Advanced scripting resources?

Discussion in 'mTurk Scripts & Resources' started by Vincent P, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Vincent P

Vincent P Active Turker

Ratings:
    +923
    I've gotten the basics of JQuery down but I'm having trouble learning more about what is possible with it and expanding my knowledge of the language. I have a book on JavaScript and JQuery that I'm working through but it's hard to figure out what's relevant to MTurk.

Until this point I've written a couple basic scripts that make my workflow more efficient, but I'm hitting a wall because I don't have an advanced grasp on the languages. I'm wondering if I really have to start from the beginning and learn everything, or if there are some more specific advanced scripting resources out there. If anybody has something that they don't mind sharing, I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm almost to the point where I'd be willing to pay money for a good resource, considering the potential to increase my earnings that I've observed.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  2. Ornac

Ornac Survey Slinger TurkerView Masters

Ratings:
    +11,092
    You might be beyond this, but I found it pretty helpful for getting started on the basics: https://forum.turkerview.com/threads/learning-to-script-amt-hits.142/

I think jquery goes a long way for most basic scripts you might want for specific hits. You could also think about modifying any public scripts to do something specific.

Beyond that:

maybe check out some of the discussions in this sub forum where people were trying to make scripts they wrote work. Might give you some ideas and help with troubleshooting.

Check out https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/by-site/mturk.com , you can see code for a lot of different scripts there and can get ideas about what's possible and probably learn by following along and understanding how those scripts work. Then tweaking things to your liking as you get more experience.

Also if you get stuck, posting here for help will probably go a long way. I'm pretty novice, but there are people around who can and generally will help with your code.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  3. Vincent P

Vincent P Active Turker

Ratings:
    +923
    Thanks for your reply. Yeah, I've worked through those posts and made a lot of my own scripts. I guess I have been skimping out on looking at other peoples' scripts and trying to learn what they do. I've been meaning to try and make sense of Hit Forker for a while now, it just seems so daunting. I have lots of goals in mind for things I want to do to make my workflow more efficient, I just lack the knowledge required to implement them.

• Like Like x 1