[Please Help!] Where's the Help for n00bs?!

Discussion in 'Help & Guides' started by Grauenstadt, Feb 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grauenstadt

Grauenstadt New Turker

Ratings:
    +1
    I don't know a thing about API keys, scripting, or any of that tedious making-computers-lame stuff. I don't want to become a bloody hacker just to use a piece of technology! I was expecting there to be a set of extensive sticky guides for us new folk perched at the top of this thread. Please don't tell me this is some sorta tech-snob elite crowd I've stumbled onto here!

• LOL LOL x 1
  2. Buntastic

Buntastic Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +23,740
  3. Buntastic

Buntastic Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +23,740
  4. Buntastic

Buntastic Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +23,740
  5. CorvusSapiens

CorvusSapiens Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +9,895
    I have no idea where you're at in your knowledge or what exactly you're struggling with but here's a basic intro to using scripts that I wrote in another thread.
    https://forum.turkerview.com/posts/636527/

The API key allows scripts to pull information from Turkerview so that those scripts can show you how other workers have rated hits without you needing to come to Turkerview directly.

6. Grauenstadt

Grauenstadt New Turker

Ratings:
    +1
    I've got PLENTY of basic understanding of computers. I build towers for my neighbors, and I can do some intermediate HTML and CSS stuff. What do YOU consider basic?

And, well, computer people need to learn social skills, and the simple fact that information processing is pretty useless if the genius at it can't bring himself to effectively relate that task to others for their edification. In this regard a deli server with only a high school diploma is vastly superior in functional intelligence and life skills to the IT guy with his bachelors and certifications.

7. Grauenstadt

Grauenstadt New Turker

Ratings:
    +1
    What's useful about this video? It only shows you how to do what anyone could figure out; it cuts out right at the part I and most others need to start paying attention. Simply put: what do you do with the API key? Any fool can create an account and click on links!

8. Grauenstadt

Grauenstadt New Turker

Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you for the one useful response (thus far). More computer-savvy types need to be like you.

9. Buntastic

Buntastic Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +23,740
    One, you are rude. You could have simply asked for help, or searched, instead of popping into random threads to insult the entire forum. No one knows what scripts you are or are not using. TVJS script throws one up asking for the key...that the video shows you how to get. Instead of calling us snobs, stop acting like one.

• Love Love x 2
  10. CorvusSapiens

CorvusSapiens Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +9,895
    There are a few scripts and extensions that will use the API key. The main ones are the TurkerviewJS script, the MTS extension, and the Hit Forker script.

TurkerviewJS should prompt you to enter the API key when you first open it after installation (by clicking the TurkerView button that shows up in the top bar on mturk), or you can access it by clicking the gear icon to open the settings.

On MTS you can access it by opening MTS Options and scrolling down to the section labelled "Requester Reviews"

In Hit Forker, you'll need to open Hit Forker and click "Advanced Settings"

There are videos for doing all of this if you go to the TurkerView API page (https://turkerview.com/account/api/ ) and scroll down the the section that says "API Key Script Instructions". Click on the script you're using to see the video for adding the API key.

11. Grauenstadt

Grauenstadt New Turker

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm blunt, and I don't suffer fools with any grace whatsoever. Welcome to the blue-collar service worker mentality. I was just taken aback by how unhelpful this forum is. Even my old anime forum had oodles of sticky threads full of extensive guides, and that was a frivolous thing! My first impression of this site is that it's full of not-very-helpful techies; the same kinda people who stumble ineptly over the social and decisional aspects of being customers at my work.

I just don't know what I'm supposed to do with that API key, is all. I don't even know why anyone would go to the trouble to make a video that does nothing more than tell you what you already know, namely how to set up an online account and how to click on a (I'm assuming javascript) form button. That's akin to making a YouTube video instructing someone how to put his pants on rightways forward! :emoji_rolling_eyes:

12. Grauenstadt

Grauenstadt New Turker

Ratings:
    +1
    If it takes me as long to find the answer and be able to implement it as it does to wade through Ana Karenina, whoever it is that's in the instruction role needs to learn how to relate to people and to relate information better. It's not MY character defect that others are no good at the crucial social side of seeking and transmitting knowledge.

13. Buntastic

Buntastic Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +23,740
    You're not blunt, you're being the social inept Reddit type you want to call us. Most here aren't "computer types" Mr. I Build Desktops. But they can ask a nice question, watch a video, and follow directions. Your question/demand has been answered. Quite in depth, actually. Go forth and click the links. I assume with all your petty commentary that "even a fool can click a link" you got it past that.

14. ChrisTurk

ChrisTurk Administrator

Ratings:
    +162,927
    I've locked this, if you need help setting things up my email is hello@turkerview.com - I'd be glad to walk you through whatever it is you need help with or answer any questions you have.

Coming to blanket insult a bunch of people isn't going to get you results, and frankly it's unnecessary.

• Love Love x 5
    • LOL LOL x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.