01/17 - Flowing Friday!

Discussion in 'Daily mTurk HITs Threads' started by Tripsa, Jan 17, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hatticus

Hatticus Grinch

Ratings:
    +15,999
    That is so cool! Like the good parts, not the killing part or Trail of tears part....

• Love Love x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. tricker

tricker Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +14,571
    I have a pic of my great great somewhere. That woman "passed" and married a white man.

But the pic I have of her she's in like her 80s and it's TOTALLY CLEAR she's Native American and how the heck did she pass? Maybe when younger it wasn't so obvious? But her old self was clearly Native American. and I think my papa looks Native American. But I also could think that because I was told he was.

• Love Love x 2
  3. afallstarxfall

afallstarxfall Well-Known Turker

Ratings:
    +878
    Title: Social Perception Study(~ 2 minutes) | PANDA
    Requester: Stanford GSB Behavioral Lab [A3OSXTUM1QEXNY]
    TurkerView: [ $14.21 / hour ]
    Description: You are invited to participate in a research study on social media advertising. We will ask your impressions of people and products shown in photographic advertisements, and you may also be asked to provide demographic information. This study takes 2 minutes.
    Duration: 20 Min
    Available: 0
    Reward: $0.30
    Qualifications:
    • Total approved HITs GreaterThanOrEqualTo 100,
    • Exc: [6119204-192221] DoesNotExist
    • HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 95,
    • Location In US,
    [36QDS77QM84FYZX3QPOCGOEWKRDHFQ]

4. Hatticus

Hatticus Grinch

Ratings:
    +15,999
    I love seeing old pictures like that. History fascinates me so much.

• Love Love x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. tricker

tricker Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +14,571
    That is awesome. My people come from the correct parts to be Cherokee and the generation above me would sign in blood that we are...but I want proof. And I'd only be 1/8th and the maximum anyway, so not much.

I might still do the testing just to see if any comes back at all.

• Love Love x 2
  6. IcyTundra

IcyTundra Tundra Thundra

Ratings:
    +17,080
    Yes we have pictures and my husband before College tried to get on the rolls and had a researcher trace his family. But they closed the rolls and never reopened them so he wasn't able to get any scholarships.

The chief of his families part of the Cherokee tribe was Chief Whooping Crane.

Part of the big problem is that even my husbands Dad didn't want to talk at all about the family in Tennessee or Oklahoma because it might put them at risk so we have very little information from them. He changed his families name for protection and then refused to talk about where the family lived, even into his 70's.

• Love Love x 1
  7. tricker

tricker Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +14,571
    I have a shitty copy of it at home (still at work rn). I'll upload it to Imgur soon and post it here for you to see and you tell me if you see white old lady or old Native American lady.

• Love Love x 3
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  8. tricker

tricker Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +14,571
    Jeebus this! This was an issue in my family for a long time, too! Papa's generation would NOT discuss it for the longest time. Like it was some horrid secret that had to be kept...then suddenly it all came out and we were proud of our Cherokee heritage.

But I mean, it makes some sense. Because generations ago it was dangerous and it took a long time to shed that fear and be open about it.

All that said...I'm still skeptical. I'm too scientific to not have proof now that it's easily available. Before genetic testing I just accepted it as fact but now I want proof, lol. My aunt says we have the documents proving it but I call bullshit on that if they were hiding it so hardcore back in the day.

• Love Love x 2
  9. IcyTundra

IcyTundra Tundra Thundra

Ratings:
    +17,080
    Yeah that's kind of what happened with S.O. - it's very diluted and because of how the family scattered you can pick up some Cherokee but have read that the DNA tests sometime won't show any. His showed some, but not as much as he technically has based on the research we've done because none of his ancestors, particularly older ancestors have been tested. So don't show up as family connections, etc.

• Love Love x 2
  10. Hatticus

Hatticus Grinch

Ratings:
    +15,999
    That's so sad. My family (on that side) is proud of their Native American history, but my family on the other side just recently decided to accept the fact that we're related to women in the S alem Witch Trials, so I totally know what you mean about the refusal to speak of it.

I would LOVE to see it!

• Love Love x 1
  11. Azazael

Azazael Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +8,173
    do it, im super curious too. we supposedly have a fair bit on both sides of my family but no one has pictures from the great great great relatives that would show it. all those somehow were lost/destroyed and ive wanted to do DNA testing but that requires $$$

• Love Love x 2
  12. IcyTundra

IcyTundra Tundra Thundra

Ratings:
    +17,080

Oh, no. Husbands parents both went to their graves not even telling us where we could find some Great Aunts in Tennessee because they were paranoid that what little land they still had was going to get taken away.

I was skeptical too about his family because I couldn't believe they wouldn't talk about it - but after they died I helped go through all of the paperwork and pictures and there is no doubt that everything we could find out was verified.

Again, though - his DNA test was pretty skimpy on the native american end because they (even said on the paperwork they sent) there just isn't enough data yet but more keeps coming every day and we keep getting more matches... but it's a low tested population.

• Love Love x 1
  13. Penelope

Penelope Survey Slinger TurkerView Masters

Ratings:
    +5,684
    Diana McLeod [AR5ZEXEW0WE3O] Attitudes Survey(~ 10 minutes) - $1.50 | PANDA

Generous

Unrated

Unrated
    $29.35 / hour
    00:03:04 / completion time
    Pros:
    Cons:

Qualifications: Exc: [-247446391-192228] DoesNotExist ; Total approved HITs >= 1000; HIT approval rate (%) >= 98; Location In US;
    To read Diana McLeod's full profile check out TurkerView!

14. IcyTundra

IcyTundra Tundra Thundra

Ratings:
    +17,080
    We finally did it because I got an Amazon coupon for buy one get one free. I'm bummed though because half my family has done Ancestry and half have done 23andme and I was told when I got 23andme there was a way to share databases, but it seems like they have stopped sharing them.

• WOW WOW x 1
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  15. tricker

tricker Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +14,571
    I just looked at a webpage I did with some family tree stuff. I might only be 1/16. Papa might be less than 1/2 because from the info I have his mom was NOT Cherokee. So the pic I have might be of my great great grandma...I'll see when I get home. The lore is so convoluted by Papa did always say he was part Cherokee and I always figured he knew his history better than me so I always believed him.

• Love Love x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. turkininin

turkininin Well-Known Turker

Ratings:
    +2,528
    CANDACE RAIO [A3QRNFVF1LU2C0] Psychology experiment - $10.00 | PANDA

Unrated

Unrated

Unrated
    $14.91 / hour
    00:40:15 / completion time
    Pros:
    Organized and written well. Breaks in between rounds of main task. Chance for a bonus, possibly a really large one.
    Cons:
    Practice trial is the same length as the main ones.

Qualifications: Total approved HITs > 100; HIT approval rate (%) > 98; Location EqualTo US;
    To read CANDACE RAIO's full profile check out TurkerView!

• Good Review! Good Review! x 2
  17. lapetitebaker

lapetitebaker Survey Slinger TurkerView Masters

Ratings:
    +7,895
    Kellogg Kteily Lab [A8VNY3KPRHHRC] Decision Making Study(~ 15 minutes) - $1.50 | PANDA

Generous

Unrated

Unrated
    $21.34 / hour
    00:04:13 / completion time
    Pros:
    Cons:

Qualifications: Total approved HITs >= 100; Exc: [183904091-192232] DoesNotExist ; HIT approval rate (%) >= 90; Location In US;
    To read Kellogg Kteily Lab's full profile check out TurkerView!

18. afallstarxfall

afallstarxfall Well-Known Turker

Ratings:
    +878
    Title: AI-composed Music evaluation | PANDA
    Requester: Joo-Wha Hong [A1MX2ZLY36GUYU]
    TurkerView: [ $8.55 / hour ]
    Description: You will listen to a music piece and evaluate it. You need to have your earphone/headphone ready to participate in this study.
    Duration: 60 Min
    Available: 1
    Reward: $0.50
    Qualifications:
    [35GRDJC93JOIIG44XUX4F2Q5VUG7CY]

19. Hatticus

Hatticus Grinch

Ratings:
    +15,999
    Mine was 8 generations back, so I guess I'm 1/8th or however that works.

• Love Love x 1
  20. tricker

tricker Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +14,571
    I do know that when I was getting tested for bone marrow donation I mentioned the family tree says I have some Native American in me and the people went cray cray because they never have enough donors of NA decent. And supposedly they were supposed to verify that from the blood they got from me and supposedly they did verify there is a trace of it in me somewhere.

You'd think I'd know my records better, eh? lol. but it's so confidential there's no way for me to log in and verify this. I signed up in 2004 so that was a long time ago now.

• Love Love x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.