts Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +124,073
    @Ten your dad is talking about kicking you out again.

• WOW WOW x 2
    • LOL LOL x 1
  14. sarin

sarin Well-Known Turker TurkerView Masters

Ratings:
    +4,286
    reading hard

• LOL LOL x 1
    • WOW WOW x 1
  15. ChrisTurk

ChrisTurk Administrator

Ratings:
    +162,927
    tl;dr: slow the fuck down, cyborg.

• LOL LOL x 4
    • WOW WOW x 1
  16. Audbal

Audbal Well-Known Turker TurkerView Masters

Ratings:
    +1,279
    New Requester Profile!

Anya Korneyeva [A14IX62ZL35E49] Evaluate the quality of two short speech recognition transcripts - $2.50 | PANDA

Generous

Unrated

Unrated
    $37.19 / hour
    00:04:02 / completion time
    Pros:
    Easy enough, good pay
    Cons:

Qualifications: Location In GB, IN, US; HIT approval rate (%) > 95;
    To read Anya Korneyeva's full profile check out TurkerView!

• Good Review! Good Review! x 4
  17. Pronewbi3

Pronewbi3 Survey Slinger TurkerView Masters

Ratings:
    +27,826
    Another CoColab I can't do...time is meaningless to me now. I can't remember the first one I completed..did I ever complete one? The days and years have blurred together.... there is only before the first CoColab and after.

• LOL LOL x 2
  18. Randomacts

Randomacts Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +124,073
    [​IMG]

• LOL LOL x 3
  19. gener

gener Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +11,568
    I wouldn't uninstall MTS. The Hit Tracker is very useful. Plus the other scripts it includes like workspace expander, etc. Just ignore the finder/catcher and use forker/panda crazy instead for that part. MTS is still useful even if you don't use the finder/catcher built into it.

20. cookiepie

cookiepie Turker

Ratings:
    +32
    CoCoSci Lab at Princeton [A1S8PU3QK4OKG3] Solve anagrams (takes ~5 minutes) - $1.25 | PANDA

Generous

Unrated

Unrated
    $21.13 / hour
    00:03:33 / completion time
    Pros:
    Cons:

Qualifications: Total approved HITs > 100; Masters Exists ; HIT approval rate (%) > 95; Location EqualTo US;
    To read CoCoSci Lab at Princeton's full profile check out TurkerView!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.