[Solved] How can I contact workers who started my HIT? [requester]

Discussion in 'Help & Guides' started by SCN_Lab, Jun 6, 2019.

1. SCN_Lab

SCN_Lab A3E907X9FH7DU6

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi everyone. I did something dumb. As I was testing my Qualtrics, I disabled a randomization feature where only 1/4 of possible stimuli are shown to a worker, so that I could test 100% of them rather than just the 1/4 I was randomly assigned. After I pulled the trigger on publishing my MTurk batch, 30 seconds later I realized I hadn't turned that off. That meant that people were going to be spending an hour instead of 15 minutes on my HIT, and that was just unacceptable since the HIT payment would not cover that time (we try and pay everyone greater than minimum wage).

So, I instantly corrected this issue and closed the responses of everyone who had started in the 30 seconds. Basically, this meant that what they'd see would be a refreshed version of the survey, i.e. if they had hit "next" on the consent form, they would just see it again and keep going. No harm, no foul.

However, for a few people it took two or three minutes for Qualtrics to finish closing their survey. This means they may have done some of the HIT, and while I don't feel bad about making someone see the consent form twice (they could just not read it the second time), I do feel bad about not paying someone for work they did. If these people complete my HIT ordinarily, I will be able to use some of Qualtrics's functionality to associate their submitted HIT to the partially completed one. That means I will have their Worker ID and can see "hey, you did 20% of the survey the first time before it seemingly crashed on you, let me give you 20% of the HIT payout as a bonus". But if these people don't complete the HIT, I won't be able to tell who they are.

I am probably stressing out too much but I just want to be a fair requester. I know if I did 20% of a HIT and it crashed I'd be pretty pissed and may not try it again.

TL;DR: Is there a way to contact workers who have started, but not submitted, my HIT? (I know how to contact workers who have submitted.) I need to be able to send a bonus to people who started my HIT but were not able to complete it due to a problem I caused.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Randomacts

Randomacts Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +124,073

Did they enter their mturk ID into the hit?

No?

Then no.

Well either way @ChrisTurk

3. Randomacts

Ratings:
    +124,073
    Also I just realized that I have your hit in my queue :tinfoil:

• LOL LOL x 3
  4. SCN_Lab

SCN_Lab A3E907X9FH7DU6

Ratings:
    +5
    That sucks. I guess I will just wait for the angry emails and set things right.

@Randomacts Haha! Well, good luck. The good news is it'll take to 20-25 min as advertised now, not an hour. :)

• Like Like x 3
  5. Randomacts

Ratings:
    +124,073
    I believe that it is possible to scrape worker IDs from iframe loads but you would have to have that setup in the first place.

I barely know what I'm talking about anyways so hopefully @ChrisTurk can confirm this for you.

• LOL LOL x 1
  6. GreenMachine842

GreenMachine842 Moderator (⌐■_■)

Ratings:
    +13,816
    me too :lol:

• LOL LOL x 1
    • WOW WOW x 1