05/12 - Mental Awareness Friday

Discussion in 'Daily mTurk HITs Threads' started by humbleturker, May 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. humbleturker

humbleturker Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +11,133
    Let's face it. Mental illness sucks. And I know for a fact a few of us on here have it. However, that is not a means to think of said illness to degrade the quality of life we all have.

I've had a diagnosed case of OCD for years, and yeah, some days are better than others but most of the time, I have it under control with medication and mindfulness. My OCD manifests itself when it come to repeated thoughts, mostly negative. I deal with them, accept them, and just learn that at least for now, they're a part of my mental makeup. The important part is not to give OCD, or mental illnesses in general, any more strength because that's exactly what they want.

I invite everyone here who has a mental illness, has had one in the past, or knows someone that does to share their stories. Having a support group is one of the most critical aspects of conquering a mental illness. However, with anything else, that's only if you're comfortable in sharing the stories in question.

We've got each other's support. Hell, we spend most of the days helping each other make some money and make a living. All that I'm attempting to do is take this camaraderie one step further.

Remember, this is a no shame environment. I have been more than open with what I go through, and it's a part of the healing process and making one a better person.

I joke around the forum here, but this is one topic I'm absolutely serious on. We're all a family here, and in some cases, receiving a hello from someone or a positive word of encouragement may be the highlight of that person's day. Something so small can mean so much to them. Language has that effect to be immensely powerful.

If any of y'all want some good information on mental awareness, and I'm including stress as it directly affects it, here are a couple of videos I 100% recommend.

Just because it's powerful.

And some videos that I think are just good to know and could be the jumpstart you need.

[​IMG]

You are worth it, and we ALL believe in you.

Let's kick ass today.

• Love Love x 35
    • Like Like x 3
  2. DigitalDenizen

DigitalDenizen Well-Known Turker

Ratings:
    +2,044
    Have OCD too bro, Just learned that Dan from Game Grumps does too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8PUDA6hU2Q

• Love Love x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  3. DigitalDenizen

DigitalDenizen Well-Known Turker

Ratings:
    +2,044
  4. joie de vivre

joie de vivre Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +2,313
    My mother was schizophrenic. She was a really good woman. Really, I believe that she spent the better part of her life trying to figure out how to take care of me. I spend days wondering what would have made her happier. Honestly, I feel that there were a lot of things that I could have done for her that I didn't. I miss her.

• Love Love x 11
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Kayashi

Kayashi Titler

Ratings:
    +14,908
    Title: Problem-Solving and Lifestyle Choices(~ 20 minutes) | PANDA
    Worker: Preview | Accept | Requester
    Requester: Jenna Damico [AYN9H4BGSJGGB] (Contact)
    TO 1: [Pay: 4.00] [Fast: 5.00] [Comm: 0.00] [Fair: 5.00] [Reviews: 1] [ToS: 0]
    TO 2:
    Not Available
    Auto Approval: 30 days
    Time: 60 minutes
    HITs Available: 13
    Reward: $0.50
    Qualifications: SurveyGroup [363] has not been granted ; Masters has been granted; Exc: [41518-40929] has not been granted ; Location is one of: US;
    HIT exported from Mturk Suite v1.21.10
    5min

• Nom Nom Nom! Nom Nom Nom! x 6
  6. furiousloverv2

furiousloverv2 Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +3,851
    Good morning everybody :emoji_upside_down::emoji_money_mouth:

• Like Like x 4
  7. joie de vivre

Ratings:
    +2,313

8. Melting Glacier

Melting Glacier PE: $30.01 - That's over $1.25/hour! ┬┴┤( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴

Ratings:
    +11,423
    Title: Rate the quality of computer-generated speech - English@United States native only [#39ad] | PANDA
    Worker: Preview | Accept | Requester
    Requester: Speechfeedback [A2DPU6JE37X0YV] (Contact)
    TO 1: [Pay: 3.31] [Fast: 3.67] [Comm: 3.86] [Fair: 4.29] [Reviews: 85] [ToS: 2]
    TO 2:
    [Rate: $6.00/hr] [Pen: 5.00 days] [Res: -- of 0] [Rec: 100% of 1] [Rej: 0] [ToS: 0] [Brk: 0]
    Description:
    Listen to a recording of artificial speech and rate it on how correct and natural it sounds to you.
    Time: 60 minutes
    HITs Available: 2
    Reward: $0.60
    Qualifications: HIT approval rate (%) is greater than 95;
    HIT exported from Mturk Suite v1.21.8
    (probably) decent Speechies - one audio file per q

• Nom Nom Nom! Nom Nom Nom! x 14
  9. joie de vivre

Ratings:
    +2,313
  10. joie de vivre

Ratings:
    +2,313
  11. Sunlite

Sunlite Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +7,755
    Title: Word-Prediction Task | PANDA
    Requester: Wordovators Project [ANOM8CGGTCHS8] (Contact)
    TO: [Comm: 3.67] [Pay: 4.48] [Fair: 4.52] [Fast: 4.36] [Reviews: 35] [ToS: 2]
    Description: In this game, you will be asked to make judgments about which verb sounds better within the context of a sentence. During part of the task, you'll be asked to predict which answer your partner will pick. The game takes less than 30 minutes.

This game works best in recent versions of Chrome or Firefox. Mobile browsers are not advised.
    Time: 35 minutes
    HITs Available: 1
    Reward $3.00
    Qualifications: HIT submission rate (%) is greater than 1; Prediction Task Disqualification has not been granted; HIT approval rate (%) is greater than 90; Location is US;
    This HIT was posted through TurkerHub xPort Script v2 • Learn MoreInstall Here

• Nom Nom Nom! Nom Nom Nom! x 22
    • 5/5 Pay 5/5 Pay x 1
  12. joie de vivre

Ratings:
    +2,313
  13. Randomacts

Randomacts Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +124,073
    Oh neat this dropped while I was debugging my friend's macbook..

tl;dr his HDD is kill but the rest of it is fine so if he buys a new one I can throw a new copy of OSX on for him

• Like Like x 1
  14. Eisenpower

Eisenpower Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +11,870
    I have General and Social Anxiety. I'm paranoid about death, I hate driving, I have persistent sleep issues, and being social in real life is so fucking hard. Apparently, the GAD runs through my family, but they don't like to mention it until I find this out from the doctor at 24. :emoji_rolling_eyes: I'm 25 now and have everything under control (/s).

Everything together seems to be giving me recurring depression here and there. A little scared (or not scared) that I will become an alcoholic at some point. I don't drink a lot, I can just see the future as it's currently heading. I don't even want to think about the other thing I see there. I know some medicine that helps, but my security of insurance and doctor availability sucks. My general practitioner decided to cut me off with no warning after being on them for a year and the withdrawals had me ready to be a version of me I don't fucks with, so I'm a bit reluctant to trust that process again.

But, knowledge is power, right? I'm better off aware of these obstacles than not like before. Things would've been better off if I knew so many years ago, but I'm still in my 20s, so there's that. I know that's still very young to a lot of people, but the only problem is I'm also super ambitious and it feels like it would take several lifetimes to do everything I want to accomplish. The pace right now looks hopeless too. So, I'm 25 with a mid-life crisis lol.

I tend to be thorough when I talk about me or my opinions, so this ran long. If you guys didn't know, I really enjoy discussing deep topics like this and others. I do wish more people would be open like this with topics people like to hold close. It would keep a lot of people from suffering in silence or thinking they're weird for whatever reason. I'm shy in real life, but I'm super honest and/or not modest. - Soapbox - I'm not judgmental about what people do with their lives, though I will joke about it and everything else under the sun lol. I think it's important that people live their lives however they see fit. Don't let people's judgments of you hold you back. As long as you're safe, healthy, and happy, it doesn't matter how you live your life. You only get one. - End Soapbox -

I don't know how to quit talking (when I get started like this).
    I'll just make myself stop now.
    I was originally supposed to end before that parenthesis. lol
    I'm still going.
    I'll stop now.

Or will I? :behindsofa:

• Love Love x 14
    • Like Like x 3
  15. lefty

lefty Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +49,005
    This will probably be my hotd @ 10 min

• Like Like x 1
    • Nom Nom Nom! Nom Nom Nom! x 1
  16. joie de vivre

Ratings:
    +2,313
    Maybe, I'm in my mid forties. It's been the longest time since I gave even a small shit what another person thought I should do. My boyfriend is giving some resistance to that lately. I find that kind of attractive, but I'm smarter than him, so it is what it is.

Edit, having said that, he's steadier than me.

• Like Like x 3
  17. lefty

lefty Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +49,005
    I was diagnosed with ADHD as a child. After a rather bad treatment my older brother went through for the same, my mother refused to medicate me. I'm honestly grateful she did that. While I chew my cuticles on my thumbs to Oblivion sometimes and have trouble concentrating, it's very manageable and am glad the parents didn't medicate me, after the horror stories my mom told me about my brother.

• Like Like x 6
    • Love Love x 3
  18. Sunlite

Sunlite Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +7,755
    Title: Rate audio recordings of laughter(~ 30 minutes) | PANDA
    Requester: Niedenthal Lab [A1MNNI7BWD5KGB] (Contact)
    TO: [Comm: 4.50] [Pay: 3.63] [Fair: 5.00] [Fast: 4.95] [Reviews: 33] [ToS: 0]
    Description: Listen to 50 brief laugh samples and make judgments about them
    Time: 2 hours
    HITs Available: 1
    Reward $2.00
    Qualifications: SurveyGroup [397] has not been granted; Exc: [43454-42865] has not been granted; Location is one of:;
    This HIT was posted through TurkerHub xPort Script v2 • Learn MoreInstall Here

• Nom Nom Nom! Nom Nom Nom! x 10
  19. joie de vivre

Ratings:
    +2,313
    I hate driving too. I don't even like to be in a car very much. I have like three really great bicycles. And they are really great. Wind in my hair and what not.

20. Eisenpower

Eisenpower Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +11,870
    It's so stressful and unpredictable. I like riding though. When I was little, I would drive my mom crazy with all my questions and she would tell me to shut up and ride after a while. Then I started looking out the window and daydreaming all the time. I have my best daydreams and ideas in cars lol. It's also the place where sleep is almost unavoidable for me if I'm tired (also since childhood).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.