01/17 - Flowing Friday!

Discussion in 'Daily mTurk HITs Threads' started by Tripsa, Jan 17, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IcyTundra

IcyTundra Tundra Thundra

Ratings:
    +17,080
    Lots of squiggly lines...
    too funny

2. tendur

tendur Active Turker

Ratings:
    +382
    Was the show broadcast on the east coast? For some reason I watched a lot of it growing up even though it looks like it was from MN. My uncle always had it on tape. :emoji_thinking:

• Like Like x 1
  3. IcyTundra

IcyTundra Tundra Thundra

Ratings:
    +17,080
    No, I think they started around the late 80's (88?- ish) on comedy central/comedy channel. They had a serious following. The show was silly - they basically watched old B movies and commented on how bad they were.

4. IcyTundra

IcyTundra Tundra Thundra

Ratings:
    +17,080
    Now people who are nostalgic about the show go watch them do this on tour. It's been 20 years basically of them making fun of old and silly movies.

• Like Like x 1
  5. tendur

tendur Active Turker

Ratings:
    +382
    I just remember the weirdest movies and the weirdest commentary. And a spaceship :emoji_rocket:. I'll have to find it again and see if it holds up

• Love Love x 1
  6. tsusoup

tsusoup Active Turker

Ratings:
    +209
    This may not be helpful (it could also be wrong in parts!) but I'll try, you probably already know some of this so I apologise. So PRE's are generated when too many requests hit mturk at once (or within a very short space of time). Mturk doesn't like it so it throws an error (PRE) up and says "you're doing this too often, I don't like it, slow down." One specific HIT shouldn't generate more PREs than another HIT. There are no "bad" HITs that make more requests than others. So deleting one HIT and starting from scratch may not be the solution.

It's also worth pointing out that when you're trying to "grab" a hit using panda crazy you're sending (typically) one request per second to mturk. You'll also be searching the platform for new hits at the same time, probably with hit forker, also set to search once a second. So if you've got two searchers on HF and one HIT in PC you're already sending three requests a second. This quickly adds up with multiple searches and lots of individual HITs in PC. Eventually it equals a lot of requests and then PREs.

When are you getting all the PREs? Is it when you fire everything up for the day? If so that could just be the impact of you starting a bunch of searches for HITS on Hit Forker and a load of individual HIT searches on PC. That should calm down after a while but ultimately you have to balance how much "stuff" you're throwing at the platform at once.

Others can probably elaborate and or correct if I'm wrong.

• Today I Learned Today I Learned x 2
  7. IcyTundra

IcyTundra Tundra Thundra

Ratings:
    +17,080
    Weirdly enough my sister and brother-in-law are such HUGE fans that they ended up with the robots and people in their house with pictures, etc. They are BIG fans :)

• LOL LOL x 1
  8. tendur

tendur Active Turker

Ratings:
    +382
    [​IMG]

• Love Love x 1
  9. Bob W

Bob W Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +6,051
    They only disappointed me once. And I may be over-boomering here.
    But there was an awful sci-fi movie which was showing a big computer overheating and starting to melt.
    The guys said something fairly inconsequential, when there was clearly only one thing to do.
    Which would have been singing the HAL 9000 computer's slowly running-down 'death song' Daisy... Daaaiiisssy...
    from 2001 A Space Odyssey.

• Love Love x 1
  10. IcyTundra

IcyTundra Tundra Thundra

Ratings:
    +17,080
    Thank you @tsusoup ! I mostly know a really scattered amount of stuff about all of this so appreciate your rundown. Very, very much.

Right now I only use MTS Catcher and don't have multiple pandas running which is why I was confused when I got some PRE's quickly and then nothing on other catches. So was thinking maybe I didn't understand how it works completely.

I haven't graduated to Panda Crazy but feel like that is probably my next step. (Or HIT Forker - not sure which path to run down next....)

I get some random PRE's on MTS but seems like more and more lately they come fast. Not the first "fire up" but on random ones, later in the day.

Again thanks for helping me sort this. Trying to be more effective and understand the best way to navigate everything.

• Love Love x 1
  11. afallstarxfall

afallstarxfall Well-Known Turker

Ratings:
    +878
    What's your speed you have it set on?

12. IcyTundra

IcyTundra Tundra Thundra

Ratings:
    +17,080
    Trying to find the pics of the robots in their house.... :)
    Was my brother-in-laws dream (in addition to Star Wars anything and Monty Python)

13. IcyTundra

IcyTundra Tundra Thundra

Ratings:
    +17,080
    Catcher 980

14. tendur

tendur Active Turker

Ratings:
    +382
    I don't do mTurk too seriously, but the MTS catcher works quite well for me. I have learned that 3-6 hits at 1000ms delay is the best setting. Might be different for you, or different scripts.

• Today I Learned Today I Learned x 1
  15. IcyTundra

IcyTundra Tundra Thundra

Ratings:
    +17,080
    Finder 3000

16. Azazael

Azazael Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +8,173
    ive been looking at this and for my 2c here. i run MTS almost all day, everyday, i get MAYBE 2 PRE a day at most, and thats even when i run 30 pandas at 1025ms each. i see you run less but there should not be any PRE collision at all. that makes no sense that you even get PRE if you arent even running that many pandas. something sounds wrong

• Like Like x 1
  17. IcyTundra

IcyTundra Tundra Thundra

Ratings:
    +17,080

They eventually put a corrected version out....

Here's Daisy at normal speed....

18. tendur

tendur Active Turker

Ratings:
    +382
    @IcyTundra, what scripts are you running (in full, if you know)?

If it's really only MTS catcher and finder it shouldn't be causing a PRE with those settings. Also, your internet service provider shouldn't have any effect on this number, a PRE is server side (Amazon). Maybe try upping the delay to 1000ms+ for the catcher. You should be able to find a point where it doesn't give you many, if at all, PREs. I'd try HIT catchter at 1300ms and go down from there until you get errors. Then back off a bit. :emoji_thumbsup:

19. ChrisTurk

ChrisTurk Administrator

Ratings:
    +162,927
    @slothbear when the bass drops & I'm writing comments.

upload_2020-1-18_0-23-39.png

• LOL LOL x 3
  20. tendur

tendur Active Turker

Ratings:
    +382
    2001 is still one of the best movies of all time, a lot of groundbreaking camera technique. Still love it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.