DAC7 Implemented do Americans have to?

Discussion in 'Help & Guides' started by Bigmomma, Dec 30, 2022.

1. Bigmomma

Bigmomma New Turker

Ratings:
    +4
    The EU has recently implemented the DAC7 directive that requires us to report MTurk workers’ taxable income. To be in compliance with this directive, please complete a DAC7 no later than February 28, 2023. If we do not have your tax information by then, you may be ineligible to continue to use the MTurk platform, which could also result in withheld payments. This was posted to day on my hits page. This is probably a dumb question but i wanna make sure though do Americans have to fill this out to or just those with the European Union?

2. chrisfuccione

chrisfuccione Turker

Ratings:
    +104
    No, it is not a dumb question. I am wondering the same thing.

• Like Like x 1
  3. carrie35

carrie35 Turker

Ratings:
    +23
  4. bill8200

bill8200 New Turker

Ratings:
    +8
    Bookmarking this page as I am also curious as to whether or not I should fill out this paperwork the HITs page is asking me for. (usa)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Saibra

Saibra New Turker

Ratings:
    +8
    I was envisioning all kind of complicated questions & such probably like a few of you but just decided to get whatever it was out of the way. I'm in the US.

If it helps I did it and it only asked if I used AWS for my business/company. When I answered no that was it, it pretty much said thanks and ended. (i.e., form complete)

• Like Like x 5
  6. bill8200

bill8200 New Turker

Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for that! After hearing from you how simple it was I did it as well and it was very fast, after selecting no for the first answer that was pretty much it. Unsure if I needed to do it or not, I'm USA, but at least I know now there won't be some mistake and have my turking interrupted.
    *the DAC7 notice at the top of my HIT page is still there however, perhaps it will go away in the next day or two, I will update here if it does
    [​IMG]
    UPDATE Jan 13 2023: As of today the notice has disappeared from my HITs page :)
    UPDATE Feb 09 2023: I got the new email today. So I went back in to retake the interview survey and this time I selected yes and filled out the form. Sounds like it doesn't matter if you live in EU or not (I'm USA). It's a fairly simple form, just have your TIN (tax payer identification number) ready and everything else is just name/address etc. *and like others have said, if you don't see your country in the drop down list, just wait a few days and try again

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2023
  7. Saibra

Saibra New Turker

Ratings:
    +8
    You're quite welcome. It's still on my page as well. I also think it will stay until whatever expiration date they've set whether you've completed it or not.

• Like Like x 1
  8. pressure9pa

pressure9pa Turker

Ratings:
    +62
    following

9. godmindconnection

godmindconnection New Turker

Ratings:
    +17
    Do any of you know if Prolific will be requiring Dac7 info as well? I am in the US and so far they have not emailed me anything regarding Dac7.

10. Saibra

Saibra New Turker

Ratings:
    +8
    My family member uses it daily and they haven't asked for it (yet?).

11. carrie35

carrie35 Turker

Ratings:
    +23
    the united kingdom has it's own thing that appears to be going into effect next year. so, perhaps they don't have to confuse workers by posting this thing from the eu.

12. carrie35

carrie35 Turker

Ratings:
    +23
    there is this:
    Handling Bank Accounts and Other Sensitive Data
    Financial account data such as bank accounts will need to be shared under DAC7, which brings with it privacy challenges. Any security breach that includes information such as date of birth and bank account numbers can also result in steep penalties in addition to reputational damage. Fetching such sensitive personally identifiable information data usually requires internal approval from the privacy team. As DAC7 requires sharing this data with multiple governments, such procedures must be considered when planning the next data-sharing submissions. The company’s data privacy officer must be kept up to date on all the changes brought about by DAC7.

https://news.bloombergtax.com/daily...-for-digital-platform-operators-as-dac7-looms

and this:

https://www.globalvatcompliance.com/globalvatnews/australia-new-gst-rules-from-july-2022/

Click-work Gig Digital Amazon mechanical turk

It seems suddenly the global powers have realized that "gig" work is a giant tax coffer.

my questions are does amazon get our permission just because we opened and signed this thing, to give our personal info including BANKING info to the eu? because we work on stuff from european universities, are amounts going to be deducted from our payments because of some sort of world tax for the eu? or are the researchers going to be charged an extra amount up front now because of this tax, making what they pay us less?
    Or is this simply a mistake and amazon decided not to accept that many of us live in the us?

• Today I Learned Today I Learned x 1
  13. carrie35

carrie35 Turker

Ratings:
    +23
    and one more thing ... if one thinks crypto is safe, well, there's dac8.

• LOL LOL x 2
  14. Ann Marie

Ann Marie New Turker

Ratings:
    +3
    Ledger NanoX + decentralized exchanges = total privacy; total safety. Not your keys, not your crypto.

15. Bigmomma

Bigmomma New Turker

Ratings:
    +4
    I received this email today even though i already filled it out in case but they stated : At this time, the requirement to complete the DAC7 tax interview has been temporarily postponed. You will receive further information when the tax interview is re-implemented on the Mechanical Turk Worker site.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  16. godmindconnection

Ratings:
    +17

Hello there. I am confused, because the email I received today says that we must select Yes, even if we live in the US. Did amazon get back to you after you clicked no? AWS is referring to being registered to work on Mturk, they claim.

17. Matthew John Nelson

Matthew John Nelson New Turker

Ratings:
    +6
    I just got an email from Amazon stating EVERY turker must fill this out and must click YES. They also stated if your country doesn't appear in the drop-down list to check back in a few days time to see if they have included it yet. Also today I tried to fill it out but the actual survey kept spinning on my screen. I assume they will fix this but I have no idea how soon.

From my email:
    On the Mturk Worker website, you will notice a banner displayed on the page requesting your participation in a survey. If we do not have your tax information by February 28, 2023, you may be ineligible to continue to use your Mturk Worker account, which could also result in withheld payments.

You will be asked if you are registered to sell professional services on the MarketPlace or for AWS IQ, for the purposes of the survey the answer is ‘Yes’.

Please see below for Frequently Asked Questions. If you have any other questions or concerns please let us know by reaching out to our customer service team

Thank you,

Amazon Mechanical Turk Team

FAQ’s

Q: Who needs to complete this survey?
    A: All Workers on Amazon Mechanical Turk.

Q: What does the process look like?
    A: You will proceed to a form that requests tax identification information.

Q: What happens if an error occurs during the survey?
    A: Please reach out to our Customer Support team at mturk.com/contact-us (https://na01.safelinks.protection.o...Qjz/9Ifr4231Tt3KE0kK7tuTABRewmJdY=&reserved=0) with a screenshot and details of the error (with any personally identifiable information from the survey removed)

Q: How long does the process take?
    A: It should require no more than 5 to 10 minutes.

Q: What if I accidentally enter something incorrect?
    A: At the conclusion of the survey you can click an option to retake the survey. If you have closed the survey window, you can click the link again and you will see the option to retake.

Q: What happens if my information cannot be verified?
    A: If your information is correct you should receive verification. If you submitted your information incorrectly, you can retake the survey.

Q: Does this apply to me as someone outside of the EU?
    A: Yes.

Q: My country isn’t included in the available countries drop-down during the tax interview questionnaire.
    A: We’re working internally to ensure all countries are included, and you will be provided additional time to complete the interview. Please attempt the interview again in a few days’ time when your country may be added.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2023
  18. Matthew John Nelson

Matthew John Nelson New Turker

Ratings:
    +6
    Apparently if you wait long enough the form stops spinning and you can fill it out.

19. godmindconnection

Ratings:
    +17

I also received that email, but I'm confused because many turkers claimed they clicked on no, when asked if they were registered and then the application ended. However, todays email claims that we must all click on Yes, regardless of location. Seems so strange, as we aren't even part of that region. Are they expecting us to pay the EU taxes??

20. lovemydogs

lovemydogs Well-Known Turker

Ratings:
    +401
    • Like Like x 2