View API Details

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by ChrisTurk, Jan 19, 2019.

1. LaVette

LaVette New Turker

Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you!

2. Dr McCoy

Dr McCoy Active Turker

Ratings:
    +826
    I am so confused about what is going on. What is all of this and why do I need it? What happened to Turkopticon?

3. Katlady

Katlady Well-Known Turker

Ratings:
    +2,203
    Was just wondering as I went through threads that I still have two questions:
    -Are the payments set up in Paypal as a subscription, or would we manually make payments? I didn't see anything about how to cancel.
    -We are seeing the full version right now, right? It's hard to know how much it has helped until the full features are gone, but by then we would have to pay the higher price.

4. ChrisTurk

ChrisTurk Administrator

Ratings:
    +162,927
    Nothing is changing w/ TO, any changes you're seeing inside a script are applicable to TV only so you only need to pay attention to them if you use TV's stuff. If you rely on TO you'll be totally unaffected.
    The monthly option is a subscription inside PayPal, the yearly isn't. The subscribe button should swap to a cancel button once the account has a subscription tied to it but it's honestly easier to cancel in PayPal (IME at least) but it should be pretty easy to get to

I think it should be fairly clear if you use TV or not, but depending on the script you're using you may be able to turn it off and get a better idea? It's definitely not a requirement by any means.

5. Dr McCoy

Dr McCoy Active Turker

Ratings:
    +826
    Thank you for your reply. I understand now. I don't use TV because it's so hard for me to catch hits that the hourly rate doesn't mean much to me. But it's nice that you made this for others.

• Like Like x 2
  6. yolkedclickfinger

yolkedclickfinger Active Turker

Ratings:
    +564
    Are we still able to donate? I don't see a donation option anymore. Is that because I have a registered API now?

7. ZK594

ZK594 New Turker

Ratings:
    +2
    Whenever I switch between my 2 computers, I have to re-enter the API key every time. Is this normal? One is a Chromebook and I mainly use Firefox on my other one, which is a PC.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  8. ChrisTurk

ChrisTurk Administrator

Ratings:
    +162,927
    You should only need to enter it once per script. If you're using MTS there were some issues where the settings were getting cleared between patches but that should be settled now. Can you let me know what scripts you're using if the issue persists? Definitely want to get it cleared up so it's not annoying :)

9. yolkedclickfinger

yolkedclickfinger Active Turker

Ratings:
    +564

Well number of hits approved is not an indication of how well someone is doing at Mturk. Just because somebody has 12k doesn't mean they are just raking in the dough hand over foot.

10. ZK594

ZK594 New Turker

Ratings:
    +2
    All is good now, thanks!!

11. MillennialTurk

MillennialTurk Active Turker

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Scroll up and read the rest of my comments, I explained what could be happening before the comment you quoted. If you have worked on and submitted over 12K hits and yet you are not making anymore than $40 a month ($1.33 PER DAY) while using the free version of TV, then something is very very very wrong with what you are doing. Clearly that person isn't using TV, MTS or any other tool out there for Mturk correctly if that's the case. And I offered them to reach out to us so that we can help them make more. He never messaged back so it's quite obvious the guy wasn't serious and was over exaggerating and just being a troll. It's obvious he was just complaining that it will cost him $5 a month now to use all this data and tools that take time and money to make. Again I don't even have 6,000 hits submitted, I have no special qualifications and I can make what he does in 1 month in 1 day on my spare time outside of what I do full time easy. All I use is TV and MTS. Any of you can do this. I wouldn't consider making a simple $20-$40 a day "raking in the dough hand over foot" either. Even that isn't very much money. It's all about being consistent and using the tools properly. Without TV everyone would make less money. That is an undeniable fact. It's also a fact that if you do not use TV properly you also will make less money too. So again if any of you have submitted over 12 Thousand Hits and are making less than $1.33 a day on Mturk... You are doing something wrong and need to reach out to our forum or the many support groups and see what you can do to at least triple those numbers. If I can make $1.50 in 10 minutes then I don't see why anyone wouldn't want to know how if they were serious.

• Like Like x 1
  12. AzCatie

AzCatie Turker

Ratings:
    +8
    Every time I clear my cookies, I get the notice about the API key again. Is that normal for clearing the cookies to be clearing the saved API key info?

13. ChrisTurk

ChrisTurk Administrator

Ratings:
    +162,927
    Which script(s) does it happen in?

14. Eisenpower

Eisenpower Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +11,870
    @ChrisTurk Can you slide into my DMs with that API info, etc?

15. Katlady

Katlady Well-Known Turker

Ratings:
    +2,203
    I signed up a little while ago. I see enough value in it. And you guys work hard to make these things, and paying makes me feel like these little systems and scripts won't be abandoned. Definitely worth more than "exposure":emoji_smile:

Also I did see where to cancel in Paypal when I went to my account. That made me feel better.

• Love Love x 1
  16. Eisenpower

Eisenpower Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +11,870
  17. ZK594

ZK594 New Turker

Ratings:
    +2
    I thought it would be 4.99 if you decide to pay before 3/1? Also, can I manually pay each month and not have it automatically taken?

• Like Like x 2
  18. ChrisTurk

ChrisTurk Administrator

Ratings:
    +162,927
    This should be fixed but please let me know if it isn't or reverts again. Version control overwrites files immediately so when I pushed all the changes for Qualifeye it put the updated changes for the API pages onto live :flail:

• Like Like x 1
  19. ZK594

ZK594 New Turker

Ratings:
    +2
    So can I pay manually each month instead of having it taken out automatically?

20. Greenranger55

Greenranger55 New Turker

Ratings:
    +0
    So, what will Hit Finder look like without they API key. I've been away from Mturk for a while and have never heard of TurkerView.