[Please Help!] QBC crashing once reaching day 6 sync

Discussion in 'Help & Guides' started by Yuraino, Oct 7, 2021.

1. Yuraino

Yuraino Well-Known Turker

Ratings:
    +627
    Hi, I've been using the program since March and had no problems until now. All of a sudden today QBC just decides to crash whenever it reaches day 6 on syncing. I've tried restarting my PC, uninstalling and reinstalling multiple times, reinstalling in different locations, updating my PC, etc. and it still crashes. There is no log for this, unfortunately. What could be causing this?

EDIT: It is now crashing on day 7 of 45 sync. So maybe it's something weird going on with my MTurk activity?

I installed it on an older PC that never used MTurk or QBC before, and the crash still happens.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
  2. Sciency McScienceface

Sciency McScienceface Turker

Ratings:
    +227
    I've encountered the same sort of problem. My current work around is to open QBC, quickly go to the Settings page, and then click the big green Refresh button before it reaches day 6 of sync'ing. You'll likely get an error message, but otherwise Queb will work mostly okay. Work Log can't be sync'ed or you'll just crash at Day 6, and it seems like the sync'ing of Qualifications is stuck. Otherwise, Scrapers/Watchers/Pandas/Scripts all work for me.

Mine was crashing at Day 10, but now it's crashing at Day 21... Just need to let another few weeks pass and maybe it won't crash anymore :p

• LOL LOL x 1
    • Today I Learned Today I Learned x 1
  3. Yuraino

Ratings:
    +627
    Thank you, that workaround does well.

4. madcat2k

madcat2k Turker

Ratings:
    +123
    This seems to be introduced with the latest update. Not sure what's going on, but mine was on day 44 of 45 and it STILL crashes at 45 even though it's been days more. This makes sleep mode impossible because it auto tries to sync the whole work log in the early morning at a specific time every morning, so it crashes to desktop before I get up every day from my sleep and there is no work at all in the queue because of it.

5. ChrisTurk

ChrisTurk Administrator

Ratings:
    +162,927
    Sorry (tag me on threads like this @CT works for quick tags haha) but if you guys @Yuraino @Sciency McScienceface @madcat2k ) could go to this page ( https://turkerview.com/admin/qbc/docs/?page=errors ) and follow the windows event viewer steps and DM me the results (name it something like Work Sync) I'm taking a look at it now.

Also if you can correlate which day it's crashing on let me know how many HITs you have done. If it's a reasonable # grabbing the results might help fix it since it's likely just a parsing error from some funky hit title/req name or something like that (explains why it moves back as days go by)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Yuraino

Ratings:
    +627
    Nice, thanks. Will do at the end of the Turkday.

7. madcat2k

madcat2k Turker

Ratings:
    +123
    Not sure if I am doing this right. I went through the event log and this started happening exactly at 10/2/21. Here is the log (it's the same on all of them every day until now at 5:00 AM.

Code:
    Application: Queuebicle.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: System.AccessViolationException
       at System.String.wcslen(Char*)
       at System.String.CtorCharPtr(Char*)
       at <Module>.CefSharp.Internals.CefStringVisitorAdapter.Visit(CefSharp.Internals.CefStringVisitorAdapter*, CefStringBase<CefStringTraitsUTF16>*)

I looked at 10/2 to see if anything was unusual, and I only did 4 hits that day, and on 10/1, I did 192 and none of the hits had anything unusual in the names or special characters. For me the only way to fix it has been to roll back to the previous version and not click the "update" -- it seems to work and not CTD.

8. ChrisTurk

ChrisTurk Administrator

Ratings:
    +162,927
    What version are you on that's stable?

9. ChrisTurk

ChrisTurk Administrator

Ratings:
    +162,927
    Also just to clarify, on the reverted version you can fully sync history and not crash? Just want to make sure I'm understanding 100%

10. madcat2k

madcat2k Turker

Ratings:
    +123
    Yeah it says 1.2.0 (the one before the update you did recently that added more chromium support)

It synced without this error or CTD (full 45 days) with the previous version (1.2.0)

I just upgraded to the latest when it prompted me too, just to test it out, and it crashed at 45 days again, so I have downgraded again to the previous version. I hope that helps in some way.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ChrisTurk

ChrisTurk Administrator

Ratings:
    +162,927
    FWIW this is a known issue w/ the Chromium build, and should be fixed in the newest release so I'm building tonight and will push it out ASAP (probably tomorrow afternoon, usually it's 10-16hrs if no failures).

• Like Like x 1
  12. madcat2k

madcat2k Turker

Ratings:
    +123
    Awesome, good to know! Thanks for fixing it, Chris!

13. ChrisTurk

ChrisTurk Administrator

Ratings:
    +162,927
    @Sciency McScienceface @madcat2k there should be a -pre version available that should fix this. If y'all could patch & test please let me know if it resolves the issue (if you don't see the update reboot the app and/or toss me a DM so I can push you over to pre-release track lol)

14. Sciency McScienceface

Ratings:
    +227
    Just saw the update pop-up, so I'll give it a test now...

• Like Like x 1
  15. Sciency McScienceface

Ratings:
    +227
    @ChrisTurk
    Awesome! It no longer crashes when sync'ing!
    :emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

• Love Love x 1
  16. Yuraino

Ratings:
    +627
    Thank you, all is well now. :emoji_smiley_cat:

• Like Like x 2