Problem with qualifications

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Support' started by Mark Davis, Jul 30, 2022.

1. Mark Davis

Mark Davis New Turker

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi all: Pretty new user here. I have been trying to use qualifications in order to keep people from taking the survey multiple times. After some struggling I thought I had done so. I created a qualification, I assigned a value of "1" to everyone who had completed the HIT, and then tried a new batch with the qualification that they had to have a value "not equal to 1" in order to participate.

The problem: Several hours have passed, and no one has done the HIT. Before the qualification, people did so within minutes. Have I somehow established a qualification that prevents EVERYONE from doing the HIT?

I would be grateful for any advice anyone might suggest.

2. laby

laby Survey Slinger Former MTG MotM TurkerView Masters

Ratings:
    +31,296
    Sorry, I don't know much about the requester side so I don't know how to make quals but this is what I see. So I have to request the qualification in order to get the qual to take the hit.
    upload_2022-7-30_14-26-46.png

3. Mark Davis

Mark Davis New Turker

Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks so much for this response--I don't know much about the worker side! Have you tried requesting qualification? And if so, what happened? I'm not aware of receiving any such requests, but maybe they are coming in and I don't know where to find them. If you have not requested qualification, would you mind doing so in order for me to see what happens. Again, many thanks.

4. rathalos420

rathalos420 Well-Known Turker

Ratings:
    +2,260
    I think you want to use "Already completed this HIT - does not exist" instead of "is not 1." I don't know the exact logic behind it, but for example my qualification level is None, maybe "is not 1" is looking for some other number to compare to.

• Today I Learned Today I Learned x 1
  5. laby

laby Survey Slinger Former MTG MotM TurkerView Masters

Ratings:
    +31,296
    This is what it looks like on the user end when you request a qual
    upload_2022-7-30_14-47-0.png
    So I assume you have to manually click something or have it set up to auto grant the request somehow.

That said, I think most people just leave the filter on so they can see things they are already qualed for so unless they were looking not many people would find it to ask for the qual.

6. WillowWolf

WillowWolf Mischief Managed

Ratings:
    +39,578
    This is a pretty dated post https://blog.mturk.com/new-qualific...er-flexibility-to-qualifications-12cea07cdd2b, but it might give you an idea of how the DoesNotExist qualification works. It does seem as though you have disqualified everyone. It appears to me as though you are essentially granting a qual of 1 to everyone who took your survey, but then disqualified all of them, like telling someone they can have access to the coffee machine, but then sealing it in a safe, so they can't, but no one else can access it either. So, you are really close, it just didn't get executed correctly.

In its current form, the only people that can accept the HIT are people who have been assigned that qualification with any score other than 1.
    Fixing the HIT to say "Already completed this HIT does not exist" should have it function the way you intended.

7. Mark Davis

Mark Davis New Turker

Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks so much for this. After looking high and low for your request, I came across this on a message board:

"Many new users spend time requesting qualifications thinking that a requester will see the request and hopefully grant it. However requesters are never notified of requests. The only way for a requester to see if workers have requested their qualifications is to use the command-line tools or mTurk API, neither of which are user friendly. This makes the practice of requesting qualifications largely fruitless."

I've gotta say, MTurk is not making any of this easy . . .

Again, I can't thank you enough for your help.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mark Davis

Mark Davis New Turker

Ratings:
    +4
    SUCCESS!

Thanks to everyone who responded. The trick was using the "does not exist" comparator. And speaking of "does not exist", that is an excellent description of my chances of figuring this out without your help.

• Love Love x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. sanguchakram

sanguchakram New Turker

Ratings:
    +0
    upload_2022-8-3_12-34-3.png
    i qualifcation the hit but do not accept the work why pls tell i am new person if want can i do pls tell mr

10. Mark Davis

Mark Davis New Turker

Ratings:
    +4
    sanguchakram: This hit is no longer open; I am not collecting new data at the moment.